Why Killer Instinct will never get it's due in the FGC?

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
:jbhmm:This been bugging me over the course of years, especially during EVO. Why Killer Instinct never get props on the level of Street Fighter and even Tekken. Everything about the series defines the true meaning of dope fighting game from the amazing soundtrack, the combos:banderas:, and even the fighters. Yet, it's still seems like a underplayed series which is unfortunate.

Thoughts:ld:

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
I only remember playing one Killer Instinct game for N64 I believe. I guess the game just couldn't hold up to iconic games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
I only remember playing one Killer Instinct game for N64 I believe. I guess the game just couldn't hold up to iconic games like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat.

It's unfortunate because the new one is flames:whew:. Especially the Shadow Lords update which has crazy replayability.

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
It was always my personal favourite. Used to smash the arcade one, then got it for SNES, then KI Gold on N64, and then the re-release for XB1.

Music, gore, combo system (Ultraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa) was always my shyt.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
:jbhmm:This been bugging me over the course of years, especially during EVO. Why Killer Instinct never get props on the level of Street Fighter and even Tekken. Everything about the series defines the true meaning of dope fighting game from the amazing soundtrack, the combos:banderas:, and even the fighters. Yet, it's still seems like a underplayed series which is unfortunate.

Thoughts:ld:
Simple, perception is reality and killer instinct is on the wrong end of a console war. People have spent so much time talking bad about this game when it's been one of the most revolutionary games ever made. Multiple studios worked together along with constant feedback from the community to shape/mold/sculpt what we have today and its mostly gone unnoticed :wow:

With that being the case, this response below is what 99% of the gaming audience thinks killer instinct is...
KI is more of a button masher while SF,Tekken, KOF, are more technical fighters which get taken more seriously in hardcore FGCs.
KI was NEVER a button masher tho :dahell:
And the more popular fighters have gravitated towards more combo heavy gameplay :jbhmm:

llt23

All Star
Daps
KI is more of a button masher while SF,Tekken, KOF, are more technical fighters which get taken more seriously in hardcore FGCs.

It also looks gross. For a next gen game it has horrid graphics.

The combo system is very simple but it makes you think differently about combos. For some thats cool, but for the majority of FGC its limiting. Combo breaker is a cool idea, but normal combo loops in KI are baby mode easy so the whole trick is to make your opponent guess which route you will take to avoid a combo breaker, or just do a really short combo to avoid the situation. In essence now your offense is becoming an advanced version of rock paper scissors.

It does a lot of things well IMO like the single player stuff is good. Gives you a reason to log in every day I guess. Good netcode. But the core gameplay and the graphics are ehhhhhh.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
KI was NEVER a button masher tho :dahell:
And the more popular fighters have gravitated towards more combo heavy gameplay :jbhmm:
How much Killer Instinct have you played?
KI is absolute a button masher especially when compared to SFV, KOF, Tekken, or Guilty Gear.
At no point did I say KI is whack by any stretch.
But it is what it is.
KI is not as much a technical fighter as the others I mentioned, and for the most part, those are the types of games that stick with the hardcore FGC.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven

The combo system is very simple but it makes you think differently about combos. For some thats cool, but for the majority of FGC its limiting. Combo breaker is a cool idea, but normal combo loops in KI are baby mode easy so the whole trick is to make your opponent guess which route you will take to avoid a combo breaker, or just do a really short combo to avoid the situation. In essence now your offense is becoming an advanced version of rock paper scissors.

It does a lot of things well IMO like the single player stuff is good. Gives you a reason to log in every day I guess. Good netcode. But the core gameplay and the graphics are ehhhhhh.
I agree with the gameplay comments, but I think the graphics are cool.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos

The graphics actually drew me in compared to other fighting games. I dug the flashy aspect of the game along with the sound design which was simply:wow:. When you stop a combo or throw from happening and hear a dj scratch during the exchange:banderas:. As far as the combo system goes, that's understandable but there are some amazing manuals that can be pulled off which can simply be a matter of like you said (rock paper scissors). It just pains me to see such an underrated game not get recognized period.

llt23

All Star
Daps
Steam Community :: Killer Instinct

Theres just something wrong with the graphics. Hair and faces look terrible. I linked here the top rated screen shots from the PC version. So no bias, these should be the best the game can look.

And yeah man, I like the game to an extent but I couldnt even get my casual friends to wanna play it. I thought with the combo system it would be easy for casuals but it never is brehs. The character designs werent appealing either. Its hard to like the roster and want to play them.

I bought it, went thru the whole tutorial, messed with single player, played online... the works. I did give it a legit shot. I like a lot about it so I dont wanna sound like Im trashing it.

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
How much Killer Instinct have you played?
KI is absolute a button masher especially when compared to SFV, KOF, Tekken, or Guilty Gear.
At no point did I say KI is whack by any stretch.
But it is what it is.
KI is not as much a technical fighter as the others I mentioned, and for the most part, those are the types of games that stick with the hardcore FGC.
First off let's stop the rank questions because I outrank you :sitdown: I was in them arcades, I remember the Nintendo logo on the side of the arcade cabinet, I day one'd the game on the SNES like ya daddy did :ufdup: first black cartridge too now that I think about it but that was for the first x-amount of copies..hmmmm..

As for the gameplay, only a person who never got into the game would say that so please stop acting as if you play or ever played. You around games, you like everyone else can give a summery of what the game is but once you said button masher it exposed you. You can button mash in street fighter and win easier than you could in killer instinct. You button mash in KI and nikkaz will just have you stuck in a continuous combo. Street fighter a bottom mash could result in just a well placed fierce kick. An experienced player would be able to dodge that is your thought process but that logic applies way more to KI :ufdup:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
First off let's stop the rank questions because I outrank you :sitdown: I was in them arcades, I remember the Nintendo logo on the side of the arcade cabinet, I day one'd the game on the SNES like ya daddy did :ufdup: first black cartridge too now that I think about it but that was for the first x-amount of copies..hmmmm..

As for the gameplay, only a person who never got into the game would say that so please stop acting as if you play or ever played. You around games, you like everyone else can give a summery of what the game is but once you said button masher it exposed you. You can button mash in street fighter and win easier than you could in killer instinct. You button mash in KI and nikkaz will just have you stuck in a continuous combo. Street fighter a bottom mash could result in just a well placed fierce kick. An experienced player would be able to dodge that is your thought process but that logic applies way more to KI :ufdup:
I still have the original black cartridge :umad:
My gamerscore is higher than yours is in this game so :umad:
You're literally the only person in this thread :umad:about the game being referred to as a button masher and you likely have played it the least.

PS5 Pro

Daps
Reppin
I still have the original black cartridge :umad:
My gamerscore is higher than yours is in this game so :umad:
You're literally the only person in this thread :umad:about the game being referred to as a button masher and you likely have played it the least.
I have connections to Ken lobb :leostare:
I'm not into killer instinct because it's TOO DEEP. You have to learn how to be a beast in any new game and I'm at a time in my life that I don't wanna commit that much time into getting good at a game. I'm sure I'd go undefeated vs you tho and I did challenge you to ANY XBOX EXCLUSIVE which you turned down Everytime so whenever you wanna film "when keeping it real goes"

I'll be here :win: