Why wasn't Elton John's hypocrisy called out, defending Eminem's homophobia but 20 years later condemning DaBaby during his homophobia backlash?

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
:patrice:

In 2021, Elton John ( or his handlers ) penned an IG post that went viral, jumping on the online wave of condemning DaBaby for his controversial 'call and response' at Rolling Loud that was deemed homophobic.

But 20 years prior, in the year 2001, Elton performed with Eminem at the Grammys as a means of defending Em expressing his art after Em received great backlash for his homophobic lyrics on his 2nd album The Marshall Mathers LP.

“[Eminem] was accused of being homophobic by so many people,” Elton explained. “Because of his lyrics, which I thought was nonsense. And I came out and supported the fact that he isn’t.”

:dahell:

source:

Elton then goes on to explain how him and Em became good friends after that. And Hip Hop hadn't heard from Elton since. But 20 years later, Elton pops up out of nowhere and contradicts himself by condemning DaBaby for the same thing he defended Em for, even tho what Em did was way worse. And people online were amping up Eltons IG post as if Elton defending Eminem for the same exact thing never happened. Ems words were on published music, made available to the public. DaBaby said what he said at a concert that was just words to hype up that specific crowd, not actual songs that would live on forever like with Em. Elton is a hypocrite. Yet I noticed no one really got at Elton for his hypocrisy.

:jbhmm:

Off topic, Will Smith in 1986/1988, did something similar to what DaBaby did, hyping up the crowd, doing a 'call and response', using AIDS on the song "Live At Union Square" yet this never came back to haunt Will nor did this ever get backlash.

I timestamped it:

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
White man backs another white man for an offense he’d gladly lynch a negro for.

Details at 11

Of course I thought about that but the first time I had ever heard of Elton John was as a kid watching videos with my father in the 80's and when this video came and I saw it for the first time, my pops asked me if I knew who was who and I only knew Stevie Wonder so he named everyone else that I wasnt familiar with. He stood out cuz he was the only white person surrounded by Black people.

So the impression for years was that Elton was invited to the cook out, as they say. Add the times he performed live with Mary J Blige, the queen of Hip Hop R&B and him defending Em in a genre and culture that is predominately Black and all of that helped seal the impression.

So when the DaBaby backlash happens and Elton out of nowhere contradicts himself it stood out. So saying it was racial calls into question whether he was really down to begin with. I seriously wish someone would have called Elton out on this so he could explain why he contradicted himself.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
white-person-dance.gif

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
Em was clearly joking around, he was making jokes bout himself being gay too. Plus no social media for people to be constantly reminded :sas2:

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
There is a difference. DaBaby was moreso condemned for the perpetuating the HIV stigma associated with gays than being outright homophobic.
This!
Close the thread.
But that can't be it because Em did what you just said, associating Ken Kaniff being gay as the reason why he caught AIDS on the song "The Kids." So again Elton would be a hypocrite defending Em while condemning DaBaby.

Also, DaBaby didn't associate HIV with gays. You just made that up. He said things about aids and gays but didn't associate the two like you just claimed.

boogers

cats rule, dogs drool
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#catset
he shouldn'tve given em a pass honestly. em said some horrific shyt and elton john legitimized him - he went from being a 'danger to the kids' to being considered a real artist with that performance. elton did a lot of damage there if we're holding him to his own standards. i think he ought to shut the fukk up.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But that can't be it because Em did what you just said, associating Ken Kaniff being gay as the reason why he caught AIDS on the song "The Kids." So again Elton would be a hypocrite defending Em while condemning DaBaby.

Also, DaBaby didn't associate HIV with gays. You just made that up. He said things about aids and gays but didn't associate the two like you just claimed.

I didn't make that up. I read your post specifically Elton's IG post addressing DaBaby. He condemned the statements moreso than he comdemned DaBaby.

He only defended Eminem because Em was made to make an apology. The Grammy performance was him extending an olive branch. Eminem was actually being picketed by gays and feminist groups in the '00's because of his lyrics. Interscope was no stranger to selling records based on controversy. He was made to do the performance because of pressure placed on Interscope.