Why wasn't The Wire a big hit on HBO?

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
McNulty was the center of the show from beginning to the end. He was the lead.

The story was about the city of Baltimore.

Bullshyt, the show had an ensemble cast, Hell McNulty barely played a role in season 4.

NSSVO

Veteran
Daps
Bullshyt, the show had an ensemble cast, Hell McNulty barely played a role in season 4.

Your sig is the truth, and so is the post.

Sidenote:
Sometimes, the greatness of things don't get seen until later. It took me up until this year to watch The Wire. It's just one of those things in life breh. I think race a bigger issue in everyday life more than the next guy, but when it comes to television... nikkas have TVs. We can support shows about us, but we want it our way, our vision. If the Wire got love, pretty sure Showtime or someone else would have had their version coming up in the board meetings. Watch, spend the money, support what you truly like.... we set the trends anyways.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
I didn't watch it from when it started (I believe I was like 12).

I watched all the episodes in like a month though and caught up to it a week or 2 before season 5 started.

My question is why did it not have big ratings or award acclaimed like other HBO shows (i.e. Boardwalk Empire, The Sopranos and Game of Thrones). Hell, I heard Sex and the City and Six Feet Under (don't know anyone who has watched this show) had higher ratings.

Looking at HBO's line up now I'm assuming Game of Thrones, Boardwalk and Girls have it's ratings high. Who the hell watches True Blood and Treme? lol
Not sure where you lived, but The Wire was bigger than game of thrones, boardwalk, girls in my area. nikkaz don't talk about the shyt you just named really :manny:
I'd get laughed up out the building if I was like "Yo, yall watch boardwalk empire last night!!!"

Na nikka, you know we was watching the show GIRLS :birdman:
Must be the skinny jeans :manny:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Not sure where you lived, but The Wire was bigger than game of thrones, boardwalk, girls in my area. nikkaz don't talk about the shyt you just named really :manny:
I'd get laughed up out the building if I was like "Yo, yall watch boardwalk empire last night!!!"

Na nikka, you know we was watching the show GIRLS :birdman:
Must be the skinny jeans :manny:

the wire is/was a great show..but the majority of black people like it because its full of street shyt...

i still say the sopranoes was a better show...but i know that will be the minority opinion around here....

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
They slickly tried to make the show about McNulty to draw the CACs in...

shyt they tried it in Season 2 to save the franchise.

But the show is about nikkas. And you know they can't let us have too much shine.

The show got its universal claim at the end of the day so it really doesn't matter. Just wish the Season 5 would of had a full season. And maybe a sixth Season like they were planning on doing.

:manny:
naw season 2 was always gonna be a different storyline.That was the original plan and they only went back to the Barkdale storyline to save the show after it almost got cancelled after season 2 not before it

and the show didnt start getting critical acclaim til season 3 around when Stringer got dropped.That was kinda like there "red wedding" and the show really blew up after that and they brought it back(season 3 was suppose to be the last season)

Season 4 wouldve gotten HUGE ratings if the fakkits ass tv reviewers didnt leaked the whole fukking season on some hating shyt.By the time it aired everyone had already seen the whole fukking season

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Dave Simon didn't suck up to Hollywood enough for it to get a big mainstream push. Had he politiced more it would have been right up there with Sopranos and shows like that.

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
the wire is/was a great show..but the majority of black people like it because its full of street shyt...

i still say the sopranoes was a better show...but i know that will be the minority opinion around here....
Not really, this place is honky dory bruh. From top to bottom. You wasn't in the thread I made when Tony died
Dudes in here with straight faces was like "The Sopranos is the best TV show of all time" :wtf:
Like any good show, it had its moments, its scenarios. But top televsion show of all time?
Then I gotta realize that alot of posters here haven't seen much. And movies and Tv sucks so bad these days that I can see how they'd come to such a sad conclusion :wow:

If I was stuck on an Island? I'm watching :wtb: over sopranos is all I'm sayin :manny:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Because the majority of white people don't want to see shows where most of the cast is black.

It developed a cult like following after season 4 being so critically acclaimed but before that it wasn't that popular for the reason I stated above.
:stopitslime:

my pops is 60 years old and has every season of the wire :heh:

Camammal

Half Man Half Mammal
Daps
Reppin
Marcy
why? becuz we dont agree with you? :usure:

i forgot that all black people shared a collective mind....

