Why wasn't Ethiopia colonized by Europeans?

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
Battle of Adwa :blessed:
From Wikipedia: The Battle of Adwa (Amharic:አድዋ; Amharic translated: Adowa, or sometimes by the Italian name Adua) was fought on 2 March 1896/Yekatit 23, 1889 according to Ethiopian calendar between the Ethiopian Empire and the Kingdom of Italy near the town of Adwa, Ethiopia, in Tigray.

This climactic battle of the First Italo-Ethiopian War, was a decisive defeat for Italy and secured Ethiopian sovereignty.
:blessed:

As the 20th century approached, Africa had been carved up among the European powers at the Berlin Conference.
:mindblown:

The two independent exceptions were the Republic of Liberia on the west coast and Ethiopia, or then still commonly known as Abyssinia, in the eastern Horn of Africa region.

I'm starting to understand why Rastas and Ethiopians are so proud brehs. I know Africans have been fighting all over the world for freedom, but I hadn't thought about how Europeans had divided up Africa and Africans as they did to African slaves during the TAST.

NoGutsNoGLory

Superstar
Daps
Ethiopia lost. They didn't have the technology to compete with Italy. Selassie went into exil somewhere in Europe and Italy occupied Ethiopia for two years.

Ethiopian rebels eventually chased the Italians out and Selassie returned to power.

I don't think Italy's "victory" was recognized internationally, though the war was heavily covered by international news out-lets.

What puzzles me is that Ethiopia was left high and dry by the League of Nations. Selassie traveled to over 100 countries and none helped him defend Ethiopia. He was supposedly "embraced" by world leaders.

He said to the LON, "it's we today and you tomorrow." He was correct, Hitler ran through Europe.

What Italy did was disgusting. Selassie built schools, farms, and modernized rural towns. The Italians attacked non military targets and killed people to scare them.

Selassie at the time of the second war between Italy and Ethiopia had invested six years into educating Ethiopian children and a lot of them were murdered or their schools were destroyed.
You have to remember this was during the great depression so nobody had money to spare to fight a foreign war to help people they could care less about.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I love Ethiopia and not trying to downplay their history but Italy as a military power was a complete joke back then.
This.
Ethiopia fended them off valiantly, but if it had been any other W. European power in that country they'd likely be speaking Dutch, German, or British English right now.
Warfare against colonist states was a bad bet for the majority of the developing world, Ethiopia had cohesion and Italy was weak.

Dad

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
DMV
didn't Mussolini have them on lock for a years?

The Odum of Ala Igbo

Hail Biafra!
Daps
Reppin
The Republic of Biafra
This.
Ethiopia fended them off valiantly, but if it had been any other W. European power in that country they'd likely be speaking Dutch, German, or British English right now.
Warfare against colonist states was a bad bet for the majority of the developing world, Ethiopia had cohesion and Italy was weak.

I don't know how France would have fared against 100,000 Ethiopians armed with 80,000 rifles and cannon. This is a counter-factual, but I think Ethiopia's army was too large for any colonial army aside from Britain. Since they had a large amount of Egyptian troops at their disposal in the late 19th century. Example the Battle of Omdurman.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip
Daps
Ethiopians in general were considered by Europe to be the house negros of Africa countries like British,France could've easily conquered but both only wanted to protect it's shipping routes.
Italy did colonize Ethiopia this fake narrative they wasn't was pushed by white Europeans Ethiopia was partly colonized when italy colonized Eritrea in the 1800s and fully in 1930s:mjlol:i also find it funny when other Africans put them on pedestal as if Ethiopia wasn't helping white colonizers against other Africans:russ:

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Ethiopia was a Christian state and had alliances with multiple European countries
Italy was one of the weaker European militaries

Anyone telling you anything different is a liar.

By the time of the invasion they only had Russian backing due to the Orthodox Christian ties. Britain and France both wanted Ethiopia and Menelik used that to his advantage, but at the same time these so called allies didn't allow Ethiopia to join in the industrial age because it was a Black country. But no lies, without the Russians weapons and some of the training they provided my name would probably be Angelo and I'd be way more light skinned. :ld:

But terrain and the sheer numbers also made conquering Ethiopia a very difficult task in those days. There were far too many advantages the Ethiopians had that others didn't on the continent.

