Why is @Liquid and others acting like backwards compatibility is a big deal suddenly?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Lowkey, I see people pretending and using some silly Amazon hourly chart to somehow "prove" that people want it badly because a game like Red Dead Redemption was No.1 best selling game there(for probably an hour or two.)

Amazon best seller charts are updated hourly. Here's where it's at recently.
1bO7IE5.png

Some more tidbits:

RDR is a popular game from Rockstar that
  • doesn't have a current gen remaster
  • doesn't have a PC release

and already it's at # 55. Those Amazon charts are updated hourly. An announcement triggers hype and lots of gamers to go "Oh shyt I should buy it since it's cheap!" only for it to subside hours later in terms of sales.

1bO7IE5.png

If people care about BC so much, where's the hundreds of other games that are selling like crazy that are BC supported on these charts? :jbhmm:

The majority of games that were "BIG" last gen, are already remastered for Xbox1/PS4 so the very few popular titles that haven't been done yet just get a lil sales boost for a few hours/day and then it's back to normal.

If you think I'm just making this up,
Best Xbox 360 Video Games of All Time
damn near every game on this page is remastered or has a remaster coming very soon e.g. Skyrim, Bioshock, Batman Arkham series etc.

I ask again,
If people care about BC so much, where's the hundreds of other games that are selling like crazy that are BC supported on these charts?

Using a few games that are very popular(e.g. Black Ops 2, RDR etc.)that aren't on current gen as the answer is not conclusive as that would've meant that a remaster for said title would've also garnered lots of sales etc.

I know this answer will be hard to provide as this topic is a big talking point for Xbox fans when in reality I'm sure the majority of them couldn't care less about playing old games. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against BC but I'm just curious are people actually pretending to care about it only because their favorite console has it?

Hell, I don't own a single PS2 game on PS4 even though they're superior ports(higher resolution/framerate, trophy support, remote play support etc.) Almost every game I wanted to play I've played already.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
I get you, but don't forget that alot of people (Myself included up to a time) that were hyped for Backwards compatibility on the level of Nintendo's Gameboy (Each handheld plays the games of the one below it) actually had older titles kept and would have liked to done away with the older system and use the new one.

Now I've got TONS of games for the 360, both physical and digital, but unless I get a really good deal or the option to play it Multiplayer on the current gen, I ain't really looking to "Step up" to that Higher resolution/frame rate/achievements shyt for upwards to $40 quid for a game I've either already played or ain't willing to spend that much just to finally play it at that asking price knowing I can get the last gen version cheaper.:manny:

Two games that I've already owned on 360 that I rebought for the X-1 were RE 5 and Borderlands. RE 5 was a $20 dollar no brainer since it came with the DLC and allowed me to run Co-op with a breh who had already dealt away his 360 after going to the 1. With the Borderlands pack, I got it to blow through Co-op as well but it also came with the pre-sequel so I copped despite having 1 and 2 with all the DLC on the 360, an option that's not available for the current gen versions at this time if I'm not mistaken.

That's why I was mad appreciative of Sony's original fat ps3's that could play the last two generations of games damn near flawlessly until the fukkers got greedy, software modded the shyt like a year later and opened up that God awful Psn "Classics" store.:pacspit:

I've given up caring about BC in current consoles now since I just make a concerted effort to keep the last gen shyt intact with all it's games and play through my backlog, pick and choose what I like and sell the rest.:coffee: fukk the large majority of these definitive editions especially since I'm not one to really complain about how 'dated' shyt looks or spring towards an improved framrate or a brighter viewing experience, but that's me, personally.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Backwards compatibility on the PS3 was very convenient for me. Until my OG PS3 finally crapped out on me, I had my old PS2 and PS1 boxed up in the attic.
I enjoyed being able to pop in any disc from 3 different gens and play.
Fast forward to today, I think its still convenient in any form for people that are interested in playing an old game every now and then.
For me though...it isn't a HUGE deal since I have all of my old systems and games set up in a separate room for when I'm feeling nostalgic.
Is BC a console seller. I don't believe so.
But I can say for me it has been a game seller.
For example, I picked up the recent Doom game on XB1 instead of PS4 because of BC.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
I thought a big part of why people wanted BC was to play older games they already own

but because of that, the time we really needed BC was at the start of the generation. at this point a lot of people have probably already got rid of their old shyt

it does look like they're planning on getting this right going forward though

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So no one else is supposed to like games they always liked because you don't like them anymore? :heh:
:what:

What does this have to do with anything?

