Why wasn't The Wire a big hit on HBO?

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
The fukk are you talking about? Rick, Carl, Daryl, Glenn, and Carol have been part of the show since season 1. Obviously because of the nature of the show characters die and new characters are introduced but The Walking Dead actually has a lead character and a core group of characters that stick around for multiple seasons.
And the wire didn't? :wtf:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And the wire didn't? :wtf:

No, there was no STAR character that got the bulk of the screen time and that the story focused on, and the cast expanded significantly more than any other show I can think off. Characters on the wire would play a major role in one season only to end up being a minor character in another season.

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
No, there was no STAR character that got the bulk of the screen time and that the story focused on, and the cast expanded significantly more than any other show I can think off. Characters on the wire would play a major role in one season only to end up being a minor character in another season.
Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit but did you like the show tho :birdman:
tumblr_meiyyxPOOn1rir2ujo1_400.gif

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Being on HBO for six seasons is a success, even with the ratings not astronomical, and the Golden GLobes completely ignoring its existence :rudy:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
A show doesn't run that long without good ratings...I'm sure HBO is quick to cancel shows.

The Shield >>>>>>>>

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i'm from baltimore, and like i said before, the show wouldn't of existed without the 2nd season. you can't have a show about that city, and not include the inner harbor. it's obviously where everything comes in/out of the city, which is where mcnulty finds one thing, which just so happens lead to something else later on. it also ties in other key parts of the series that i'm not going to talk about, but i can say that the 2nd season was going to happen regardless, because when mcnulty was talking to daniels(i believe), or the head white guy, he told him the place that he didn't want to go, which was the docks. he hates mcnulty cause he thinks hes a self-centered a$$hole, whose life revolves around his career, so he threw him in the place that he didn't want to go. it also had to do with mcnulty actually wanting to do his job, and not just have a bunch of homocides sitting around, like usually happens in baltimore. freeman actually tells a story in the show of how the same thing happened to him where he got put into the pawn shop unit, which mcnulty didn't listen to. the show was just perfectly made...i mean, i don't think there ever has, and ever will be another show, where at the end of the series, nothing goes untold about. everything just went so good together, and the man did it without the full last season that he was going to get. the corner was good, but the wire is the best show ever made.
edit-the only gripe i've ever had with this show is d'angelo, and i'm not talking about the charcter itself. that's all i'm going to say about that...

Last edited:
  • Dap
Reactions: hex

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Dudes in here with straight faces was like "The Sopranos is the best TV show of all time" :wtf:
Like any good show, it had its moments, its scenarios. But top televsion show of all time?
n
gotta hit this with the :whoa:

imo its the goat and lets not act like thats a stretch. id take it over the wire by a hair that can change day to day, theyre neck n neck

id say

sopranos
wire
boardwalk
BB

MN Fats

Pro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Correct.....there were so many characters in The Wire that played very important roles throughout the show....How many other shows could you list 50 characters that played a very important part in the telling of the story. I can't think of another one. In a show like The Walking Dead there are the small main group of characters and then no one else really fukking matters.

Ayo

SOHH 2001
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in MIA
Isn't that slowly build up the plot that strategies that soap operas use? It is not new to TV.

BTW, black folks wouldn't look at everything as racially if racial incidents weren't constantly happening do to a SYSTEM in place, so dont "black people yadda yadda" nothing spunk mouth. People are simply used to a system, that DOES constantly put them in a certain place. Check yourself, sperm mouth.

Hey, stupid fukk. Hill Street Blues ("dur, whats that" <--- you) is credited with transforming late night TV plot lines as we know it. Not Soap Operas. Educate yourself. Dumbass.

And what's up with the "spunk mouth" and "sperm mouth"? Do you have some sort of weird obsession with male ejaculate? You know what. Don't even answer that. Nasty ass nikka. I ignored your know nothing worthless self.

Oh and about that system. Did that system stop me from owning my own house or buying a CLS63 AMG? What's this system you speak of?

Last edited:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Yall still trying to shyt on Season 2 :snoop:

S2 was great, if anything S5 was the weakest but it ties everything up at the end.

You clearly aren't seeing the bigger picture if you simply dismiss S2 because there were CACs in it :beli:

Last edited:

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
gotta hit this with the :whoa:

imo its the goat and lets not act like thats a stretch. id take it over the wire by a hair that can change day to day, theyre neck n neck

id say

sopranos
wire
boardwalk
BB
Goat of all time for any show on TV? GTFOH. You'll probably watch 5 more episodes for the rest of your life
Show isn't top 100 in television history. Crack was big in the 80's, some of them were ladies, some of them had babies :why:

Daps
"Black people yadda yadda yadda"

All wrong.

People didnt watch The Wire the first few seasons because it took too long to pay off. It's format of slowly building up and presenting small pieces of a larger plot was still pretty new to television.

By Season 3 jumping in to the middle of something that was already building wasnt appealing to a lot of people. It was the resounding critical acclaim that forced people to give it another shot. OnDemand and the eventual DVD release helped too.

Read "The Revolution Was Televised" if you want to know more about The Wire and other TV shows that changed television as out parents once knew it. The idea of carrying a major plot across a season is still a fairly new one.

Read the book and have a half a brain unlike the rest of these "run to the race card for everything" simple idiots. Their argument quickly dies when you realize Season 2 was all white people and its universally criticized as the worst season (by black and white alike, season 5 up there too) and its ratings were still poor during its initial run.

The end.

You think the folks that dismissed that as a black show, reevaluated when the second season came out? :rudy:
Nah, they continued to ignore it.

The Wire is perceived to be a Black show. From the beginning, and throughout the show, it really wasn't a Black show, it just had that perception. Season 2 was criticized as the worst season when it aired mainly because it appeared to be an attempt at 'white washing' in order to increase ratings. That pisssed many people off. However, when most re-watch the series, or even when they first watch and don't have to wait a week for a new episode and a year for the next season, season 2 tends to get the respect it deserves.

the cac mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Show isn't top 100 in television history.
see this is just a bullshyt ass statement

you CANNOT tell me that sopranos is not in the top 20 shows of all time, and thats bein generous. i would love to see u list 20 shows that are better than the sopranos

ur entitled to ur opinion and all that shyt but the sopranos is universally cosigned