Women in Ghana are fighting back against societal pressure to bleach their skin

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
also I think another reason why a lot of Africans seem to take kindly to light skin is simply b/c its a novelty:yeshrug: its considered"exotic"

same reason why quite a few Europeans are attracted to dark skin. Its just different than the norm.

With that said, colorism doesn't really seem to be that big of a deal, not like how it is here.

Daps
Reppin
Stoic disciples
yes I watched the video

What does that have to do with skin bleaching
Our names are a reflection of how we individually define our identity thus directly influencing our actions.
If you don't see the wider cultural implications of her bearing such names then there is nothing more to be said here.

Last edited:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Our names are a reflection of how we individually define our identity thus directly influencing our actions.
If you don't see the wider cultural implications of her bearing such names then there is nothing more to be said here.
What is your name?

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
do you think exspoure to American and British media and migration patterns have to do with it?
I notice the girl in the video had a British accent

Probably, but it's exposure to western media in general, such as french media in francophone Africa. And the history of colonialism (even though less and less people actually experienced colonialism, the society still carries it's memory).

CrownHeights

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I think so.

according to what I've heard from my sister. A lot of the youth are obssessed with western media/culture. Thats why I lol when people say "them Africans don't like us"

And apparently the bleaching phenomenon is relatively new.

I'm sure colonialism and christianity are the root of why so many people worship of europeans and light skin.

As far as the lady's accent,That just seems to be common among the educated in Ghana tbh.

This irks me to no end when people say that. All the African brehs I've met have always been cool and said they love AA culture over in their respective countries. Just a few uptight African brehs who have an issue with us (media has a huge roll in that).

Afrodroid

God bless Black People!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rio De Janeiro, BR
2:43 mark: "Well, here in Africa, there's a saying that goes that when you're going to church and you see a white man on the way you better go back home because you've seen God" :guccimeh:
They talk a lot about the awareness of the diaspora, but the Motherland needs an intervention as well :dpsad:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
2:43 mark: "Well, here in Africa, there's a saying that goes that when you're going to church and you see a white man on the way you better go back home because you've seen God" :guccimeh:
They talk a lot about the awareness of the diaspora, but the Motherland needs an intervention as well :dpsad:
:laff:muthafuker got to be trolling

Do we have any posters from Ghana?