Why the hell did Walter want to be Pablo Escobar?

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
:dahell:

I'm on the last season and I'm rewatching episodes I'd only seen once.

This dude really killed Mike for nothing.

I get him trying to deal with Gus (he wanted to kill him), but, he steps in a game he really knows nothing about and gets all the chances to back out.

I got him wanting to deal with snitches, but, the Czech stuff is just stupid when it's just him selling without an estranged wife and DEA bro-in-law.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps

I get him trying to deal with Gus (he wanted to kill him), but, he steps in a game he really knows nothing about and gets all the chances to back out.

I got him wanting to deal with snitches, but, the Czech stuff is just stupid when it's just him selling without an estranged wife and DEA bro-in-law.

This, basically:

Fred.

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
I only watched the series once but I believe there is a scene where he literally answers this question. He pretended he was doing this for family and pretended he stayed in because of circumstances beyond his control but the truth was he wanted to be in the game making moves and knocking people off. He wanted the power.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ego.

Dude was a brilliant chemist that won the Nobel Prize and the series starts with him teaching chemistry at a public high school and washing cars for extra money.

He founded and quit a now billion dollar business because he was at his rich girl's family's BBQ hanging out with people and for the first time wasn't the most impressive person in the room.

He knew he was the best at making meth and it felt great to get that recognition.

The Coochie Assassin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
RD4L
All the posters above answered OP’s question.

I’d also add that Walt ran out of all fukks he had cuz of his cancer.

When some people know they’re going to die soon, they don’t give a damn and do what they really want to do.

Walt said fukk it and cemented his legacy, whether it was good or bad.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
Walt was clearly ambitious, and heroic when pushed. However, he was craven by nature and required some sort of "juice" to be dangerous - the cancer to break bad. A threat to himself, his family (and, ultimately, Jesse) to act out on his inner Heisenberg instincts.

Walter was content with letting Mike go on the lam with the money...until Mike went into his "This is all on you" diatribe. That set Walter off and led to "Heisenberg" killing Mike.

Last edited:

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Dude was beaten the fukk down by life - blew a business opportunity because he was in his feelings, had to settle for being a teacher in a mediocre ass life with a domineering wife, and then gets cancer. Finally found an outlet to be a bawse and got addicted to it.

Pretty much any pretense of Walt trying to make sure his family was set after he died went away when his cancer went into remission but he still went back to the game on some "YOU HAVE TO RESPECT THE CHEMISTRY:duck:"

XannyWarbucks

Superstar
Daps
He quit a business that became a billion-dollar empire. He has cancer. His son has atrophy and gets bullied. His wife annoying as fukk, but that's the mother of his kids. And, he has cancer.
He had nothing to lose. When he realized he was the best at what he does-- his ego took over for him. I always thought that him getting into it for "muh family" was just him trying to convince himself that he's doing something morally right. In the end, he even tells Skylar that he did it because he liked the feeling.

:mjcry:If Walter didn't have cancer he'd probably still be washing his student's cars.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

One word

EGO.

Walt spent his life feeling underappreciated. Dude was a genius who saw his best friend become rich and take his girlfriend off of HIS idea. Then he married Skylar, who by all accounts was a fukking ball buster. His only son and heir was handicap and liked his uncle more than him. He was a fukking High School chemistry teacher who couldn’t even pay the bills in his own household.

When he became Heisenberg he got a taste of respect. Also every plan he had, no matter how reckless, pretty much turned out well for him. Dude was finally the BEST at something, but he overplayed his hand. He thought he could turn Jesse into the son he always wanted. He thought he could replace Gus and run the business he always envisioned.

But heavy is the head that holds the crown.