Will there be another Golden Age in Black Film???

Will there be another Golden Age in Black Film???

• Total voters

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
I'm hoping there will be a renaissance in black filmmaking soon. Hopefully Dear White People can jumpstart that

Imo the last Golden Age in black filmmaking was the 90s (especially early to mid 90s)

What yall think?

Edit: I was so wrong about "Dear White People" :mjlol:

Last edited:

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
MV5BMTYyNTY2MTQ5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg3MjkyMTE@._V1._SX140_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTQ1NzE3MzY0NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNTM2MzE5._V1._SY209_CR4,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTYyMjc1MDAwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjgzMDYyMQ@@._V1._SY209_CR3,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMjAzNTQzMjkwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODA3NjM5._V1._SY209_CR5,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTQyOTA5NzgzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjgwNTcxMTE@._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTI1NDEwMDg4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY4MTgxMQ@@._V1._SY209_CR4,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMzE0NTI0MTM5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzYwMTYyMQ@@._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMjE1OTM3NzYxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzMwNTU5._V1._SX140_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMjIxNjUwMDgzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzk5MDU2NA@@._V1._SX140_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTk4Mzk0NDU2OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM5NjUyMQ@@._V1._SY209_CR3,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTYyNzg4MTMxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzE5MzIyMQ@@._V1._SY209_CR4,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMjA2MzUxODQ0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTQyNzEyMQ@@._V1._SY209_CR5,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTI2MTg1OTg1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDk0NjMyMQ@@._V1._SY209_CR3,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTgzMjQ1MjIwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODIzOTkyMQ@@._V1._SX140_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTcyODY3NjQxNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODkyMTYyMQ@@._V1._SY209_CR1,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMTY4NDk1NTU5NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjE2NDU2MQ@@._V1._SY209_CR0,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BMjEyNDUxMzYzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzU5MTk5._V1._SY209_CR1,0,140,209_.jpg
MV5BNzA3MjExMDQ0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTExOTEyMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR1,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

And this is just sum off the top of my head

Last edited:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I don't know man. I think a lot of directors coming up now, at least the black ones that are fresh to the scene like Ryan Coogler, they have other stories to tell that aren't just "black" stories. He did Fruitvale and next he's working on the Rocky spinoff about Apollo's son, "Creed" and I can't think of any other new young black directors on the scene. I know we're a crowd that isn't catered too much but I've always been a person who wants something different than what we have. I don't want Think Like a Man or its sequel or the Tyler Perry flicks to be the sole representation of my race on screen because most of those movies operate in stereotype and broad characterization to the point where they can become parody of what it means to be black in America. Eventually though we need to get to a point where a film with an all black cast is no different than a film with an all white cast or at least isn't given the title of "black movie." I'd say the 90s was the last period of good-great "Black" film because those directors had a lot to say. They were the kids who grew up in segregation or at least at the tail end of it and they were firmly rooted in that particular facet of being black in america. So we got films like Do the Right Thing, Menace 2 Society, Crooklyn, etc but the black experience has changed to a degree so you need not only filmmakers who can tap into that but an audience that is willing to listen.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
I don't know man. I think a lot of directors coming up now, at least the black ones that are fresh to the scene like Ryan Coogler, they have other stories to tell that aren't just "black" stories. He did Fruitvale and next he's working on the Rocky spinoff about Apollo's son, "Creed" and I can't think of any other new young black directors on the scene. I know we're a crowd that isn't catered too much but I've always been a person who wants something different than what we have. I don't want Think Like a Man or its sequel or the Tyler Perry flicks to be the sole representation of my race on screen because most of those movies operate in stereotype and broad characterization to the point where they can become parody of what it means to be black in America. Eventually though we need to get to a point where a film with an all black cast is no different than a film with an all white cast or at least isn't given the title of "black movie." I'd say the 90s was the last period of good-great "Black" film because those directors had a lot to say. They were the kids who grew up in segregation or at least at the tail end of it and they were firmly rooted in that particular facet of being black in america. So we got films like Do the Right Thing, Menace 2 Society, Crooklyn, etc but the black experience has changed to a degree so you need not only filmmakers who can tap into that but an audience that is willing to listen.
Good post

BUT

I don't think it will ever get to a point where an all black cast is viewed the same as an all white cast. White people will always look at it as being a "Black" film. That's their white privelege

They have the privelege of being the Default race

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Good post

BUT

I don't think it will ever get to a point where an all black cast is viewed the same as an all white cast. White people will always look at it as being a "Black" film. That's their white privelege

They have the privelege of being the Default race

I don't think that's them though I think that's us. WE started that term not them. We are the ones who like to give the designation of "black" onto something. I remember when Chris Rock and Martin were doing press for Death at a funeral and saying how their version was about what happens at a black funeral and how all bets are off when its a black funeral. That's not the white person saying that, that's Chris Rock

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
I don't think that's them though I think that's us. WE started that term not them. We are the ones who like to give the designation of "black" onto something. I remember when Chris Rock and Martin were doing press for Death at a funeral and saying how their version was about what happens at a black funeral and how all bets are off when its a black funeral. That's not the white person saying that, that's Chris Rock
For Death at a Funeral ur right

But I've been on IMDB for a long time and they view films as "Black films" without anyone saying anything like that

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
For Death at a Funeral ur right

But I've been on IMDB for a long time and they view films as "Black films" without anyone saying anything like that

And so do we breh. It's not just them. Kevin Hart was right when he said we need to get rid of that term and it starts with US getting rid of it.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
And so do we breh. It's not just them. Kevin Hart was right when he said we need to get rid of that term and it starts with US getting rid of it.
White folks gonna say what they wanna say about our movies regardless lol. The same with everything else. Im not blaming black folks for white ignorance. And that's a good way of letting them off the hook

No comment on Kevin Hart tho

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
White folks gonna say what they wanna say about our movies regardless lol. The same with everything else. Im not blaming black folks for white ignorance. And that's a good way of letting them off the hook

No comment on Kevin Hart tho

I'm not saying you gotta be a fan of duke because I'm not but I feel where he's coming from. And I'm not saying it's all us or all white people but we gotta take onus for our people and our behavior and not always blame it on someone else. If we want something to change, then change it. I know a lot more black people than white people who use the term "black movie" and it grates on me. Thats a term we as a people like because it describes something specific to us and lets us know what to expect and separates us from them. I feel where you're coming from breh but I'm always a proponent of fixing what you can fix for yourself before you try to tell someone else about themselves or what they're doing or not doing.

Last edited: