Wizards fire GM Tommy Sheppard, Alhamdullilah! Free daps and reps for all!

Good move?

• Total voters

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Damn I was reading y’all’s off-season thread and it seemed like he was safe.
I don’t follow this franchise like that… what was the talk of the town regarding him as a gm?

Haven’t they always had kinda mid talent? Or have they been considered underachievers generally

Were they legit in the KD sweepstakes a few years ago? Or was that cap?
Why was he fired now? Seems like the same shyts been happening his whole tenure.
Honestly it’s par for the course for that franchise. It seems as if the goal is to yield a profitable team that plays competitive basketball. Which is definitely not a negative but this causes them to never reset really or make resignings such as for example Kuzma.

Ernie Grunfeld was fired in 2019 after 16 years. He built the Arenas-led teams that reached the East Semis once and got beat by LeBron yearly in Round 1. Then gun-gate happened in 2010. He blew up the roster and was allowed by Leonsis to rebuild (Leonsis took over ownership from the late Abe Polin in Summer 2010 which was the same time the Wizards won the lottery and Wall was drafted).

The Warriors, who had a similar history to the Bullets/Wizards since the 1970s and being a terrible to mediocre franchise also got a new owner in 2010. He got himself Jerry West and Bob Myers in 2011 to revamp the organization from the top down. And that saved the career of Steph Curry.

Leonsis didn't do what Lacob did in GSW. He kept Ernie. Who ruined the team's ceiling for the Wall era. He had 2 1st round picks in 2011 and drafted two busts. Drafting Beal and Porter in the top 3 wasn't rocket science, that was where they were mocked in many places. He routinely traded picks for win now moves and limited what the Wizards could do in a weakened Eastern conference with those transactions.

But Leonsis was fine with making the playoffs, reaching the 2nd round, and selling merch and new season tickets based on those Wall-led teams.

Now, who was Ernie's right hand man for all of this? Tommy Sheppard.

Ernie gets fired during a disasterous 2018-19 season. He traded Oubre for a washed up Ariza, had to salary dump Otto Porter to avoid the luxury tax, and got right back into the lottery.

Tommy takes over and he has to work to get up under from Grunfeld's mess. He built a team that had the worst backcourt defense in NBA history in 2019-20.

He made "OK" draft choices with Hachimura, Avdija, Kispert, and perhaps Davis. But he passed up on Tyrese Haliburton, who he told he was drafting, they could be working with Trey Murphy rather than Kispert, and with Davis we all know that Jalen Williams was taken two spots afterwards and don't tell me we're saying its hindsight. Wizards twitter was talking about Jalen Williams during the college season when he was mocked 2nd round.

The drafting killed Sheppard and I'm actually impressed that Leonsis fired him so he wouldn't be able to make another lottery selection.

With trades, he did well with the Westbrook trade but again fumbled the 2021 Lakers 1st by using it to trade down to get the worst Holiday brother and then drafting Isaiah Todd who probably has no future in the NBA.

He did well to get Bertans from the Spurs for nothing. But didn't trade him when his value was highest.

He did well to get Porzingis for that bum Bertans and Dinwiddie last year.

He did amazing to get Daniel Gafford from Chicago for Troy Brown.

But it looks like he lost the trade of KCP to DEN for Monte Morris and washed up Will Barton.

It looks like he lost the Hachimura trade to LAL since Kendrick Nunn is a bum and the three 2nd round picks are iffy in terms of the talent you can get for them. One of those 2nd rounders is in this 2023 draft so you may be able to get a player if the GM knows how to draft..

He let Kris Dunn go to Utah when he could have easily opened a roster spot for an impressive Capital City Go-Go reclamation project.

He didn't do consolidation trades when he had a collection of mid veterans all looking to get paid in 2021-22 and you had Wes Unseld Jr as a first year coach trying to navigate that BS.

Tommy can't build teams. He relies on trades too much. He can't build a foundation and that's with the draft.

Whoever Leonsis hires has to hit in the draft. It's the only way for this franchise to get talent.

So give me Langdon from the Pelicans. Give me anyone in the Grizzlies front office.

It's also a common misconception that Leonsis needs playoff games to make a profit. The Wizards are already profitable without making the playoffs. They had a $90M operating profit in 2021-22 winning 35 games.

Last edited:

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
Wizards lowkey was the worst FO, though I think Rui balling and the reality they need to pay Kuzma & KPa lot of money to not produce in the playoffs was the last straw.

Me personally I would move Beal, S&T Kuzma, and let KP walk if he wants to opt out. They need to bottom out.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Wizards lowkey was the worst FO, though I think Rui balling and the reality they need to pay Kuzma & KPa lot of money to not produce in the playoffs was the last straw.

Me personally I would move Beal, S&T Kuzma, and let KP walk if he wants to opt out. They need to bottom out.
I think Rui scoring 30 his last game with the Wizards and starting the postseason hot had to have Leonsis pissed.

Beal only gets moved if he waves his no trade clause.

Kuz should be S&T.

Porzingis controls his situation. He wants to stay. I have no problem keeping him and moving him later on.

Damnshow

Veteran
Daps
Wow they got rid of their WOAT GM. That's maybe a minor improvement and a step forward for this horrible treadmill organization.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Wow they got rid of their WOAT GM. That's maybe a minor improvement and a step forward for this horrible treadmill organization.
50 minutes into this podcast they brought up Tommy being the one who pushed for Jan Vesley while Flip Saunders screamed for Klay Thompson

And at 56-57 minutes in, Tommy who is boys with Woj and Jonathan Givony (DraftExpress) would ALWAYS go with the consensus mock drafts from ESPN. So, when Den Avdija is mocked #4 to Chicago on ESPN in 2020... and he starts to fall and you tell Tyrese Haliburton you're picking him literally two picks before... then change your tune when Deni drops, its cause of that.

So disgusting. @mastermind @Black @thewiz @lochead @L&HH @boskey @Blackrogue

lochead

All Star
Daps
Reppin
I'm from where Petey come from
50 minutes into this podcast they brought up Tommy being the one who pushed for Jan Vesley while Flip Saunders screamed for Klay Thompson

And at 56-57 minutes in, Tommy who is boys with Woj and Jonathan Givony (DraftExpress) would ALWAYS go with the consensus mock drafts from ESPN. So, when Den Avdija is mocked #4 to Chicago on ESPN in 2020... and he starts to fall and you tell Tyrese Haliburton you're picking him literally two picks before... then change your tune when Deni drops, its cause of that.

So disgusting. @mastermind @Black @thewiz @lochead @L&HH @boskey @Blackrogue

GOD I hate this fuccin franchise :mjcry:

Blackrogue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Nai
you know why im here

60f.gif

lib123

All Star
Daps
Most Wizards fans like Kyle the person. He’s a good dude.

We even like his game cause there’s not a lot of 6’10” dudes who can play-make and be switchable on defense.

But he’s an incredibly inefficient offensive player. He turns over the rock a lot too. He’s not a franchise cornerstone. If he’s your 6th man, he’s good in that role.

He’s not worth more than $18M-$20M per season.

It’s interesting now because we’re going to have a new GM step in here.

If I were to guess, Porzingis is for sure going to opt out and re-sign. He loves DC and he sure likes playing with Beal more than Luka

Kuzma is going to opt out and test free agency.

Porzingis isn't getting $30M+ on the open market. If the new GM is looking to rebuild and Wiz get a top pick, why would they re-sign Porzingis to a big deal. Porzingis could be the biggest loser from Tommy getting fired. He might have to opt-in.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Porzingis isn't getting $30M+ on the open market. If the new GM is looking to rebuild and Wiz get a top pick, why would they re-sign Porzingis to a big deal. Porzingis could be the biggest loser from Tommy getting fired. He might have to opt-in.
Depends on length of deal. Better to keep him as a tradeable piece than letting him walk.

But opting in may be his best option

lib123

All Star
Daps

That Johnny Davis draft pick was probably the last straw.