WSJ - Microsoft Plans to Put Latest Call of Duty Game on Subscription Service, Sources Say

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Microsoft has reportedly decided to add the next installment of Call of Duty to Xbox Game Pass. The Wall Street Journal reports that Microsoft will announce that Call of Duty is coming to its game subscription service during the company's Xbox showcase on June 9th.

I reported earlier this month that Microsoft had been debating whether to put new releases of Call of Duty into Game Pass, with concerns from some at the company that the revenue generated from typical Call of Duty sales would be undermined by Game Pass. Activision traditionally sells copies of Call of Duty for around $70 or more, selling more than 20 million copies on average.

The brief Wall Street Journal report doesn't make it clear whether Microsoft plans to charge extra for Call of Duty inside Game Pass, nor whether the company will raise its Game Pass Ultimate subscription fee. I understand Microsoft has been considering raising the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate pricing again. Activision is currently targeting a late October release of the next Call of Duty, which is rumored to be set during the '90s Gulf War.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Most COD players on PS5, with I believe Steam right behind it but I may be off.

Would people on Steam forego buying it and just get it on Gamepass? I already expect some existing subs and maybe new subs may get enticed for players on Xbox already but it seems like if it does make some new subs for Gamepass it'll essentially be a Pyrrhic victory.

a-pyrrhic-victory.jpg

A Pyrrhic Victory is defined as a victory that is offset by staggering losses, to the extent that the victor incurs losses that are equal to or greater than those of the adversary. Its origin dates back to Pyrrhus, the king of Epirus (now part of present day Greece) who defeated Roman armies at Asculum in 280 B.C. and suffered such heavy losses of troops and commanders that he was unable to amass new officers and troops to sustain the war effort.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
someone here said it would never happen

I’ll hold the L :yeshrug:

But i think there are gonna be some drastic changes to gamepass between now and November to accommodate this, and thats not to say what will happen afterwards if it doesn’t have a huge impact on subs

SNG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Get ready for a big drop in quality. This were the body drop.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I will say if gamepass numbers don't move around after this, it's gonna be nasty.

It doesn't need to be a mass exodus, imo they shouldn't make any major assumptions until after two releases, but realistically after 6-8 months the heat is on for a change either way