Women happier than men after divorce, study finds

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
Despite the hellishness of divorce — emotional turmoil, disrupted living arrangements, and a shrinking income — there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, especially for women, a new study has found.
Research published in the journal Economica has found that women are much happier and satisfied with their lives following divorce.
“In the study we took into account the fact that divorce can sometimes have a negative financial impact on women, but despite that it still makes them much happier than men” said lead author Yannis Georgellis, director of the Centre for Research in Employment, Skills and Society at the Kingston Business School in London, England.
“Getting out of a long-lasting bad marriage is a possible explanation,” he said in an email.
The study involved an ongoing survey of 10,000 people between the ages of 16 and 60. Over a period of 20 years, participants were regularly asked to rate their happiness after major milestones, including divorce, death of a spouse and loss of a job.

Researchers examined the psychological process of “adaptation,” or the way in which we adjust to new circumstances.

They found that women are significantly more content than usual for up to five years following the end of their marriages. In fact, they are even happier during this time than compared to their average or “baseline” of happiness throughout their lives.

While men also felt happier following divorce, the increase was much less marked than for women.

Georgellis said the study is a hopeful one for women who might be afraid of the huge life changes that come with divorce.
‘There is always hope that life will be better than before marriage,” he said.
The findings may even bolster the courage of women who might be too afraid to take the bold step.

“As the results of the study suggest, on average women are better off after divorce so there is no need to be frightened. But again we are talking about on average,” Georgellis said.
Guy Grenier, an adjunct psychology professor at the University of Western Ontario, said other studies have shown men are happier after divorce. A big factor affecting happiness is financial stability, and following divorce men’s incomes have historically dropped by about 25 per cent compared to 50 per cent for women.

“Now that trend is beginning to change,” he said, noting that in recent decades women have been marrying later, staying in school longer, establishing careers and earning more money.
Grenier is also a marital therapist and author of the book, The Ten Conversations You Must Have Before You Get Married (And How to Have Them) . He says it’s really not surprising that women as well as men are happier after getting out of a bad marriage.

“Sometimes couple’s therapy is actually giving people permission to recognize this is a bad relationship and you are allowed to leave,” he said.
Doreen Fumia, an associate professor of sociology at Ryerson University, said one reason men may not be as happy as women following divorce is that they have to take on more of the domestic work traditionally done by women.

“The second thing is men don’t have friendship circles in the same way women do. Women tend to have a support system in place and often the girlfriends are the people they have a lot of fun with and they are freed up to go out with the girls,” she said.

MAKAVELI25

the heir apparent
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
Breh, you're one of the few posters on here I actually like. But its getting hard defending how many threads about marriage you make considering your stance on it :ld:

BrownBabyDoll

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I didn't get shyt from my divorce but tax debt and I didn't ask for anything either. My life has been 100% better. New job, new degree. Doing great, lmao. Still miss that dude sometimes:sadcam:.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Well they take the ex-husband's money and continue fukking the new guy she was during the marriage on hubby's dime. Seems like a win win to me. :ld:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Did y'all read the article, (never mind, why bother :comeon:) after divorce men's incomes drop an average of 25%, women's drop 50%. WOMEN SUFFER MORE FINANCIALLY DURING DIVORCE THAN MEN DO. It's not because of her ex husbands money. It's been documented heavily in the literature that women tend to have richer and better developed friendships than men do. This is big factor as to why single women live longer then single men. It's also why a single man's life expectancy is so much shorter than a married man's. Men don't know how to take care of themselves, they need women to do it for them. Women are better at establishing support networks and stuff, and when they leave the relationship, they take those support networks with them.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
Don't get married. But if u must :upsetfavre:

Marry a woman whose parents are STILL married. U can take that piece of advice to mean whatever u want it to mean :mjpls:

Shout out to the people currently married right now but holla at me in 20 years. If its still going strong, u did something most Americans will never do personally :whoo: