Windows Surface Event 2019

Why-Fi

gnap
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
gnap
just watched the neo hands on...that's definitely the courier joint they canceled like 10 years ago. maybe there is still hope for milo

drifter

Superstar
Daps
Not too impressed by anything shown, I'm more interested in stock than anything else.

Laptop looks nice, I'd rather have a real computer so not interested in a Pro at all. Translation buds are niche like we already saw with the Pixel Buds, they need to perform sound wise like the other $250 in-ears or it's a waste.

The Neo is probably the best announcement considering what you use tablets for. I see Samsung name dropped but I don't think the Duo is necessarily a phone and if it is the Galaxy Fold is implemented better. You still have access to notifications and can answer phone calls without opening it. It's the more practical design, flaws and all.

The Duo's earpiece is on the inside and there's isn't a display for quick access. You could walk around with it inside out but you'd have a Royole FlexPai, not to mention the camera is covered this way. There isn't even a rear camera on the mock design so again I don't think this is a direct Fold competitor.

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Not too impressed by anything shown, I'm more interested in stock than anything else.

Laptop looks nice, I'd rather have a real computer so not interested in a Pro at all. Translation buds are niche like we already saw with the Pixel Buds, they need to perform sound wise like the other $250 in-ears or it's a waste.

The Neo is probably the best announcement considering what you use tablets for. I see Samsung name dropped but I don't think the Duo is necessarily a phone and if it is the Galaxy Fold is implemented better. You still have access to notifications and can answer phone calls without opening it. It's the more practical design, flaws and all.

The Duo's earpiece is on the inside and there's isn't a display for quick access. You could walk around with it inside out but you'd have a Royole FlexPai, not to mention the camera is covered this way. There isn't even a rear camera on the mock design so again I don't think this is a direct Fold competitor.
The Duo is a phone, and it's design is far more practical and just better than the Fold.

We'll have to wait and see how both devices are durability wise, but the Fold already had to be recalled because the build quality was trash. The Neo/Duo looks better and the functionality shown along with it exceeds anything that I've seen with the Fold.

drifter

Superstar
Daps
The Duo is a phone, and it's design is far more practical and just better than the Fold.

We'll have to wait and see how both devices are durability wise, but the Fold already had to be recalled because the build quality was trash. The Neo/Duo looks better and the functionality shown along with it exceeds anything that I've seen with the Fold.

You say this but didn't mention anything as far as how because the Duo goes against the literal definition of practical. The iPhone evolution kept the front screen access of PDAs and flip phones for time and notifications, Microsoft's take is a step backwards in that regard. Huawei and Samsung have at least one interactive display on the front and back, the Duo only has the inside.

And the tech the Fold and Duo use is completely different, the Fold is one bendable display while the Duo is two separate displays. The real litmus test for the Fold's durability is Huawei's device which is delayed without an update. This is somewhat irrelevant anyway because you're comparing a Q4 2020 product to a 2019 one, do you not believe there will be a 2nd gen Fold next year before the Duo comes out?

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You say this but didn't mention anything as far as how because the Duo goes against the literal definition of practical. The iPhone evolution kept the front screen access of PDAs and flip phones for time and notifications, Microsoft's take is a step backwards in that regard. Huawei and Samsung have at least one interactive display on the front and back, the Duo only has the inside.

And the tech the Fold and Duo use is completely different, the Fold is one bendable display while the Duo is two separate displays. The real litmus test for the Fold's durability is Huawei's device which is delayed without an update. This is somewhat irrelevant anyway because you're comparing a Q4 2020 product to a 2019 one, do you not believe there will be a 2nd gen Fold next year before the Duo comes out?
The Fold's secondary display isn't a selling point tho, most of the hands-on reviews for that device said that it just made them want to use the expanded screen anyway.

The Duo just looks from a design perspective and doesn't care about the hype around the screen folding, that's why it's just 2 screens, but the way it's implemented is what sets it apart. The way the UI was interacting with the keyboard and dynamically scaling to as a touchpad on the bottom screen looks clean af breh.

If MS wanted to rush the product to the market right now they probably could, Samsung is big at taking risks and that's what they are doing with the Fold, but it took for it to get in the hands of consumers before they knew it wasn't ready.

I know the tech is different, but they are both in the same market as being hybrid tablet/phones pushing innovation, I'll take the sleek design that MS is going for with the Duo than what Samsung's Fold looks like currently.

drifter

Superstar
Daps
The Fold's secondary display isn't a selling point tho, most of the hands-on reviews for that device said that it just made them want to use the expanded screen anyway.

The Duo just looks from a design perspective and doesn't care about the hype around the screen folding, that's why it's just 2 screens, but the way it's implemented is what sets it apart. The way the UI was interacting with the keyboard and dynamically scaling to as a touchpad on the bottom screen looks clean af breh.

If MS wanted to rush the product to the market right now they probably could, Samsung is big at taking risks and that's what they are doing with the Fold, but it took for it to get in the hands of consumers before they knew it wasn't ready.

I know the tech is different, but they are both in the same market as being hybrid tablet/phones pushing innovation, I'll take the sleek design that MS is going for with the Duo than what Samsung's Fold looks like currently.

Never argued the smaller display was a selling point, its tablet form is clearly that. But that display makes it more practical and I don't think that can be argued. The Fold is meant to be used as a tablet but can also handle quick phone functions. You have to open the Duo every single time to do anything unless you use it with the screens exposed at all times which is its own issue.

I'm not carrying a keyboard around and a phone so I don't care about the software tricks, if I want that experience I already have a computer. Or I'd buy a Surface Pro which would be cheaper.

It's cool if you prefer the design, I'm not trying to change your mind. All I've said is if it's supposed to be a phone then it doesn't offer the ease of use every other phone that's come before has and that is true.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I think the Duo will be better than the galaxy fold cuz of its design. The fold feels flimsy and I don't know how I feel about a screen folding like that. Might have lots of wear and tear issues. That plus some apps may not be compatible due to screen size. Would be convenient if they added a preview window or something on the other side to let you answer calls but who knows what could be done in that regard. People are gonna use these foldables opened up anyways. This is like a phablet hybrid I would say. These foldable devices are the future and in a few years they gonna be the norm when it comes to yearly or so releases.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Preordered 13" matte black surface laptop and surface pro 7.

Duo and Neo ain't it. I don't see why anyone would want dual screen functionality in a book-like aspect outside of work related tasks. I prefer the Fold aspect of phone/tablet. Full screen when I want and small compact to fit in my pocket. This need to multi-task on a phone is ridiculous.
I needed a new laptop anyway... how is the surface pro line?
Go to best buy to experience it. Basically a tablet but also a laptop.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent

Duo and Neo ain't it. I don't see why anyone would want dual screen functionality in a book-like aspect outside of work related tasks. I prefer the Fold aspect of phone/tablet. Full screen when I want and small compact to fit in my pocket. This need to multi-task on a phone is ridiculous.

if you don't mind me asking, why exactly do you need a SP7 and a Surface laptop?

MMA

Superstar
Daps
if you don't mind me asking, why exactly do you need a SP7 and a Surface laptop?
I'm insane, like separation and use 4 laptops, 1 mainly for home, 3 for work. I use onedrive between all of the machines.

Surface Laptop - home/bed machine answering emails, reading business trends in markets, note taking, surfing the web. Surface Pro are not comfortable enough for typing in bed. This doesn't leave the house.
Surface Pro 7 - work machine; same general use case has the surface laptop but for work meetings, primary machine for traveling to meet outside resources, easy to carry on the go machine. This doesn't leave the office unless I'm not going back after a meeting somewhere else.
Other 2 are for solely for development.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm insane and use 4 laptops, 1 mainly for home, 3 for work. I use onedrive between all of the machines.

Surface Laptop - home/bed machine answering emails, reading business trends in markets, note taking, surfing the web. Surface Pro are not comfortable enough for typing in bed.
Surface Pro 7 - work machine; same general use case has the surface laptop but for work meetings, primary machine for traveling to meet outside resources, easy to carry on the go machine.
Other 2 are for solely for development

Gotcha. my combo is MBP for my desk at home and iPad pro for travel/in bed use. That Surface Pro X is sexy as hell and I'm debating copping just because I'm a 'tech embracer' lol.

MMA

Superstar
Daps
Gotcha. my combo is MBP for my desk at home and iPad pro for travel/in bed use. That Surface Pro X is sexy as hell and I'm debating copping just because I'm a 'tech embracer' lol.
Same here
I use 12.9 pro and mini for bed too but either can't replace a laptop unfortunately. The pro keyboard is terrible, surfing the web takes twice has long to get to what you are looking for on tablets/phone.

I would tell you to pick up the surface pro 7 or surface go (go to bestbuy it is very small for typing so try it out first) if you already have a Ipad pro. Buying the Pro X would feel too redundant in your use case unless it's replacing your pad pro (this coming from me :russ:).

Last edited:

GoldenGlove

πŸ˜πŸ˜‘πŸ˜ΆπŸ˜‘πŸ˜
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

People are now texting nearly as fast as they type - CNN

Mobile functionality is not slowing down breh, I can't roll with a Fold because it's simply ugly as fukk. I have a smart watch so I can see my notifications at a glance without my phone's screen anyway.