Will Smith felt broken after failure of "After Earth"

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Will Smith admits he's under a bright spotlight with his new film - fittingly titledFocus - after his last movie failed at the box office. "For me, this film really marks a transition in my life and emotionally and in my career," Smith said Sunday during a press conference for Focus at The Four Seasons Hotel in Westlake Village, California. "After the failure of After Earth, a thing got broken in my mind. I was like, 'Oh, wow. I'm still alive. Oh, wow. Actually, I still am me, even though the movie didn't open number one. Wait. I can »
http://www.people.com/article/will-smith-focus-career-confidence-after-earth?xid=rss-fullcontent

I actually had high hopes for this movie. Thought Will Smith was going to be on his A+ SCI FI shyt. Also hoped M.Night could regain his Unbreakable form.

Man was I wrong...even though I knew all of the signs (no pun )

One of the few times I ever thought about leaving the theater. :huhldup:

Here's hoping Focus and Suicide Squad can get him together...

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Will Smith admits he's under a bright spotlight with his new film - fittingly titledFocus - after his last movie failed at the box office. "For me, this film really marks a transition in my life and emotionally and in my career," Smith said Sunday during a press conference for Focus at The Four Seasons Hotel in Westlake Village, California. "After the failure of After Earth, a thing got broken in my mind. I was like, 'Oh, wow. I'm still alive. Oh, wow. Actually, I still am me, even though the movie didn't open number one. Wait. I can »
http://www.people.com/article/will-smith-focus-career-confidence-after-earth?xid=rss-fullcontent

I actually had high hopes for this movie. Thought Will Smith was going to be on his A+ SCI FI shyt. Also hoped M.Night could regain his Unbreakable form.

Tried to tell dudes that shyt hurt him but some cats claimed it wasn't his movie and it was his sons therefore the stink wasn't on him and it wasn't a big deal. Seems like he saw it differently. I hope the new flick does well for him and really hope suicide squad does since that's the one I'm seeing. The full article has a real quote from him in the end tho: he's focused on path rather than goal and finally feels free now that he's not worried about a movie being number one at the box office or number 10.

Last edited:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

Tried to tell dudes that shyt hurt him but some cats claimed it wasn't his movie and it was his sons therefore the stink wasn't on him and jr wasn't a big deal. Seems like he saw it differently. I hope the new flick does well for him and really hope suicide squad does since that's the one I'm seeing. The full article has a real quote from him in the end tho: he's focused on path rather than goal and finally feels free now that he's not worried about a movie being number one at the box office or number 10.

:mindblown: I still don't understand why folks act like "After Earth" was a HOT GARBAGE 1/5 stars movie. The movie about a 3/5 average movie.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
:mindblown: I still don't understand why folks act like "After Earth" was a HOT GARBAGE 1/5 stars movie. The movie about a 3/5 average movie.

It's a bad flick breh. To me anyway. And regardless of that it bombed for him and was his first bomb. That's a wake up call for anyone. Especially when you're used to 20 years of hits

THEREALBRAND

Eterno Menino
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Eu Sou O Segundo

I liked it personally, I don't get the hate for it.

Maybe my expectations were really low after reading the reviews, but I thought it was cool for what it was. It was better than most of the sci-fi movies that come out targeted to the tween demographic.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Dude needs to work with good directors, what the fukk is he doing? He's made countless movies and hasn't worked with a single notable director. He could be an all-time great and he's pissing it away.
After Earth was better then Guardians of the Galaxy IMO.

If people didnt think the hate for AE was solely because of M. Knight, then you havent been paying attention. :smh:
negging you off principle for this statement.