6061345573_bd9a454ed1.jpg

you sound upset cac, have a tissue.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
There was virtually no chance of that shyt being any kind of mainstream hit, on any level.

First off, it had a ton of black characters. And main stream white America honestly ain't trying to see that.

But I need to point out, it's not a black show. There's something like 14 writers and 1-2 are black. The rest are white. It's a show about Baltimore, which has a lot of black people. The various actors that spoke out on the "whitening" of the show in season 2 recanted after season 3 because there was a bigger picture than Avon Barksdale and Stringer Bell. And I'm saying this even though Avon is my favorite character on the show.

Secondly it's probably the most densely plotted/written show in the history of TV. As I've pointed out before, David Simon wrote it as a modern day Greek tragedy. Only the various institutions that comprise the city are the indifferent gods. So that's 2 strikes against it.

Lastly, the show had hundreds of characters. And each season introduced around 10-15 new characters. Strike #3.

If you took any one of these things alone, it would potentially kill a show. All 3 together? I'm surprised it made it past the first season.

Oh and one more thing. It was never critically acclaimed like "The Sopranos" or "Breaking Bad". Which is the saddest part of all this, because aside from TV critics saying it's the GOAT it was snubbed by virtually every award show on the planet. In a perfect world the acclaim and hype and 6 million viewers "BB" has, "The Wire" would have too.

Fred.

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
There was virtually no chance of that shyt being any kind of mainstream hit, on any level.

First off, it had a ton of black characters. And main stream white America honestly ain't trying to see that.

But I need to point out, it's not a black show. There's something like 14 writers and 1-2 are black. The rest are white. It's a show about Baltimore, which has a lot of black people. The various actors that spoke out on the "whitening" of the show in season 2 recanted after season 3 because there was a bigger picture than Avon Barksdale and Stringer Bell. And I'm saying this even though Avon is my favorite character on the show.

Secondly it's probably the most densely plotted/written show in the history of TV. As I've pointed out before, David Simon wrote it as a modern day Greek tragedy. Only the various institutions that comprise the city are the indifferent gods. So that's 2 strikes against it.

Lastly, the show had hundreds of characters. And each season introduced around 10-15 new characters. Strike #3.

If you took any one of these things alone, it would potentially kill a show. All 3 together? I'm surprised it made it past the first season.

Oh and one more thing. It was never critically acclaimed like "The Sopranos" or "Breaking Bad". Which is the saddest part of all this, because aside from TV critics saying it's the GOAT it was snubbed by virtually every award show on the planet. In a perfect world the acclaim and hype and 6 million viewers "BB" has, "The Wire" would have too.

Fred.
Your reasons I don't agree with. The way the show changes characters, nobody complains about it for say, The Walking Dead :manny:

No plot you say :wtf: The show took real stories from the streets of Baltimore and they acted the out. Had real cops playing cops on that show. Stories may have seemed bizarre to you, but most of the shyt really happened. With of course some alterations for viewing purposes.

Now as for competing with shows like Sorpranos it has no chance because of the black angle. Because shows with white people is what white people want to see FIRST and FOREMOST then all that other shyt after.
The Wire imo was the better show by a country mile. But I enjoy watching shows with people of color acting in situations I may or even may not encounter. Every group has a sense of racial pride. Because of this, shows get more love just because of that. We heavily outnumbered so the Wire was a bigger success in the context/scheme of things. Just no commercially

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your reasons I don't agree with. The way the show changes characters, nobody complains about it for say, The Walking Dead :manny:

No plot you say :wtf: The show took real stories from the streets of Baltimore and they acted the out. Had real cops playing cops on that show. Stories may have seemed bizarre to you, but most of the shyt really happened. With of course some alterations for viewing purposes.

Now as for competing with shows like Sorpranos it has no chance because of the black angle. Because shows with white people is what white people want to see FIRST and FOREMOST then all that other shyt after.
The Wire imo was the better show by a country mile. But I enjoy watching shows with people of color acting in situations I may or even may not encounter. Every group has a sense of racial pride. Because of this, shows get more love just because of that. We heavily outnumbered so the Wire was a bigger success in the context/scheme of things. Just no commercially

The fukk are you talking about? Rick, Carl, Daryl, Glenn, and Carol have been part of the show since season 1. Obviously because of the nature of the show characters die and new characters are introduced but The Walking Dead actually has a lead character and a core group of characters that stick around for multiple seasons.