Will there ever be a skateboarder as big/successful as tony hawk

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
non-skaters talking bout some Tony Hawk in 2016 :mjlol:

Terry Kennedy is the best example of someone who got by solely by being marketable, there's kids at my local skatepark better than him. He ain't really the most relevant anymore :patrice:

P.Rod started his own board & apparel company called Primitive that's doing really well. He's business savvy enough to get to that Hawk level one day.

Shecklers tatted up living that so-cal lifestyle but still be dropping hammers. His video part in the plan B video kinda didn't live up to the hype tho (claimed a trick down El Toro years before the video but never actually got the make). Had a show on YouTube that ran for a while dude is definitely living it up

Nyjahs rich as fukk (for a skateboarder) off contest money due to dominating Street League & is driving an Audi R8 throwing crazy ass parties in his suburban neighborhood getting old white people mad

While the birdman is undoubtedly the most famous & financally successful skateboarder, dude is not relevant in today's skateboarding scene. While probably not as marketable to the mainstream, His son Riley is nice tho. Stepped away from his dad's companies and made a name for himself on his own:ehh:

Theotis Beasley is like what TK could've been if he had more skill. Dude has a million sponsors and be in music videos, hosting club events n shyt. Really good dude tho, holding it down for his family who came from a really bad neighborhood n all that

Last edited:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Dude, you have to remember something. Tony Hawk during his heyday invented over 50 tricks for vert skating. Won oodles of contests. First to drop a 900 on film, during a contest mind you. Then Tony Hawks Pro Skater turned a lot of us onlookers into skaters. He left a huge mark that people cant fill. There are only so many stairs you can grind, feet you can ollie down, and ways you can grab your board. He pretty much sparked the late 90s/early 2000s skate resurgence.

Everyone you listed except Terry left huge marks on current skateboarding (esp Nyjah) but they cant switch the game up like Tony did. Even the game changers out here like Shane O'Neil are only really taking old tricks and doing bigger things with them. There is a reason guys like Tony, Cab, Trujillo, the Z-boys and most of that dogtown era, etc are held to high regard. They pushed so much, now we are running into physical limitations more than imagination. My bad, throw in the godfather Rodney Mullen, and John Cardiel.

Shout out to Antwuan Dixon:francis:We need another part, breh.

dennis roadman

nuclear war in my bag
Daps
Reppin
solsbury hill
Agree....

A lot of real skateboarders don't like that shyt being mainstream like it was in the early 2000s...

Lupe caught heat for that shyt too.
This is true but 50%+ of these "real skaters" caught on with skating when it was mainstream in the mid 90s so :yeshrug:

Dudes in Thrasher tees can hate on birdman all they want but thrasher ate good off his wave and still fukks with birdhouse

Daps
I'm not well versed on skateboarding but admittedly I did get turned on to the sport in the early 2Ks through Tony Hawk's games :yeshrug:

Can somebody give me a cliffnotes summary of the history of the "culture". Shyt'\s always lowkey been interesting to me. Too late for me to take it up though. I'm in my early 20s.