Working for your oppressor...

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I watched this video earlier and he is right. We have to get a strong Black economic base. We mos def been to work on starting our own businesses

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
When did he disagree with Dame? He was very supportive of Dame from everything I seen.
I must be mistaken then, my apologies. There was a guy on Watkins' youtube channel that was disagreeing with everything Dame was saying. I automatically assumed he cosigned the guy that was standing in for Dr. Watkins that day.

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
@A.R.$ , here's the video I was talking about. Props for clearing up my misunderstanding concerning Dr. Watkins viewpoint.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So what do you guys propose to be able to not work for the man? Seriously?
Dr. Boyce Watkins give a few ideas in the video. He mentioned a group of Black people coming together and investing in a business. If five people can raise $2000 each that's $10,000 to start a business. He also states in another video that he's not telling you to go out and quit your job tomorrow, but make sure you have "fukk you" money just in case some shyt goes down.

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Dr. Boyce Watkins give a few ideas in the video. He mentioned a group of Black people coming together and investing in a business. If five people can raise $2000 each that's $10,000 to start a business. He also states in another video that he's not telling you to go out and quit your job tomorrow, but make sure you have "fukk you" money just in case some shyt goes down.

Okay but besides black business? What are other solutions? Some people may not want to own a business, some may want to work for their community via an organization like a non profit? Does he propose those businesses fund these non profits? Because I think its very sad that when black non profits are struggling, they fail to find funding in their own community, and when there is no government funding there are no back up solutions. I think black businesses can work in conjuction with non profit/community based organizations, providing them spaces and venues to operate from and do their fund raising, and there's benefits behind being a 501 (c) organization being that they don't have to pay federal taxes. We should work together with community leadership positions as well as business leadership positions. You can't have one without the other, sounds counter productive. That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong. :ld:

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Okay but besides black business? What are other solutions? Some people may not want to own a business, some may want to work for their community via an organization like a non profit? Does he propose those businesses fund these non profits? Because I think its very sad that when black non profits are struggling, they fail to find funding in their own community, and when there is no government funding there are no back up solutions. I think black businesses can work in conjuction with non profit/community based organizations, providing them spaces and venues to operate from and do their fund raising, and there's benefits behind being a 501 (c) organization being that they don't have to pay federal taxes. We should work together with community leadership positions as well as business leadership positions. You can't have one without the other, sounds counter productive. That's just my opinion though, I could be wrong. :ld:
I'm not sure about Dr. Boyce Watkins views on non profits, but I do agree with your post.

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Non profits need to ask the black businesses to donate to them..

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda

So much truth in this post, the black businesses fund the NPO and grassroots for these groups to dedicate themselves fully to the people. This would cause an increase in community development. One of the problems I see here with NPO is that the people in them can't fully dedicate themselves due to having to work for someone else who doesn't look like them and who could care less about the black community.