Women in Ghana are fighting back against societal pressure to bleach their skin

timeless

All Star
Daps
Internet is definitely a blessing in this case. I hope Black men and women all over the world see this and really take heed that companies make billions off of our insecurities. I know that since the natural hair movement gained momentum, more and more mega wyte companies started making more "curly" hair friendly products.

Now I don't bleach but I do use oil to even my skin. Unfortunately a lot of us think bleaching cream will help with acne scars, age spots, and hyperpigmentation. We have to learn that such cream is filled with things that chemically alter your skin and seep deep into your skin. Everything you put in you and on you effects you.

Rosehip oil is great for Black women because it actually heals our skin from its deepest layers, allowing our new skin to rise much clearer than before. Also silica and biotin help too.

Sorry for the rant lol I just really want us to be cautious about what we are doing to our bodies.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Was the mixed population ever that big? And outside the Portuguese colonies and I don't believe there was widespread mixing

Idk it seems to me that Africans bleaching is more about beauty and westernization than any color caste system

Anyway bout to watch now

Indeed it was mostly in the portguese colonies, but the main point is that the IMAGE of "white is right" is worldwide. A large mixed or light-skinned population isn't needed for that.

Also let's not forget that you can light-skinned 100 % Africans, there's no need for an outside factor. Being that light-skinned women are less numerous than others, they can be more pursued by men. For a risky comparison, think about blondes vs brunettes in Europe. You have brunettes dying their hair to appear blond, but the contrary is more rare.

Umoja

Veteran
Daps
It was posted at 5:18AM breh :pachaha:

Anyway, can't watch because I'm at work but I've always said that colorism is a much bigger issue outside the US, which is why I laugh when American folks complain about colorism in the states

My thing is, what benefit is there to being lighter skin in Africa. I understand the Caribbean and Latin America but Africa? AFAIK most African nations don't have entrenched light skin elite classes

Unfortunately people with a darker complexion are disadvantaged when it comes to finding work.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Indeed it was mostly in the portguese colonies, but the main point is that the IMAGE of "white is right" is worldwide. A large mixed or light-skinned population isn't needed for that.

Also let's not forget that you can light-skinned 100 % Africans, there's no need for an outside factor. Being that light-skinned women are less numerous than others, they can be more pursued by men. For a risky comparison, think about blondes vs brunettes in Europe. You have brunettes dying their hair to appear blond, but the contrary is more rare.
Unfortunately people with a darker complexion are disadvantaged when it comes to finding work.
I think it's disappointed for us in the diaspora that this is happening in Africa of all places

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I think it's disappointed for us in the diaspora that this is happening in Africa of all places

Yeah I'm not "surprised" by it (but nonetheless find it horrible) because I saw it growing up in CAR, even though for whatever reason (maybe economic?) it seemed to be less widespread there than in other places. I realize that somewhat contradicts my initial point of it being widespread everywhere :jbhmm:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Yeah I'm not "surprised" by it (but nonetheless find it horrible) because I saw it growing up in CAR, even though for whatever reason (maybe economic?) it seemed to be less widespread there than in other places. I realize that somewhat contradicts my initial point of it being widespread everywhere :jbhmm:
I'm half Jamaican and I have several Asian friends so I'm not "surprised" that people bleach

By often is in the diaspora have an idea of Africa that doesn't mesh with the reality:wow:

mbewane

Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
I'm half Jamaican and I have several Asian friends so I'm not "surprised" that people bleach

By often is in the diaspora have an idea of Africa that doesn't mesh with the reality:wow:

Yeah very true, not to digress but I see it in various threads on the coli (much less in the root though) where the diaspora projects its own representations and ideas of Africa onto Africa. Even myself, who actually grew up in CAR, stay informed and whatnot don't feel I have much legitimacy to speak on Africa, which is astonishingly diverse and complex.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah very true, not to digress but I see it in various threads on the coli (much less in the root though) where the diaspora projects its own representations and ideas of Africa onto Africa. Even myself, who actually grew up in CAR, stay informed and whatnot don't feel I have much legitimacy to speak on Africa, which is astonishingly diverse and complex.
This exactly why I haven't commented on this thread.

I haven't been to ghana in 13 years so I can't even speak on this.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

This exactly why I haven't commented on this thread.

I haven't been to ghana in 13 years so I can't even speak on this.
do you think exspoure to American and British media and migration patterns have to do with it?
I notice the girl in the video had a British accent

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
do you think exspoure to American and British media and migration patterns have to do with it?
I notice the girl in the video had a British accent
I think so.

according to what I've heard from my sister. A lot of the youth are obssessed with western media/culture. Thats why I lol when people say "them Africans don't like us"

And apparently the bleaching phenomenon is relatively new.

I'm sure colonialism and christianity are the root of why so many people worship of europeans and light skin.

As far as the lady's accent,That just seems to be common among the educated in Ghana tbh.