Would Al Pacino have won best actor if Scarface was released today?

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All he got was a Golden Globe nomi.But seeing how movies have evolved today with the love of violent and adult themed movies.The love for a great bad guy.Tony Soprano,Alonzo in training day and so on..I think he would have won running away.Scarface was really ahead of its time.I haven't seen Robert Duvall in Tender Mercies who won the oscar that year.He's a hell of a actor.But times were so different then.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
All he got was a Golden Globe nomi.But seeing how movies have evolved today with the love of violent and adult themed movies.The love for a great bad guy.Tony Soprano,Alonzo in training day and so on..I think he would have won running away.Scarface was really ahead of its time.I haven't seen Robert Duvall in Tender Mercies who won the oscar that year.He's a hell of a actor.But times were so different then.

I don't think so. I think there would be a lot of people calling it hammy or overacting etc etc. Plus again, it's not a good flick. His performance is what makes the movie but overall:whoknows:

Roid Jones

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Love the film but it would not get any thing apart from xenophobic comments on social media

andre patton

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SoCal
I don't think so. I think there would be a lot of people calling it hammy or overacting etc etc. Plus again, it's not a good flick. His performance is what makes the movie but overall:whoknows:

Pacino was definitely over acting. We dont really notice it anymore, cause we just accept the fact thats how the nikka acts. But he wouldnt get award consideration for that...no way.

Plus like you said, the movie really isnt that great in the classic sense of what the academy looks for. I mean its one of my favorites, but you can clearly tell it doesnt fit the mold as the type of movie that the academy gives awards to.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Pacino was definitely over acting. We dont really notice it anymore, cause we just accept the fact thats how the nikka acts. But he wouldnt get award consideration for that...no way.

Plus like you said, the movie really isnt that great in the classic sense of what the academy looks for. I mean its one of my favorites, but you can clearly tell it doesnt fit the mold as the type of movie that the academy gives awards to.

Yeah that was definitely the start of his overacting phase but it's still a dope performance. But even when it dropped the movie was controversial. I think it would be more controversial now because we're a lot more PC as a society and would probably have issues with a non cuban playing a cuban. But in reality, the performance is so big and loud that it'd probably miss them just because they'd feel like it's hammy

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

the hell yall talkin about,movie was a masterpiece:comeon:......and we call charismatic "hammy" now?so wuz Denzel Hammy in training day:heh:?

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
EXACTLY. The most overrated film ever. Pacino was great but that script and the second half of the movie are a complete and utter mess

And no, he would not be nominated.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
the hell yall talkin about,movie was a masterpiece:comeon:......and we call charismatic "hammy" now?so wuz Denzel Hammy in training day:heh:?

Masterpiece my ass breh. No disrespect to you cause that's how you feel but the flick is subpar at best. Pacino saves the movie from being a train wreck. And Denzel only went over the top a couple times in the movie but he played it straight for the most part. Pacino was getting called out for being over the top back when the movie dropped so what would change between then and now? Denzel knew how to go big and then take it back and make Alonzo look like a real person; Pacino didn't do that with Tony

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Masterpiece my ass breh. No disrespect to you cause that's how you feel but the flick is subpar at best. Pacino saves the movie from being a train wreck. And Denzel only went over the top a couple times in the movie but he played it straight for the most part. Pacino was getting called out for being over the top back when the movie dropped so what would change between then and now? Denzel knew how to go big and then take it back and make Alonzo look like a real person; Pacino didn't do that with Tony
Even with pacino, the film is fukking trainwreck...Stone was coked outta his mind when he wrote it and it shows :russ:

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
He would not have won an Oscar for that performance.
But the movie would have done way better numbers if released today.

Pacino is largely forgotten for his best work. This generation equates Pacino with Scarface/Heat/Carlito's Way.
They really ignore his best work, which came in the 1970s.

I mean the only times I thought he was good in recent years was...probably that "You Don't Know Jack" movie about Jack Kevorkian. And I'm pretty sure that was an HBO movie.
And he was pretty good in Donnie Brasco....and The Insider.

But really, what else is there in the last 20-ish years?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Even with pacino, the film is fukking trainwreck...Stone was coked outta his mind when he wrote it and it shows :russ:

Anytime I see that shyt compared to goodfellas or the godfather :brehyourejoking:

He would not have won an Oscar for that performance.
But the movie would have done way better numbers if released today.

Pacino is largely forgotten for his best work. This generation equates Pacino with Scarface/Heat/Carlito's Way.
They really ignore his best work, which came in the 1970s.

I mean the only times I thought he was good in recent years was...probably that "You Don't Know Jack" movie about Jack Kevorkian. And I'm pretty sure that was an HBO movie.
And he was pretty good in Donnie Brasco....and The Insider.

But really, what else is there in the last 20-ish years?

Yeah the movie would've been a hit today most definitely but it's not even close to his best work even if it's his favorite performance.

Black White Sox Hat

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
but it's not even close to his best work even if it's his favorite performance.

Y'all tripping.The movie and his performance aint that damn bad.:rudy:

It's one of the most memorable characters in history.STILL making money.I'd say it is close to his best work.