Why wasn't Elton John's hypocrisy called out, defending Eminem's homophobia but 20 years later condemning DaBaby during his homophobia backlash?

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
I didn't make that up. I read your post specifically Elton's IG post addressing DaBaby. He condemned the statements moreso than he comdemned DaBaby.

He only defended Eminem because Em was made to make an apology. The Grammy performance was him extending an olive branch. Eminem was actually being picketed by gays and feminist groups in the '00's because of his lyrics. Interscope was no stranger to selling records based on controversy. He was made to do the performance because of pressure placed on Interscope.

:comeon:

You are making up stuff again.

Em wasn't made to do anything. The Grammy video is posted right there in the OP. Em sticks his middle finger up at the end, there was no apology. I specifically remember this moment. Watching MTV News with Kurt Loader. Elton had fans telling him not to do it and that it was a sell out move. Interscope did it as a means of using Elton to curb the backlash and picketing that u mentioned. When Em was asked why he stuck his middle finger up it was literally to those picketers and groups that were making the noise to say Em was homophobic. You cant just make up stuff because I was right there when it all unfolded.

And with that said, nothing u just said explains why Elton John contradicted himself defending Em while condemning DaBaby.

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
eminem is a kkkrakka, so of course another kkrakka will defend him. That's why I find it so confusing how you dumbazz nikkaz up here stand up for white people so much.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

I WILL SAY THIS...

EM WAS MAKING MUSIC,
CREATING ART OR WHATEVER
SYNONYM YOU WANNA USE
WHILE DABABY JUST GOT ON STAGE
AND CRASHED OUT FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON.

RAPPERS SAY "HOMOPHOBIC" shyt
IN THEIR RHYMES ALL THE TIME
WITH NO ISSUE.

DABABY HAD TO AT LEAST
PRETEND THERE WAS ART BEHIND IT

:devil:
:evil:

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Because he got paid to chill out with Eminen, he was making too much money for Interscope and MTV.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Em was clearly joking around, he was making jokes bout himself being gay too. Plus no social media for people to be constantly reminded :sas2:
You wasn't around for the controversy surrounding Em at that time. Gays were tryna get Em all the way outta here. The mafia didn't have that kind of pull yet.

DaBaby was just outright stupid cuz he said that outta nowhere at a show for no reason. He couldn't hide behind it being a bar on a track. Em wasn't out her going on a gay bashing mission, so in his case, it was part of the music. DaBaby was talking out of his ass.

The comments alone were a mistake, but the biggest mistake DaBaby made was thinking he could say that shyt and not feel too much of an effect cuz hip-hop was gonna ride for him and hold him down. Hip-hop was already starting to get tired of his music. If he could do it over, he woulda found a simpler way to hype the crowd up, fell back a bit, do some features, experiment a bit with a sound that didn't sound like the start of a Yogi Bear cartoon and he'd still firmly be one of the bigger names in rap. That Dua Lipa collabo was gonna open so many doors for him and he shut it down.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
:patrice:
But that can't be it because Em did what you just said, associating Ken Kaniff being gay as the reason why he caught AIDS on the song "The Kids." So again Elton would be a hypocrite defending Em while condemning DaBaby.

Also, DaBaby didn't associate HIV with gays. You just made that up. He said things about aids and gays but didn't associate the two like you just claimed.

Ehhh...if you're going to argue that DaBaby didn't explicitly connect the dots between gays and AIDS, I don't see how you can say that Em did the same on a relatively obscure song (especially at the time) with an Erik Cartman adlib.

They both mentioned AIDS, one did it as a joke in the middle of a song, one went on said it on stage while pushing the stigmas and misinformation about it in the midst of asking the fellas who won't be sucking dikk in the parking lot.

I mean...he could have just did the fukking song lol

Last edited:

Mac Ten

Class of 97 !!!
Daps
Reppin
B-More
Eminem got on stage with Elton John and held his hand…

They became good friends.

DaBaby shouldn’t have said that at all considering how that we’re in a very sensitive era.

Back then, cats didn’t really have a voice to explain their stances on things.

The LGBT community has more power nowadays and they want payback for everyone that bullied them in the early 90s to mid 2000s. Cats were getting ran out the neighborhood and spat on.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
Ehhh...if you're going to argue that DaBaby didn't explicitly connect the dots between gays and AIDS, I don't see how you can say that Em did the same on a relatively obscure song (especially at the time) with an Erik Cartman adlib.

They both mentioned AIDS, one did it as a joke in the middle of a song, one went on said it on stage while pushing the stigmas and misinformation about it in the midst of asking the fellas who won't be sucking dikk in the parking lot.

I mean...he could have just did the fukking song lol

No.

I corrected the person I quoted who attempted to connect dots that didn't exist using that 1 song as an example. But we both know Em didn't just do 1 song mentioning gays compared to 1 incident with DaBaby. We're talking numerous songs and numerous F bombs as well as mocking Verscaes violent death and comparing that to DaBaby who said something to hype the crowd yet that something was 1 'call and response' moment not numerous songs. Em mocked Versaces violent death on the song "Criminal" and added a gay joke and Elton thought that was worth defending but DaBaby is supposed to be condemned?

:francis:
Naa buddy, Elton was clearly picking and choosing.

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
No.

I corrected the person I quoted who attempted to connect dots that didn't exist using that 1 song as an example. But we both know Em didn't just do 1 song mentioning gays compared to 1 incident with DaBaby. We're talking numerous songs and numerous F bombs as well as mocking Verscaes violent death and comparing that to DaBaby who said something to hype the crowd yet that something was 1 'call and response' moment not numerous songs. Em mocked Versaces violent death on the song "Criminal" and added a gay joke and Elton thought that was worth defending but DaBaby is supposed to be condemned?

:francis:
Naa buddy, Elton was clearly picking and choosing.

You cited The Kids specifically homie. And I'm gonna assume you only went that 'deep' into it with that particular song because it was the best comparison you could come up.

Now if you're moving on from trying to make that work and want it about his content as a whole, yes he has numerous songs where he pokes fun at gays. He also has numerous songs and skits, interviews where he plays like or even implies he himself is gay. Even on the song "Criminal" he basically tells you before the song starts that he doesn't do or believe in the crazy shyt he says on a record and that people who believe he does are stupid...correct?

And even withiout the disclaimer,, there is a difference between doing something within the scope of decididly satiracal art and just blurting some dumb shyt out on stage in real time to a crowd of people.

Last edited:

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I still have no idea why the baby paused his show to rant about p*ssy water and fakkits sucking dikk in the parking lot :dahell:

Because he's a troll. nikka was wearing diapers for attention lol. Nothing wrong with that but if you gonna be a troll put some thought into it. He ain't think that out one bit.

Funny enough...one of the few people to actually defend him that I can think off off top was Eminem and Chappelle.

Last edited:

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
You cited The Kids specifically homie. And I'm gonna assume you only went that 'deep' into it with that particular song because it was the best comparison you could come up.

Now if you're moving on from trying to make that work and want it about his content as a whole, yes he has numerous songs where he pokes fun at gays. He also has numerous songs and skits, interviews where he plays like or even implies he himself is gay. Even on the song "Criminal" he basically tells you before the song starts that he doesn't do or believe in the crazy shyt he says on a record and that people who believe he does are stupid...correct?

And even withiout the disclaimer,, there is a difference between doing something with the scope of decididly satiracle art and just blurting some dumb shyt out on stage in real time to a crowd of people.

No.

This is the 2nd time you erroneously brought why I mentioned that 1 song "The Kids." I only brought up that 1 song to point out that Em aligned Aids with someone gay because the person I quoted made up a lie about DaBaby aligning aids with gays as to why Elton defended Em while condemning DaBaby. That's it. That's all. No more no less.

And what you just said about the disclaimer before the song "Criminal" doesn't remove Em mocking Versaces death while ending it with a gay joke. If your family member who you really loves died violently and a rapper mocked it we both know you wouldn't be going "but but but it was just satire he doesn't believe what he's actually saying and anyone who believes he does is stupid."

:stopitslime:

You have a reputation on The Coli for being a super huge Em fan and you have confirmed your reputation with your last 2 replies. So at this point I only expect you to keep defending Em like you have been doing so none of your comments can be taken as objective. :ehh:

SunZoo

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
No.

This is the 2nd time you erroneously brought why I mentioned that 1 song "The Kids." I only brought up that 1 song to point out that Em aligned Aids with someone gay because the person I quoted made up a lie about DaBaby aligning aids with gays as to why Elton defended Em while condemning DaBaby. That's it. That's all. No more no less.

So you pointed it up because it was similar enough to DaBaby's incident to make a comparison. If Elton didn't condem this, why this? That's exactly what I said you did, cept it's not that sound of a comparison.

And what you just said about the disclaimer before the song "Criminal" doesn't remove Em mocking Versaces death while ending it with a gay joke. If your family member who you really loves died violently and a rapper mocked it we both know you wouldn't be going "but but but it was just satire he doesn't believe what he's actually saying and anyone who believes he does is stupid."

Oh wait a minute...we talking about who's family member is feeling what? I'd say that's out of the bounds of objectivity. Pointing up that there is a clear difference between something done in a satircal art piece and just blurting out dumb shyt, is what the comparison boils down to, objecively.

:stopitslime:

You have a reputation on The Coli for being a super huge Em fan and you have confirmed your reputation with your last 2 replies. So at this point I only expect you to keep defending Em like you have been doing so none of your comments can be taken as objective. :ehh:

I mean I saw that cop out coming, but no need for that breh. I'm a big fan for sure, but I think most people would tell you that I'm reasonable and can in deed be objective here.

Objective definition:
  1. Existing independent of or external to the mind; actual or real.
    "objective reality."
  2. Based on observable phenomena; empirical.
    "objective facts."
  3. Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices

Now, my 'reputation' and your feelings aside

- On the album/songs in question, it is made clear that it is satircal in nature, as is the case with him being gay and a whole host of other wacky shyt...yes?

- If you follow up your AIDS misinformation rant on stage with telling all the fellas who won't be sucking dikk to put your lighters up, it becomes a bit diffcult to un-connect those dots..yes?

It was an unforced error and done completely outside the context of anything artist. He goof'd up. And if you're not gonna accept the notion that it was just cacs sticking together then it has to be that the scenarios were pretty different despite how much you want to conflate the two.

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
I don't have a dog in this fight but whether Em was actually homophobic or just a hater/character in general, I can't tell.

With that said, not to excuse Em's blatant but purposeful offensiveness - DaBaby was hilariously out of touch and uncalled for. Especially in 2024 going on a stage rant about HIV/AIDS and then explaining it by saying "Oh yeah I'm cool with gay people-only the classy ones - not the ones that suck dikks in parking lots" :russ: the actual quote is hilarious.

edit also that whole period people treated him with kid gloves iirc

Last edited: