Why is it so hard to stick to a low carb diet?

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Low carb diets are very rarely the answer to whatever problem people seem to be having (simply not sustainable, your body is animalistic).
Its 2016 and ppl still on this "low carb diet" nonsense
:francis:

What's up with nikkas who waltz into threads, especially health/gym/diet threads, and offer up nothing but low-level side comments and criticism? This ain't TLR, take that passive aggressive nonsense out of here. If you have an actual argument as to why OP should look into something else, present it, otherwise, stay the fukk out.

You are not helping.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Do you guys have any tips?

Hope this helps. It helped me tremendously. Eating like this does fukking work. At one point I was literally setting outlandish ass weekly weight loss goals and meeting them each and every time (unless I fukked up).

I don't believe low-carb is anymore difficult to stick to than any other diet. You basically have a transition period (anywhere from 5-21 days depending on your body and tolerance) that requires extreme diligence, then you're maintaining, tracking progress, and making adjustments from time to time (depending on goals and how aggressive you are).

Low-carb is the easiest for me to stick to, so here are my tips:

1. Fully Buy Into It
This is probably why low-carb is easiest for me. I know I'm pretty much eating eggs, fish, chicken, steak and so on, but more importantly I know I'm eating under such and such amount of carbs (lets say < 30). No matter what I consume, as long as I'm under my allotted carbs (and in a caloric deficit), I feel solid. It's more difficult to snack and cheat because most of those meals contain heavy carbs. No reason for me to grab a cookie, piece of candy, or slice of cake because my carb count would get destroyed, there is simply no place for the extras.

2. Fully Plan It
Low-Carb probably requires the most planning. I cook four days ahead and know exactly what I'm eating. I have high-fat/low-carb foods for when I feel hungry (beef sticks, kielbasa). I have my supplement game planned. I keep a schedule/routine and stick to it like a motherfukker. Really treat myself like a D1 athlete, which is near the level of dedication needed to build a good body and stick to an eating plan long-term. It's especially useful during the early phases though.

3. Seriously, Pretend Like You're a D1 Athlete
Or like you're Mike Tyson; conquering man and having lunch with the gods. Be megalomaniacal about it. You're doing something that very few people have the fortitude and discipline to attempt, much less follow through with. Treat it like you're pursuing greatness because you are. I find it's easier to discipline myself when I view it that way. Just me though (and every other successful person).

4. Be Gay (or be like Arnold)
Have pictures of cut nikkas on your laptop, phone, walls, wallet, car, whatever. Follow a bunch of cut nikkas on instagram/twitter. It's not really to compare against yourself, but to show you what is possible. This has helped me a lot. I'll be thinking of making an impulsive decision and see pictures+comments on instagram and immediately get back into the groove. It's incredibly helpful for low-carb because a lot of these dudes don't consume many carbs when they lean out, so you see what that low-carb diet and that gym time can do for you.

If you want to have the male model body type, this applies x10.

5. Really Internalize How Effective This Joint Is

When you stick to it, you'll drop the fat. There is really no guess work, no tweaking macros every week, no weighing food all day. Find some foods that work for you, find that carb allotment and stick to it and reap the benefits brehs. Models, athletes, and bodybuilders been cutting like this for decades.

6. Your Body Will Adjust Quickly, When it Does...:blessed:
Dude, look. The hard part is seriously the first week, maybe two. First couple days I had to piss a lot and had a headache, felt sluggish and depleted. After the first week I felt better. After 10 days or so, I stopped having cravings, stopped being hungry, stopped wanting to eat carbs.

Just trust, get through the first couple weeks my dude.

7. Supplements
Probably some debate here, but I definitely use the following to help out.

Barlean's Greens (more vitamins and minerals than a grip of vegetables)
Fat Burner/Appetite Suppressor - This one may be necessary in the early stages. If you have access to a stimulant (adderall), even better. Stuff like Yohimbine HCL, E/C/A stacks, or L-Carnitine help (not in combination).
BCAA/Glutamine - For helping target fat and for maintaining muscle mass
Whey Protein - Completely optional, but comes in handy if you don't want to prepare 5 or 6 meals a day. :yeshrug:

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
What's up with nikkas who waltz into threads, especially health/gym/diet threads, and offer up nothing but low-level side comments and criticism? This ain't TLR, take that passive aggressive nonsense out of here. If you have an actual argument as to why OP should look into something else, present it, otherwise, stay the fukk out.

You are not helping.
I think it's just more of a frustration with fad diets. "Low carb" being one of the latest along with paleo. Most respected nutrionist work that I've read all say low carb is no better than a well balanced diet with minimally processed food. Carbs have been demonized and singled out when it's really not the issue. Although I have read that some people are more sensitive to the effects of insulin than others.

So the thought process behind low carb is because insulin is bad? But doesn't protein also cause insulin to surge?

Why would you go low carb and not just hop on a ketogenic diet and at least run on ketones?

Also if you're trying to bulk wouldn't low carb be bad cause you'd be too tired to really push yourself? I mean the benefits of low carb would be so small that unless your a professional athlete or competing it's not worth it. Wouldn't a balance of fat, protein, and carbs be the best long term for your average guy?

semtex

:)
Daps
4. Be Gay (or be like Arnold)
Have pictures of cut nikkas on your laptop, phone, walls, wallet, car, whatever. Follow a bunch of cut nikkas on instagram/twitter. It's not really to compare against yourself, but to show you what is possible. This has helped me a lot. I'll be thinking of making an impulsive decision and see pictures+comments on instagram and immediately get back into the groove. It's incredibly helpful for low-carb because a lot of these dudes don't consume many carbs when they lean out, so you see what that low-carb diet and that gym time can do for you.
:laff: :laff: :laff: :laff: :laff:

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
I think it's just more of a frustration with fad diets. "Low carb" being one of the latest along with paleo. Most respected nutrionist work that I've read all say low carb is no better than a well balanced diet with minimally processed food. Carbs have been demonized and singled out when it's really not the issue. Although I have read that some people are more sensitive to the effects of insulin than others.

So the thought process behind low carb is because insulin is bad? But doesn't protein also cause insulin to surge?

Why would you go low carb and not just hop on a ketogenic diet and at least run on ketones?

Also if you're trying to bulk wouldn't low carb be bad cause you'd be too tired to really push yourself? I mean the benefits of low carb would be so small that unless your a professional athlete or competing it's not worth it. Wouldn't a balance of fat, protein, and carbs be the best long term for your average guy?

So I'm always advocating for "keto" (less than 30g/day), so I would need you to be more specific about "low-carb." What do you consider "low-carb?"

Protein is only an issue if you're consuming much more than your body needs. Generally this will not be an issue for cats who are at a caloric deficit.

I can't speak to bulking "low-carb" because I've never done it or heard of anyone else doing it. A person needs carbs in order to build muscle or perform as an athlete.

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps

You are not helping.

Low carbs works no doubt, Ive done it before but you need a lot of motivation to get through it

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London

You are not helping.

Posted plenty of diet advice in here, a lot recently in the last few months. There is a search button.

Not a fan of fad diets etc, I keep it simple.

Burn more than you consume
Hit your macros
Be consistent and you WILL lose fat

IIFYM + IF is the best for achieving this and more importantly sticking to it. Its what I do

To increase fat loss of course include cardio or increase volume of training. But you can lose fat if your below your maintenance calories - that is fact.

Its a lifestyle change, not some fad diet of a "low carb diet" etc. Your more than likely not going to stick to that type of diet, thus not yielding sustained results. You will be craving those potatoes and rice big time, why do this to yourself. Never understood why people would even entertain this TBH.

