Would African Americans Returning to Rural Areas Help the Communities?

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Edit: This thread got me thinking

Not to romanticize living in the country or anything (cuz the bugs are like WHOA!), but there could be some definite benefits:

-Opportunity to invest in local and private school districts FUBU

-Cheaper land, more room to spread out

-Learn to live off the land/survival skills.

Here’s some articles on black homesteaders

Some blacks are cashing in on the cannibus

And there are multiple resources too!

Iverson_64

Superstar
Daps
Maybe but my Gullah relatives in rural South Carolina are not living all that great. :francis:

Jobs are scarce, wages are low, healthy food access and diet is abysmal, and there's still issues with people attacking each other though it's not on the same level as the inner cities.

However, moneyed and educated urban Black people reclaiming the suburbs and rural areas and investing in those communities will be a smart move for sure.

The Half-Blood FKA Prince

Avada Kedavbreh!
Daps
Edit: This thread got me thinking

Not to romanticize living in the country or anything (cuz the bugs are like WHOA!), but there could be some definite benefits:

-Opportunity to invest in local and private school districts FUBU

-Cheaper land, more room to spread out

-Learn to live off the land/survival skills.

Here’s some articles on black homesteaders

Some blacks are cashing in on the cannibus

And there are multiple resources too!

Im with it. :salute:

Currently working on something like this with the fam. Hopefully soon that dream will become a reality.

DaKidFromNoWhere

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Tar Heel State
My family on my father side outside of Burgaw got about 5 miles worth of land on one road that started from when my great great grandfather was freed.
Got they own farm grow shyt and a few of my uncles and cousins driving log trucks making over a 100k a year. Even one cousin who is a professor at UNCW.
It can be done, if you lack excuses.
The 10 acres my grandmother passed down to my father he passing down to me and my sis.

rabbid

Superstar
Daps
You'd have to be on your Kutcher-Kunis tip and actually have the resources to transform the land around you. You just out there with a small shed and some livestock gone keep you stressed and probably end up abandoned. Plus you aint got good wifi so if you fall in a hole somewhere they might not find you for weeks.

I did a farm tour in Georgia for school and i didnt see many black families, but the families that were out there, you could tell it wasn't their sole property. They were also hustling and making money with secondary activities on the property besides just agriculture.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Maybe but my Gullah relatives in rural South Carolina are not living all that great. :francis:

Jobs are scarce, wages are low, healthy food access and diet is abysmal, and there's still issues with people attacking each other though it's not on the same level as the inner cities.

However, moneyed and educated urban Black people reclaiming the suburbs and rural areas and investing in those communities will be a smart move for sure.

I couldn't help but think of my mother's roots in Madison county Florida. Being from Baltimore it's still wild for me to see a REAL rural black town with 2 stop lights and a homes with dirt driveways.

But like your gullah relatives that town is underdeveloped. No grocery stores, hospitals, and the nearest Walmart is a 35 minute drive on the highway to Valdosta.

No bars or restaurants but for fun you can get drunk at a family members house all day/night. Or drive an hour to Tallahassee for a night out

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Booksnrain,

If you don't mind me asking, are you a child (or 1,2,3,4 generations removed) of The Great Migration?
It wasn't just from South to North and West, but also from rural South to metro South areas.

Closer your ties are to that migration, seems the easier it would be make the adjustment.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
You have to have a community first

There are no Black communities in America period.

A community means having your own Banks, hospitals, grocery stores, ect. The is no area that has Black banks, hospitals, grocery stores, ect. So just buying land and building a home not doing shyt for a community that doesn't exist.