Women in Ghana are fighting back against societal pressure to bleach their skin

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I don't know why this thread hasnt gotten traffick. Very interesting.

@How Sway? @CashmereEsquire @MansaMusa @Dip

I have seen a few Liberians that bleach but they usually get clowned for it when they go out in public. I'll never understand the mindset though but it seems to me that this is common amongst younger generations (as in Gen X and after) who probabaly literally worship the western world.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I don't know why this thread hasnt gotten traffick. Very interesting.

@How Sway? @CashmereEsquire @MansaMusa @Dip
It was posted at 5:18AM breh :pachaha:

Anyway, can't watch because I'm at work but I've always said that colorism is a much bigger issue outside the US, which is why I laugh when American folks complain about colorism in the states

My thing is, what benefit is there to being lighter skin in Africa. I understand the Caribbean and Latin America but Africa? AFAIK most African nations don't have entrenched light skin elite classes

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)

Anyway, can't watch because I'm at work but I've always said that colorism is a much bigger issue outside the US, which is why I laugh when American folks complain about colorism in the states

My thing is, what benefit is there to being lighter skin in Africa. I understand the Caribbean and Latin America but Africa? AFAIK most African nations don't have entrenched light skin elite classes

Thats what I was thinking...:dwillhuh::dwillhuh::dwillhuh:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Once again I can only speak for Liberia, but historically colorism was never an issue. The issue when the Americo liberian elite class was established was indigenous traditions being seen as uncivilized and people wanting to adopt western names and religion.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium

The image of "white is right" is worldwide breh, lest we forget these countries were colonized (White = Ruler) and indeed in various countries mixed people formed an elite used by the colonizers to rule over the rest of the locals.

People in Africa end up watching the same movies, see the same magazines etc in which the beauty standard is the white european/american woman. A lot of men also fall for that and will chase lighter skinned women more. It's different dynamics than in the US, Caribbean or Latin America indeed, but the core reasoning ("white is beautiful") and end-result (skin bleaching) are the same.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
The image of "white is right" is worldwide breh, lest we forget these countries were colonized (White = Ruler) and indeed in various countries mixed people formed an elite used by the colonizers to rule over the rest of the locals.

People in Africa end up watching the same movies, see the same magazines etc in which the beauty standard is the white european/american woman. A lot of men also fall for that and will chase lighter skinned women more. It's different dynamics than in the US, Caribbean or Latin America indeed, but the core reasoning ("white is beautiful") and end-result (skin bleaching) are the same.
Was the mixed population ever that big? And outside the Portuguese colonies and I don't believe there was widespread mixing

Idk it seems to me that Africans bleaching is more about beauty and westernization than any color caste system

Anyway bout to watch now