World’s Longest Glass Bridge, 590ft High, Opens In China – Tourists Too Scared To Walk It

BlackAchilles

Veteran
Daps
348sy0n.jpg
I'm good bruh

MalikReloaded

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Man....everything the chinese build is fugazi.

:russ: at trusting a glass bridge 1000 feet in the sky

Deadpool1986

Cook with a Mouth
Daps
Reppin
#midnightboyz/ #Neggas-Black & White/ #TNT
AAfbNlR.img

People look at a cracked glass tile on a glass-bottomed walkway in Yuntaishan in Jiaozuo, Henan province, on October 7, 2015

Thrill-seeking tourists in China got more than they bargained for when cracks appeared in a glass-bottomed walkway suspended 1,080 meters (3,540 foot) over a canyon, reports said.

Images showing small cracks in the "skywalk" built around a mountain, which opened just two weeks ago, spread on social media along with doubts over its safety.

"When I was almost at the end (of the walkway), there was a sudden loud bang and a tremor beneath my feet," the state-run China Net cited one woman as saying on Tuesday.

The cracks resembled "winter frost on a window pane", the report said, and were apparently caused by a dropped stainless steel cup.

But the incident at Yuntai mountain in the northern province of Henan "doesn't affect safety", park officials were quoted as saying.

The glass made up of three layers is supposedly capable of supporting up to 800 kilograms (1,763 pounds) per square metre, they said.

The incident occured during China's hectic week-long national holiday period, when tens of millions take pleasure trips.
Cracked Chinese glass bridge alarms tourists
So all it took was for one cup to drop for a layer to crack, a couple more and you're on a one way trip to the bottom of the mountain real quick.

CarbonBraddock

You will be trolled
Daps
I guess my question is... why?

As an engineer, I realize there are always tradeoffs when designing anything, but in all cases, you want to use the best tool (or in this case, material) for the job.
I can't imagine a scenario where the designers of a BRIDGE decided that an amorphous solid (glass) was the best choice in terms of safety, reliability, or longevity. Only thing I can think of is cost and wow factor, but those are incredibly shortsighted requirements to design to when building a bridge.

Sure, it looks cool and it was bound to make the newspapers, but we're not talking about a sculpture here, we're talking about a bridge and people's lives.
In conclusion, the engineer in me is :smh: at this shyt.

yes, and i am not an engineer but i feel like my engineering knowledge surpasses this guy's. i agree with his comments wholehoggedly and cosign his post.