Why was McNulty the only one to know about Barksdale's criminal empire?

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Thats what my Dad asked about when he saw the first episode

Been so long since I watched it i forgot the details of if there was a reason or not

Basically my dad was on that :mjpls:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Because it establishes his character flaw and strength with one stroke. He's obsessed to no end with finding new targets, at the expense of a normal life, and will go beyond the chain of command and break laws and codes of conduct to build cases that he concocts a personal obligation to. He uses work to overcompensate for his lack of a life at home (his apartment is damn near empty while his work desk is filled with shyt) and because of the blur, he takes work personally and grandstands on the issue of police work so he can stick it to the bosses. That flaw and strength escalated until it cost him his job.

But simply, he knew about it because he is hyperfocused and driven to know about shyt that no one else pays attention to. If it wasn't the Barksdale organization, it would be some other drug dealer that he would use to hold over everyone's head.

Last edited:

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
Season 2 should've told you McNultty was obsessed with his job, He himself MADE the department pick up
the case with hookers in the cargo containers.

DaylitoJames

#SnitchGang Elite
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sneak Nation
It seemed like McNulty was obsessed with The Barksdale Empire... specically Stringer in which he looked to him as his main adversary. That's why McNulty looked like :stopitslime: when they arrested Avon but not Stringer. And why McNulty looked like :ohhh: when Stringer was dead and realized he truly didn't know who Stringer was when he was in his apartment

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
It seemed like McNulty was obsessed with The Barksdale Empire... specically Stringer in which he looked to him as his main adversary. That's why McNulty looked like :stopitslime: when they arrested Avon but not Stringer. And why McNulty looked like :ohhh: when Stringer was dead and realized he truly didn't know who Stringer was when he was in his apartment

I find it odd that he was surprised on the shyt he found in Stringer's crib. I thought he singled Stringer out because he knew breh was not just a street dude but the real mastermind behind the Barksdale organization and the much more worthier catch. Dude wanted to show he was smarter than everybody else.

Trav

Marathon Mentality 🏁
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TMC 8-24
Nobody was concerned with the connecting the dots to nikkas serving poison to their own, in the hood, until bodies started dropping, beginning with DAngelo's dumb ass shooting somebody in broad day in front if security which made them go back and look at other bodies possibly connected. Before that, Barskdale crew was real low key, quiet, and just kept that shyt humming. DAngelo put them on the radar in a bad way.

Last edited:

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
pretty sure the show explained it. The police only cared about/paid attention to the bodies and Avon and them weren't actually dropping anyone in a while so they weren't paying any attention. Avon had no rep with the police at all and neither did Stringer. If you remember when they brought the detail together none of them other than maybe Lester had any idea of how to really dig and put a case together and they even bragged that in their district all they basically did was just run up on nikkas and knock heads. They weren't really in the streets like that to find out what was going on.