I said why are people acting like BC is a big deal suddenly?? I'm sure if BC was standard on PS4 people wouldn't be going on about how a specific game sold like crazy for a few hours due to demand.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
:what:

What does this have to do with anything?

I said why are people acting like BC is a big deal suddenly?? I'm sure if BC was standard on PS4 people wouldn't be going on about how a specific game sold like crazy for a few hours due to demand.
Because being able to do something they told you that you couldnt for something you already own is worth mentioning to people. How are you confused by this? :dahell:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Backwards compatibility on the PS3 was very convenient for me. Until my OG PS3 finally crapped out on me, I had my old PS2 and PS1 boxed up in the attic.
I enjoyed being able to pop in any disc from 3 different gens and play.
Fast forward to today, I think its still convenient in any form for people that are interested in playing an old game every now and then.
For me though...it isn't a HUGE deal since I have all of my old systems and games set up in a separate room for when I'm feeling nostalgic.
Is BC a console seller. I don't believe so.
But I can say for me it has been a game seller.
For example, I picked up the recent Doom game on XB1 instead of PS4 because of BC.
It's something that I don't mind if it's there but truthfully for me, when I had a PS3 I probably inserted a PS2/PS1 disc in my PS3 maybe 3-4 times in my entire time owning it.

I personally think that the people who are vocal about BC and going "yeah nobody cares right? lol" are only doing so because
  1. Xbox has BC and PS4 doesn't. Ignoring that PS4 doesn't because it can't emulate the Cell which was already an issue last gen.
  2. Since Xbox is clearly in 2nd place overall, it's a talking point against the "overhyped" PS4
  3. Justification for picking Xbox One since they can use the "I can play old games at least".

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because being able to do something they told you that you couldnt for something you already own is worth mentioning to people. How are you confused by this? :dahell:
:snoop:

I'm asking you what does THIS:

So no one else is supposed to like games they always liked because you don't like them anymore? :heh:
have to do with the thread?

Did you read the OP?
I didn't say anything about not supposed to like older games they had last gen. Your response seemed to just respond directly to the thread title and not the contents itself. I didn't say anything about not liking things anymore.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
:snoop:

I'm asking you what does THIS:

have to do with the thread?

Did you read the OP?
I didn't say anything about not supposed to like older games they had last gen. Your response seemed to just respond directly to the thread title and not the contents itself. I didn't say anything about not liking things anymore.
Because you said this...

Hell, I don't own a single PS2 game on PS4 even though they're superior ports(higher resolution/framerate, trophy support, remote play support etc.) Almost every game I wanted to play I've played already.

It's something that I don't mind if it's there but truthfully for me, when I had a PS3 I probably inserted a PS2/PS1 disc in my PS3 maybe 3-4 times in my entire time owning it.
You said you don't understand when it seems that the tone your opinion about it and questioning of it comes from you not seeing the value because there were no titles that you liked enough to warrant replay value. Which is why I said just because you didnt like games enough to replay doesnt mean everyone else doesnt.

If you are saying I read to much into your tone from your post and title, cool. No harm no foul. As far as whatever narrative you are claiming stanboys are using about BC, I cant say that isnt happening because I dont pay attention like that...but thats what stans do I suppose. :yeshrug:

Tenchi Ryu

Ashtray B!tch
Daps
Reppin
Chicago - SouthSide - Wild 100s
Always been important, this is how Microsoft gets back some of those dedicated 360 fans they lost to PS4. That's who they targeting with this.

And as someone who still runs the SNES from time to time, and plays dreamcast damn near daily, BC is real important to me. Especially since Xbox BC adds the features we've gotten use to like DVR and twitch streaming.

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'd just go with the BC game. Not a graphics whore so I couldn't justify going for the remaster when it's easily going to be 30 dollars more expensive at the least. It's just nice to see the option honestly. If Sony did this for the neo I might actually give a fukk about it.