No need for supplements IMO, I haven't drank a protein shake in ages just no need for it, get plenty of protein from food - that will keep you full and satisfied. Also if your cutting, you dont wanna be wasting calories on liquids. They are nothing magical and have nothing you cannot get from food, companies will try and make you believe that they do - but they dont.

Don't for scams such as "fat burners" etc, there is no such thing. Just think about it for a bit, if there was a pill that could burn fat do you think companies would be selling for a few dollars. There would be no fat people on the earth if such a pill existed

Meal suppressors, again don't bother. When I am fasting I am drinking water or black coffee, black coffee prob the best meal suppressor you can get. Learn how to spread your foods and eat satisfying food, if your meals are satisfying you then you will be fine will not need to search for the almighty great magical pill to blunt your hunger.

Anyway thats my 2 cents

Last edited:
Daps
soups & chobani yogurt are a lifesaver for me. mix up fish & chicken w/ a variety of soups & it feels like you're eating something different everyday. besides that i basically eat all paleo foods

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

semtex

:)
Daps
Posted plenty of diet advice in here, a lot recently in the last few months. There is a search button.

Hit your macros
Been consistent and you WILL lose fat

IIFYM + IF is the best for achieving this and more importantly sticking to it.

Its a lifestyle change, not some fad diet of a "low carb diet" etc. Your more than likely not going to stick to that type of diet, thus not yielding sustained results.
all low carb did for me was make me a lighter and flabbier version of my former self. Gained no definition whatsoever. My carbs may have been too low though. Only got trace amounts from nuts and such.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys

Hit your macros
Be consistent and you WILL lose fat

IIFYM + IF is the best for achieving this and more importantly sticking to it. Its what I do

To increase fat loss of course include cardio or increase volume of training. But you can lose fat if your below your maintenance calories - that is fact.

Its a lifestyle change, not some fad diet of a "low carb diet" etc. Your more than likely not going to stick to that type of diet, thus not yielding sustained results. You will be craving those potatoes and rice big time, why do this to yourself. Never understood why people would even entertain this TBH.

No need for supplements IMO, I haven't drank a protein shake in ages just no need for it, get plenty of protein from food - that will keep you full and satisfied. Also if your cutting, you dont wanna be wasting calories on liquids. They are nothing magical and have nothing you cannot get from food, companies will try and make you believe that they do - but they dont.

Don't for scams such as "fat burners" etc, there is no such thing. Just think about it for a bit, if there was a pill that could burn fat do you think companies would be selling for a few dollars. There would be no fat people on the earth if such a pill existed

Meal suppressors, again don't bother. When I am fasting I am drinking water or black coffee, black coffee prob the best meal suppressor you can get. Learn how to spread your foods and eat satisfying food, if your meals are satisfying you then you will be fine will not need to search for the almighty great magical pill to blunt your hunger.

Anyway thats my 2 cents

We're not really at odds. Only difference is you're calling what I do a "fad" and I'm saying that I respect your method if it gives you results. Cats always get on here talking about "the way" to do things. The way, as always, is to find what works for you and stick to it.

A lot of folks respond well to keto, a lot respond well to "IIFYM" and all that other shyt.

nikkas calling "low-carb" a fad diet as if cats are being told to eat two grapefruits and drink diet coke all day. Low-carb/keto has been used by bodybuilders, models, and athletes to cut fat for decades.

As far as supplements, diet and workout always come first, but to act like certain supplements don't provide benefits during a cut. :mjlol:

For Example:
If I pop an adderall (or a WakAlert) at 10a, I can go all day without eating a bite of food and never even notice. Black coffee ain't competing with none of that.:blessed:

Dumb nikka said:
Your more than likely not going to stick to that type of diet, thus not yielding sustained results. You will be craving those potatoes and rice big time, why do this to yourself.

Thing about that is, most people don't stick to any type of diet. The other thing about that is, any diet, or "lifestyle change," will lead to cravings, especially during the first few weeks. The point is, any "lifestyle change" requires a fair amount of tradeoff/sacrifice. Just because yours is about limiting food and mine is about eliminating certain food doesn't make the sacrifice any lessor or greater.

