"Why would anybody play this?"Sony's Jim Ryan comment on backwards compatibility

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Another concern occasionally raised by PlayStation devotees involves the company's once-ubiquitous PlayStation 2. While Sony has in recent years devoted resources to bringing a handful of popular older titles to the PlayStation 4, the better part of that library is lost to time. For now, it seems that's where it'll remain. "When we've dabbled with backwards compatibility, I can say it is one of those features that is much requested, but not actually used much," says Ryan. "That, and I was at a Gran Turismo event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?"
Everything Sony Told Us About the Future of PlayStation

giphy.gif

:russ::russ::russ::russ:

Last edited:

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Gran Turismo is a bad example, because it's basically iterations of the same game, with better graphics, more cars, more tracks, etc. there's not a lot of incentive to play older versions of the game (but I'm sure people do prefer certain versions for whatever personal reason(s))

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
It's true for most but some people want to be able to play their old games

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Same reasons why I wanted an NES Classic.

Great games and an opportunity to relive my childhood.

Doesn't take a Yale Marketing MBA to figure that out.
Guess it takes a Yale Marketing MBA to tell you emulators have been around for like 15 years...they obviously marketed the hell out of that NES Classic to you for you to spend money on something that's been free for almost 2 decades...

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Gran Turismo is a bad example, because it's basically iterations of the same game, with better graphics, more cars, more tracks, etc. there's not a lot of incentive to play older versions of the game (but I'm sure people do prefer certain versions for whatever personal reason(s))

Yea it's one thing to have iterations of the same game..

but games like Haunting Ground, SMT, Rule of Rose...

the shyt I can only play on ps2. Yea I want bc or a pc emulation :dahell:

Got a bunch of games that can only be played on older consoles..

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
Partially it's true if the game graphically looks garbage why would you play it now?! if anything they could have gotten the games remastered and put out on a special collectors disc like namco did for their games...:ld::yeshrug: but I guess he thought it wasnt worth the money...:coffee:

Every game I've played on my old systems I've played and beaten and forgotten...:yeshrug: there's something about certain games that once their beaten you dont need to play them again...