Will Gamers wait that long??? Matt Booty (Head of XGS)- The days of 2-3 yr Dev time for Big Budget games are over. It’s more like 4-6yrs

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Longer development times
Higher development costs
This isn't news
And doesn't explain why this Pentagon level secrecy exists and why these developers can't release a teaser screenshot or anything

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Longer development times
Higher development costs
This isn't news
And doesn't explain why this Pentagon level secrecy exists and why these developers can't release a teaser screenshot or anything

Its what Druckmann said earlier this year. Announcing games puts more pressure on the studios, especially if theres a hitch in development like we’re seeing with Factions and that was never even officially announced. Thats the stuff that leads to crunch.

Thats probably why Suckerpunch hasn’t announced Tsushima 2 yet even though we know that’s what they’re working on.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Its what Druckmann said earlier this year. Announcing games puts more pressure on the studios, especially if theres a hitch in development like we’re seeing with Factions and that was never even officially announced. Thats the stuff that leads to crunch.

Thats probably why Suckerpunch hasn’t announced Tsushima 2 yet even though we know that’s what they’re working on.
They announce movies the second they sign the contract
before they even write the script or hire the cast
maybe this some nerd shyt I can't comprehend

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They announce movies the second they sign the contract
before they even write the script or hire the cast
maybe this some nerd shyt I can't comprehend

Yeah, im not sure why movies get announced early, maybe because its just harder to keep them a secret with casting? Also they take far less time to make in general, a big movie is like a 6 month filming production, with like a few months of post production. A game is 4-6 years.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
That Helbalde game was announced alongside the Series X and they're still showing trailers for it....3 years later....with minimal gameplay:dead:
I feel like that's what's MS problem with inhouse development. They take the longest to dev new mid titles when they could put that time in their marquee established titles like Halo.

Volt

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Rio
Development times would be shorter if every major game wasn't targeting 25-80+ hours of content.

Miles Morales sold millions of copies and it's an eight hour game. Yes, it's Spider-Man but there's a MASSIVE void of games in the 6-12 hour range. Not every game needs to be an endless time sink.

Tight, focused experiences are still appreciated and desired.
I dunno, some people were kinda mad about RE2R and Metroid Dread being short, replayable games. Couldn't be me tho.

But yeah, I don't think anything will change a lot besides certain franchises only getting one game per gen, which was kind of the norm anyway.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I dunno, some people were kinda mad about RE2R and Metroid Dread being short, replayable games. Couldn't be me tho.

But yeah, I don't think anything will change a lot besides certain franchises only getting one game per gen, which was kind of the norm anyway.

Yeah, if gamers stopped complaining everytime we found out a game wasn’t over 20 hours it would maybe send a clearer message that we don’t need every AAA game to be bloat fest. Stuff like Rift Apart and RE2R was perfectly fine for me. Theres so many games to play i dont need to commit my life to just one

I’m at like 2 open world games a year right now

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Companies will just release more DLC and semi-sequel expansions between full releases.