Why Killer Instinct will never get it's due in the FGC?

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Stan Wars aside, Street Fighter V could take notes from KI’s netcode. shyt has the best non GGPO netcode for a fighting game

:wow:Going through those rank lobbies like:

apwu.gif

Zebruh

The Illustrious
Supporter
Daps
FGC gave it like a year or two at the larger tournaments when it first dropped on the X1. Had top SF and Marvel players playing it actually. :yeshrug: People claimed it was scrub friendly, but you had pros from other fighters stepping out and saying the game is actually legit.

It just didn't pull any numbers like that, and people seemed uninterested in it. It doesn't have a hardcore following in the FGC, and I think that can be partly attributed to the fact that the KI franchise wasn't present when the FGC started gaining traction via the EVO Tournaments. If it's 2005 and the last game dropped in 1996, I can't imagine a scene keeping that game alive in that capacity. Another reason being that when it released, it was a Xbox One exclusive, and Microsoft was having a PR nightmare at the time. With the FGC being a primarily PS4 based market due to install base and SF 5 being exclusive, Killer Instinct had to fight an extremely uphill battle to be acknowledged in the eyes of the FGC. Pair that with the backlash the community itself has been giving the devs for the changes in Season 3 and you have a game that the majority of the FGC absolutely won't check for on a major scale. :yeshrug:

I haven't played KI, but as a FGC fan I come across some KI content/posts and people just want it to go back to what Season 2 had did because that seems to be the height of the game competitively, while also having been met with praise and good communication between devs and fanbase on all levels.

Skip b

#SwiftSet
Daps
Reppin
Swiftset
It was always my personal favourite. Used to smash the arcade one, then got it for SNES, then KI Gold on N64, and then the re-release for XB1.

Music, gore, combo system (Ultraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) was always my shyt.
Thry released a version for the 64 a system which didnt support fighters like the PlayStation did due to its controller; thus ruining the franchise.....I always favored killer instinct over Mortal Kombat and Street fighter; but didnt pick up the 64 version as I couldnt see myself pulling off combos on that joy stick.....Jumping to Xbox didnt help matter at all neither

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Thry released a version for the 64 a system which didnt support fighters like the PlayStation did due to its controller; thus ruining the franchise.....I always favored killer instinct over Mortal Kombat and Street fighter; but didnt pick up the 64 version as I couldnt see myself pulling off combos on that joy stick.....Jumping to Xbox didnt help matter at all neither
Yeah that was KI Gold on N64 and it was fukking hell to play. Put literally 0 time into that shyt. Terrible way to end the franchise at the time too.

Didn't find the XB1 version too bad with the Xbox controller though.

Mike_Pipeson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
HTX
:jbhmm:This been bugging me over the course of years, especially during EVO. Why Killer Instinct never get props on the level of Street Fighter and even Tekken. Everything about the series defines the true meaning of dope fighting game from the amazing soundtrack, the combos:banderas:, and even the fighters. Yet, it's still seems like a underplayed series which is unfortunate.

Thoughts:ld:

I've way wondered this breh. I have not played the new one much at all but this is for the original two from 94 and 96.

If we go off just these two, everyone's argument about depth and bring a button masher are straight BS as especially KI2 had waaaay more depth than any Tekken, MK, and this was really when SF was getting into Supers.

I'm assuming at this time people just we're really getting into fighters and stuck with what they know. Plus Rare was more focused on DK and other games at the time.

Real sad though cuz KI, at the time, was hands down (not up for arguement :ufdup:)
the best fighter of it's day. How it held up though... Can't speak on it.

parallax

Superstar
Daps
Honestly I think it's because all the people that were waiting for it got tired of waiting. The last game that came out before the recent one was in 97. It also didn't help that they launched it the way they did.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
huge reason I got a X1 at launch played the game none stop the 1st two seasons.

Sadly the the flack the X1 was getting KI didn't stand a chance, people liked the game but refused to buy a x1 to play it.

If KI was multi plat when it got brought back it would have been pretty big.
Imo, releasing the game in chunks like they did hurt ir. If they had waited until they had a full featured game and then released it with the typical rounds of DLC, it would've done much better

Mike_Pipeson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
HTX
huge reason I got a X1 at launch played the game none stop the 1st two seasons.

Sadly the the flack the X1 was getting KI didn't stand a chance, people liked the game but refused to buy a x1 to play it.

If KI was multi plat when it got brought back it would have been pretty big.
THIS

Went damn near undefeated in the arcades in the 90s with the first two and waited and waited for a reboot was excited then crushed they went x bone only and was like :hubie::camby:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Imo, releasing the game in chunks like they did hurt ir. If they had waited until they had a full featured game and then released it with the typical rounds of DLC, it would've done much better
Chunks? You mean updates? or do you mean releasing a new character every month? Because guess what games do that or try to do that now.... Streetfighter, injustice, Dragonball fighterz..etc etc

Double helix/Microsoft set the standard for fighting games using that model. Again people hated on it because they figured it was microsoft trying to get over, but it Pretty much allowed consistent support, bug fixes and patches for a game. Now dang near every fighting game follows this or at least to some extent.

The best part is you could play the whole game free with a different character every week.

It was pretty much a game that they added a free to play mechanic into it and people still hated on it.

Now its common place, much like always being connected to the internet....

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Chunks? You mean updates? or do you mean releasing a new character every month? Because guess what games do that or try to do that now.... Streetfighter, injustice, Dragonball fighterz..etc etc

Double helix/Microsoft set the standard for fighting games using that model. Again people hated on it because they figured it was microsoft trying to get over, but it Pretty much allowed consistent support, bug fixes and patches for a game. Now dang near every fighting game follows this or at least to some extent.

The best part is you could play the whole game free with a different character every week.

It was pretty much a game that they added a free to play mechanic into it and people still hated on it.

Now its common place, much like always being connected to the internet....
Killer Instinct launched with less than 10 characters is what I'm talking about.
The character passes are fine but the launch roster should've been combined season 1 & 2 roster and then work from there.

I understand the price reflected it launching smaller but we're talking about it being a competitive fighter at tournaments. It's hard to build a competitive scene with such a small roster for the first year or so