Ethiopians in general were considered by Europe to be the house negros of Africa countries like British,France could've easily conquered but both only wanted to protect it's shipping routes.
Italy did colonize Ethiopia this fake narrative they wasn't was pushed by white Europeans Ethiopia was partly colonized when italy colonized Eritrea in the 1800s and fully in 1930s:mjlol:i also find it funny when other Africans put them on pedestal as if Ethiopia wasn't helping white colonizers against other Africans:russ:

No, Italy didn't colonize Ethiopia. It was an occupation, the Italians only controlled the urban centered but had no control of the rural/remote parts of the country. The Italians were hemorraging money throughout the years they were in Ethiopia which partly aided in their rapid decline throughout WWII. Eritrea was a part of the country that was disputed by many nations including Ethiopia, but in truth the country was sold off by Menelik to Italy in order to weaken the Yohannes IV's true heir Ras Mengesha whose domain included the region which became Eritrea. So that forfeiture makes your point of being partly-colonized invalid.

Emotionally I agree with you, allowing the land that became Eritrea to be colonized was like Ethiopia was already colonized. But that's emotion, not fact. Aside from that, I'm not sure about the white colonizers being helped by Ethiopians bit. At most, the Brits and Ethis collaborated against the Somali people but that's after the Ethiopians/Somali developed a long and bitter rivalry against one another so for Menelik it was inconsequential. It's easy for us to sit here in 2017 and wag our fingers but at that time the game for Ethiopia's leaders was to keep the Europeans at bay while stocking up on weapons and building alliances with other countries that could ensure their sovereignty. For a Black leader to have done that in the 19th century is impressive in spite the mistakes that's why other Africans and African descended people "put Ethiopia on a pedastal".

Ethiopia lost. They didn't have the technology to compete with Italy. Selassie went into exil somewhere in Europe and Italy occupied Ethiopia for two years.

Ethiopian rebels eventually chased the Italians out and Selassie returned to power.

I don't think Italy's "victory" was recognized internationally, though the war was heavily covered by international news out-lets.

What puzzles me is that Ethiopia was left high and dry by the League of Nations. Selassie traveled to over 100 countries and none helped him defend Ethiopia. He was supposedly "embraced" by world leaders.

He said to the LON, "it's we today and you tomorrow." He was correct, Hitler ran through Europe.

What Italy did was disgusting. Selassie built schools, farms, and modernized rural towns. The Italians attacked non military targets and killed people to scare them.

Selassie at the time of the second war between Italy and Ethiopia had invested six years into educating Ethiopian children and a lot of them were murdered or their schools were destroyed.

Black people throughout the Diaspora were very involved actually. There were race riots in Harlem with Black folks beating down Italians over the invasion. It also inspired some of the brightest minds in the Black world to provide their efforts to the liberation of Ethiopia. A lot of great literature came out of this time, in fact a long lost Claude McKay novel (Harlem Renaissance author, I believe he's of Jamaican descent) was just released a few weeks ago which describes what Harlem was like during the Italio-Ethiopian War.

Aside from that the other poster is right. The Great Depression made the LON countries look more inward to their own people/problems. Italy's successful invasion and occupation was the fire that lit the fuse to WWII because it showed that the LON was completely impotent against any threats and that even if the Brits or French wanted to jump out there they couldn't because they weren't as invested in military as the Italians, Germans, and Japanese had become by that point.

Italy occupied Ethiopia for a few years in the mid-to-late 1930s before WWII caused the liberal democracies to fight Italian forces in East Africa

When you think about it, the Axis Powers came pretty close to controlling nearly the whole Nile Valley and Northeast Coast of Africa. If Italy/Germany has the same success in Libya and Egypt that they had against Europe only Sudan and Somaliland would've been left in that region in terms of Allied influence/control. Would've been brutal for the Allied effort in Europe.

Last edited:
Daps

Occupying ≠ Colonization.

Daps
Reppin
Stoic disciples
This.
Only the British could have managed to colonize Ethiopia. The British had enough money to finance a large Sudanese mercenary army which was a major factor. French politicians would be against such expenses on their weaker economy.
The Dutch weren't keen on colonization and preferred to deal for open open cities of trade, the Germans could pull it off but all the other great European powers would just supply Abyssinia with more weapons to prevent the Germans expanding their empire and controlling such a vital region on the red sea.

2Quik4UHoes

Why you had to go?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast groovin…
Only the British could have managed to colonize Ethiopia. The British had enough money to finance a large Sudanese mercenary army which was a major factor. French politicians would be against such expenses on their weaker economy.
The Dutch weren't keen on colonization and preferred to deal for open open cities of trade, the Germans could pull it off but all the other great European powers would just supply Abyssinia with more weapons to prevent the Germans expanding their empire and controlling such a vital region on the red sea.

Pretty much. The rivalry between the European powers was a big reason why Ethiopia wasn't colonized because the Brits and French undermined each other and any other European powers looking to colonize in that region would've faced interference from other European powers. Menelik used this rivalry to his advantage and finessed for as long as he could before the Brits and French decided to leave them for dead against Italy.

Real shyt, even after the Italians were driven out a second time the British wanted to break Ethiopia into several different countries and take control of the Tigray speaking part which includes modern day Eritrea. It was very rare that Europeans fought fair or with any scruples. American support is one of the only reasons Ethiopia remained intact and Selassie returned to power. The decision of Eritrea was also thanks to U.S. support because of their desire to use Kagnew Station in Asmara during the Cold War. Once Ethiopia's regional importance during the Cold War waned it opened the door for Mengistu and the Communists to overthrow Selassie and add fuel to the growing rebellion in Eritrea at that time.

Daps
By the time of the invasion they only had Russian backing due to the Orthodox Christian ties. Britain and France both wanted Ethiopia and Menelik used that to his advantage, but at the same time these so called allies didn't allow Ethiopia to join in the industrial age because it was a Black country. But no lies, without the Russians weapons and some of the training they provided my name would probably be Angelo and I'd be way more light skinned. :ld:

But terrain and the sheer numbers also made conquering Ethiopia a very difficult task in those days. There were far too many advantages the Ethiopians had that others didn't on the continent.

No, Italy didn't colonize Ethiopia. It was an occupation, the Italians only controlled the urban centered but had no control of the rural/remote parts of the country. The Italians were hemorraging money throughout the years they were in Ethiopia which partly aided in their rapid decline throughout WWII. Eritrea was a part of the country that was disputed by many nations including Ethiopia, but in truth the country was sold off by Menelik to Italy in order to weaken the Yohannes IV's true heir Ras Mengesha whose domain included the region which became Eritrea. So that forfeiture makes your point of being partly-colonized invalid.

Emotionally I agree with you, allowing the land that became Eritrea to be colonized was like Ethiopia was already colonized. But that's emotion, not fact. Aside from that, I'm not sure about the white colonizers being helped by Ethiopians bit. At most, the Brits and Ethis collaborated against the Somali people but that's after the Ethiopians/Somali developed a long and bitter rivalry against one another so for Menelik it was inconsequential. It's easy for us to sit here in 2017 and wag our fingers but at that time the game for Ethiopia's leaders was to keep the Europeans at bay while stocking up on weapons and building alliances with other countries that could ensure their sovereignty. For a Black leader to have done that in the 19th century is impressive in spite the mistakes that's why other Africans and African descended people "put Ethiopia on a pedastal".

Black people throughout the Diaspora were very involved actually. There were race riots in Harlem with Black folks beating down Italians over the invasion. It also inspired some of the brightest minds in the Black world to provide their efforts to the liberation of Ethiopia. A lot of great literature came out of this time, in fact a long lost Claude McKay novel (Harlem Renaissance author, I believe he's of Jamaican descent) was just released a few weeks ago which describes what Harlem was like during the Italio-Ethiopian War.

Aside from that the other poster is right. The Great Depression made the LON countries look more inward to their own people/problems. Italy's successful invasion and occupation was the fire that lit the fuse to WWII because it showed that the LON was completely impotent against any threats and that even if the Brits or French wanted to jump out there they couldn't because they weren't as invested in military as the Italians, Germans, and Japanese had become by that point.

When you think about it, the Axis Powers came pretty close to controlling nearly the whole Nile Valley and Northeast Coast of Africa. If Italy/Germany has the same success in Libya and Egypt that they had against Europe only Sudan and Somaliland would've been left in that region in terms of Allied influence/control. Would've been brutal for the Allied effort in Europe.

I agree with most of what you say but I think you're wrong when you say they didn't corroborate with Europeans. I'm pretty sure the British were saved in several battles by Ethiopians during the mahadist battles I think they had some sort of agreement.

You can also add Oromo and all the people of the South into the group with Somali people because they were all conquered using European aid.