Why is there no new soul calibur?

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No Virtua Fighter either. Hell where is the new Dead or Alive? The genre, like racing, can only support a few IP.

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
No Virtua Fighter either.
This one hurts, truly. SEGA ain’t shyt for letting not putting VF5US on Steam. The PC community would have gave the series a much needed revival.

fukking cowards :pacspit:

Raw Sauce

Superstar
Daps
I don't feel like digging to find the links/proof on 8WR since it's been years since I saw it explained there by some ex-Namco employees but long story short, Harada took over Tekken with 4 and got dog walked by SC2 and has held a grudge ever since. Once he got put into a position to be over both projects, SoulCalibur's budget has dropped with every new release, despite selling well for every iteration in spite of these cuts. At this point, the series just exists to test out new concepts for Tekken. Calibur was the first 3D fighter with supers, then Tekken got them. Calibur had these crazy character specific special Soul Charge states and now Tekken has the same Heat. I wish they'd figure out how to get 8 directional movement finally for Tekken 8, but I digress.

Either way, SC will be back with an even smaller budget when they need to figure out what they wanna test for Tekken 9.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
:francis:It's niche. I bought Soul 6 on day one cause I know how it goes: multiplayer is going to thrive for 2 months and quickly go to shyt. Tekken 7 on Steam has 3400 players right now vs Soul 6 340. Certain games you either get a local scene or buy it and play the shyt out of until the community dies. Soul series is way up there on the list of excellent fighting games with no longevity. Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter games eats its audience even though they are very different.

You have more faith than I do. Fighting games shelf lives are the WOAT if its not a console darling like Smash Brothers. Any game where there is an online component and you start seeing yourself facing the same 10 dudes every day is officially dead. Soul Caliber 3 was the height and Arcades were still at the tail end of relevance. The excitement for those games don't translate to home consoles well. Even worse on PC (making crossplay more important).

I’d also add that IP-wise, SF and MK simply have greater pop culture recognition due to consistent exposure in other mainstream outlets and thus can attract more old and new gamers to give it a try/stick with it.

I personally have minimal interest in the fight genre but if I hear there’s a new SF, MK, MvC, MKvDC, (or DBZ as another example)… naturally it’ll have my curiosity bc there’s 15-25+ years of non-game related engagement with those characters from cartoons, live action shows, movies, comics, etc.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This one hurts, truly. SEGA ain’t shyt for letting not putting VF5US on Steam. The PC community would have gave the series a much needed revival.

fukking cowards :pacspit:
VF5US didn't stand a chance anyway once they said the game didn't have rollback

Japan had to learn the hard way that your fighting game is DOA if it has no rollback. That shyt came and went :francis: didn't even last two weeks:francis:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I don't feel like digging to find the links/proof on 8WR since it's been years since I saw it explained there by some ex-Namco employees but long story short, Harada took over Tekken with 4 and got dog walked by SC2 and has held a grudge ever since. Once he got put into a position to be over both projects, SoulCalibur's budget has dropped with every new release, despite selling well for every iteration in spite of these cuts. At this point, the series just exists to test out new concepts for Tekken. Calibur was the first 3D fighter with supers, then Tekken got them. Calibur had these crazy character specific special Soul Charge states and now Tekken has the same Heat. I wish they'd figure out how to get 8 directional movement finally for Tekken 8, but I digress.

Either way, SC will be back with an even smaller budget when they need to figure out what they wanna test for Tekken 9.
Inaccurate.

Turlast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Two One Five
I loved Soul Calibur 6. I played a ton of V as well even though that game was half-baked.

I really hope Tekken 8 isn't Namco's only fighting game this gen.

Arcavian

Him Downstairs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Texas
I just started replaying 6 on PC, it
lt be nice if they announce the next one but Im not expecting it this year

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

With historical context and knowing how petty Japanese businessmen can be I believe this 100% :dead:

Them nikkas hold a grudge forever:mjlol: