Why Killer Instinct will never get it's due in the FGC?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Killer Instinct launched with less than 10 characters is what I'm talking about.
The character passes are fine but the launch roster should've been combined season 1 & 2 roster and then work from there.

I understand the price reflected it launching smaller but we're talking about it being a competitive fighter at tournaments. It's hard to build a competitive scene with such a small roster for the first year or so

Smaller rosters fell out of favor but I prefer a 10 man roster over a huge one where the majority of the cast is useless. Plus a new character dropped consistently every month for half a year until the next season started up.

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/NYY/NYR/ALA
Yeah that was KI Gold on N64 and it was fukking hell to play. Put literally 0 time into that shyt. Terrible way to end the franchise at the time too.

Didn't find the XB1 version too bad with the Xbox controller though.
The only good fighting game for the n64 was Mortal Kombat 4. Somehow the 64 version is the closest the home versions come to the arcade version.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
They just didn't have the community to hold it up. And even back when it was popping, it was just the 'other' behind MK and SF - then after that there was a flood of fighting games of all kinds. That community disintegrated and branched into fans of other franchises. That was just waaaay too much time on the bench. Like if Clayfighters came back it'd probably suffer the same fate.

Jonah

XBOT Suicide Prevention Squad
Daps
Reppin
Cali Crew
The black cartridge is the only thing KI related that matters...

1-4253.jpg

Im not sure about EVO, but I know people still play this competitively

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
KI is more of a button masher while SF,Tekken, KOF, are more technical fighters which get taken more seriously in hardcore FGCs.
Now you know damn well you not at liberty to speak on this topic considering ain't one fighting game you technically skilled at. :usure:

Biblical Goon

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's a subpar fighting game no matter how you slice it. Presentation was poor, the character models are bulky and ugly and the gameplay cant keep up to the technical games we have now. It is what it is :yeshrug:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
I always found that KI's system and controls were too confusing and complicated. Plus the metagame was broken last time I saw, the DLC characters like Arbiter were unbeatable.

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
There was a big gap between the previous one and the current one

KI Gold came out on N64 back in 96, this new joint just came out in 2013, that's 17 fukkin years,

so inconsistency

which means a huge chunk of gamers who don't link KI to nostalgic moments in their life

you can't just skip 3-4 generations of tech and 5 generations of gamers and get top rank in the conversation

not to mention, the longer you go without making a new version of your IP, whether movies music games whatever, you get caught between throwing your hat in the ring as far as appealing to the critics and fans of current gen to avoid a flop, and pleasing old fans/not chasing them away,

So if your games have 2 decades between them, like in this case, aesthetics and game mechanics will be mish mash

only people gonna put respek on KI's name are those who were there. And that percentage gets lower the older we get