With Microsoft Distracted, The Xbox Console Experience Is Suffering (Jez Corden)

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Did SEGA ever win a console war? They made good games or so I hear. They spent their entire history either chasing after Nintendo or later chasing after Sony. No company in the history of gaming has ever stepped in and just made good games and overcame the market leader. There's always been circumstances usually by the market leader themselves that lead to their fall.

What Microsoft came to understand is they had to do something to differentiate themselves from their competitor. That's why they came up with the games as a subscription service with day one games. It's a great idea but they're having growing pains trying to make it work.

Your suggestion that they should have "just focused on games" means they'd basically be SEGA.

It’s not about winning it was about making money and healthy competition. Sega did that with the genesis. They had a 43% market share and turned a profit. Xbox is doing the same thing sega is doing pissing away the goodwill of the brand, gamepass and the living room battle is the equivalent of the 32x, Sega CD, and Saturn.

Microsoft was in a great position with the Xbox one for acquisitions and new 1st party titles but resorted chasing trends, Kinect, TV, etc. Their value differentiator should have always been supplemental to the games, but they made it the value prop to the detriment of their games.

Halo dead, Gears dead, and console struggling to keep up with the 2DS in sales. We have another 3-5 years before M$ could realistically release a console mover again.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You can't come to the market and be what someone else already is. It just doesn't work. We already got J. Cole so Cordae out there strugling to gain traction.
I'm sorry but Xbox and Xbox 360 Microsoft was mostly trying to just be another PlayStation alternative. Then with Kinect they were going after Nintendo. Providing services is Microsoft's core identity as a company now. The absolutely need to embrace it in gaming. Yeah there will be growing pains but they can't just go back to trying to out PlayStation PlayStation at the same model.

Right now the 3 console makers are all doing different things. Xbox is a subscription service. Sony is single player story but looks to be transitioning to live service games. Nintendo is family and accessibility.

Most companies are reluctant to go all in on subscription services in gaming because it will cannibalize their current business model. Microsoft has the capital to eat the cost. They have nothing to lose as their conventional business model is floundering. The model they're going into is something only they can do.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
You can't come to the market and be what someone else already is. It just doesn't work. We already got J. Cole so Cordae out there strugling to gain traction.
I'm sorry but Xbox and Xbox 360 Microsoft was mostly trying to just be another PlayStation alternative. Then with Kinect they were going after Nintendo. Providing services is Microsoft's core identity as a company now. The absolutely need to embrace it in gaming. Yeah there will be growing pains but they can't just go back to trying to out PlayStation PlayStation at the same model.

Right now the 3 console makers are all doing different things. Xbox is a subscription service. Sony is single player story but looks to be transitioning to live service games. Nintendo is family and accessibility.

Most companies are reluctant to go all in on subscription services in gaming because it will cannibalize their current business model. Microsoft has the capital to eat the cost. They have nothing to lose as their conventional business model is floundering. The model they're going into is something only they can do.

michael-jordan-yeah.gif

You can,

Coke/Pepsi
Toyota/Honda
Marvel/DC
Mac/PC
Any trap rapper

Nothing about those brands are doing anything different than the other. What this comes down to is how your brand is perceived and content. Let’s face the facts, Xbox brand is at an all time low. Had Gears & Halo was actually given the attention they needed and Phil invested in 1st party content when the Xbone stumbled we wouldn’t be having this convo.

Microsoft doesn’t care about Xbox as a brand, it’s a loss leader for game pass that’s the strategy now, and it’s gonna bite them in the ass in the coming years. Especially if it has some semblance of success those Gamepass partners will do their own thing like Hulu. Once that happens you’ll have nothing but legacy M$ titles & Madden.

No offense breh, but you are romanticizing the hell outta GP & M$. I stay out of these Stan Wars, but Sony has played this well with strategic acquisitions and not overplaying their hand with online services. We’re already witnessing this blowback now with Disney+, Paramount+, & Netflix, they’re pumping out trash & ad tier for market share. Do you think the gaming industry can sustain that model with their growing budgets?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
michael-jordan-yeah.gif

You can,

Coke/Pepsi
Toyota/Honda
Marvel/DC
Mac/PC
Any trap rapper

Nothing about those brands are doing anything different than the other. What this comes down to is how your brand is perceived and content. Let’s face the facts, Xbox brand is at an all time low. Had Gears & Halo was actually given the attention they needed and Phil invested in 1st party content when the Xbone stumbled we wouldn’t be having this convo.

Microsoft doesn’t care about Xbox as a brand, it’s a loss leader for game pass that’s the strategy now, and it’s gonna bite them in the ass in the coming years. Especially if it has some semblance of success those Gamepass partners will do their own thing like Hulu. Once that happens you’ll have nothing but legacy M$ titles & Madden.

No offense breh, but you are romanticizing the hell outta GP & M$. I stay out of these Stan Wars, but Sony has played this well with strategic acquisitions and not overplaying their hand with online services. We’re already witnessing this blowback now with Disney+, Paramount+, & Netflix, they’re pumping out trash & ad tier for market share. Do you think the gaming industry can sustain that model with their growing budgets?

Gamepass is gonna be like 25 dollars a month by years end, (for some low budget mid) these people never learn :snoop:

For some reason they think the way video and music streaming was negatively effected won’t happen to games, even though games takes way longer to make and become way more costly for companies to have to continually pump out to support a monthly service

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Gamepass is gonna be like 25 dollars a month by years end, (for some low budget mid) these people never learn :snoop:

For some reason they think the way video and music streaming was negatively effected won’t happen to games, even though games takes way longer to make and become way more costly for companies to have to continually pump out to support a monthly service

Breh I’ve made 1 year in this industry and not a single Xbox deal for work has come through. No news no one discussing Xbox whatsoever.

Devs see the trends XSX is not a priority for their roadmaps.

Drizzy Dre

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Unless an exclusive comes thru and crushes buildings, I struggle to see how they can continue for another generation.

I’m no hater either, I’ve had every single iteration of Xbox but it’s looking rough out there.

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
Xbox got no games? What happened to all those studios they bought? Did they Rare them up again? :unimpressed:

All this gamepass stuff can't bring the name recognition a console needs to establish itself. I still hear buzz about Sony games and I haven't bought a PS since the PS3. They're definitely doing something that's working over there.

The Switch pretty much rely on Nintendo dropping those fire exclusives because third-party games look like someone smeared shyt on your screen, but it's still working because it got a great catalog.

At some point, reality will kick in. As soon as they fukked up Halo, the Series X was cooked. You gotta have those system sellers.