Working for your oppressor...

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hear people talking about our own business a lot. What kind of business? Who is the target market?
Agriculture, energy, water, real estate, clothing, media and transportation Target areas.

Examples:

Agriculture: farms, urban farming, food products
Energy: solar panels,
Water: water purification
Real estate: apartments single family homes
Clothing: shoe factorys etc
Media: film,print,music etc
Transportation: big rigs, other trucks to transport goods

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Yeah. What other solution to lack of funding are they gonna get? More black businesses more funding.

It's not that simple. You don't just get funded, or get money donated.

I've actually dedicated a bit of my time writing grant proposals, I only charge organizations unless they are funded. Community organizations and businesses should work together, because being involved in your community means your voice will be out there, when tragedies like that of Trayvon Martin occur. Again, just my two cents.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not that simple. You don't just get funded, or get money donated.

I've actually dedicated a bit of my time writing grant proposals, I only charge organizations unless they are funded. Community organizations and businesses should work together, because being involved in your community means your voice will be out there, when tragedies like that of Trayvon Martin occur. Again, just my two cents.
Well, that's up to the people with the money. That's where a code of conduct comes in. Can't force people, only can ask.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's why folks should have fundraising events and support their community non profit organizations. Political campaigns do it all the time.

Truth. How to get them to participate is another discussion though.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Tbh we could set up a group on this site and start providing micro loans and giving them out once a month... I know I would personally put up money. But, black empowerment isn't real on here just discussion.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Small start ups. Like if you have a start up and need an extra push

Maybe you should write out a concrete plan, start up a group on here, send out invites and present your idea before completely dismissing everyone here as just talk, unless that applies to you too :yeshrug:

It's not a bad idea. Lot of posters here, dont know how many but say you get 500 people to put up $5 each thats $2500 which depending on the goal that's a good chunk to have. Say someone wants to start a lawn care service, that amount pretty much covers the equipment.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's tuff to get up and work for The Man (and I know I ain't the only Coli Member working for The Man:mjpls:). Wish there was an accessible BLACKEXCELLENCE foundation in the

marketplace I could apply to. But, on my quest of making a decent living, I still rep my Real

African pride:boss:, no matter the CaCafied surroundings I'm unfortunately in. And, word to my

ancestors, I starve before I ever lose my dignity for peanuts:ehh:

Last edited:

TL15

Veteran
Daps
The thing that people get caught up in is the "immediacy" of things. In order to save 2k (let's assume you make an extra 200 of expendable income each month) it would take you ten months to save that money. I know some people that can put that away and some that can't and (most unfortunately) some that wont. Things aren't going to change overnight and I think that is the most difficult thing for most people to cope with.

Not everyone has the entrepreneurial spirit. Some people don't think of it as "their oppressor" because they don't feel oppressed. I know our board of directors where I work is headed by a white man and I am working tirelessly, developing myself through education, and saving my money to be in business for myself soon; not because of my "oppressor" because I want to be independent.

Where we need to start is empowering ourselves. Saying someone is your "oppressor" directly gives them power. What we should focus on is getting educated, saving our money, and pulling each other upward.