You can talk about IIFYM dieting, but if someone continues to exceed their daily caloric intake, they won't see results. Same as a low-carb diet. So it's kind of silly and sanctimonious to act like only certain "diets" lead to cravings.

Pool_Shark

Can’t move with me in this digital space
Daps
So I'm always advocating for "keto" (less than 30g/day), so I would need you to be more specific about "low-carb." What do you consider "low-carb?"

Protein is only an issue if you're consuming much more than your body needs. Generally this will not be an issue for cats who are at a caloric deficit.

I can't speak to bulking "low-carb" because I've never done it or heard of anyone else doing it. A person needs carbs in order to build muscle or perform as an athlete.
I consider low carb just eating enough carbs to not be in ketosis. Mark Sisson and those guys. Paleo bullshyt. I do believe keto is legit but don't see it as superior but I'd go on that before just low carbs.

I brought up the bulk thing cause op never stated if he was bulking or cutting. Was trying to be safe in assuming things. It works for cutting but so do a ton of different diets. It just seems to me unnecessarily restrictive. Instead of forcing myself not to eat pizza why not eat it and balance it out with the rest of my diet. It'd be better long term imo but I guess some people think you have to suffer to see results. I think being consistent is more important.

I'm not gonna lie though part of what upsets me about the whole low carb thing is people thinking they have to do it to lose weight. I used to believe in so many myths and it always held me back for reaching my goals. It wasn't till I did some reading I found out 90% of what's common knowledge is bullshyt

Also didn't know much the protein stuff just quoting Alan aragons book. BTW I'm not trying to hate on a keto diet I'm just saying if you're going to go low carb why not just do keto? I'm actually going to try it for the first time at the end of March.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
I consider low carb just eating enough carbs to not be in ketosis. Mark Sisson and those guys. Paleo bullshyt. I do believe keto is legit but don't see it as superior but I'd go on that before just low carbs.

I brought up the bulk thing cause op never stated if he was bulking or cutting. Was trying to be safe in assuming things. It works for cutting but so do a ton of different diets. It just seems to me unnecessarily restrictive. Instead of forcing myself not to eat pizza why not eat it and balance it out with the rest of my diet. It'd be better long term imo but I guess some people think you have to suffer to see results. I think being consistent is more important.

I'm not gonna lie though part of what upsets me about the whole low carb thing is people thinking they have to do it to lose weight. I used to believe in so many myths and it always held me back for reaching my goals. It wasn't till I did some reading I found out 90% of what's common knowledge is bullshyt

Also didn't know much the protein stuff just quoting Alan aragons book. BTW I'm not trying to hate on a keto diet I'm just saying if you're going to go low carb why not just do keto? I'm actually going to try it for the first time at the end of March.

Fair enough. I probably should clear that up and make known my own assumptions.

When I think low-carb, I automatically think "keto" or basically under 20g of carbs a day. Now that you mention it, most "low-carb" sites and forums tend to claim numbers like 150g or 100g or whatever else, which, I agree is not really a diet that I'm interested in.

So yea, we agree and I'm advocating for keto.

It works for cutting but so do a ton of different diets. It just seems to me unnecessarily restrictive. Instead of forcing myself not to eat pizza why not eat it and balance it out with the rest of my diet. It'd be better long term imo but I guess some people think you have to suffer to see results.

This is where I strongly disagree. Like I said above, any change in dietary lifestyle is going to be "restrictive." Your restrictive is, "eat one slice of pizza instead of four" and mine is, "don't even mess with pizza, there is no reason for it." I don't think there is a "better" solution here, I really think it's about what fits the person.

Some people ain't about weighing out a serving of frosted flakes and counting up individual gummi bears because it fits their macros. A lot of folks, myself included, get to weighing out a serving of cereal and just end up downing two and three bowls. My mind processes, "you can't eat that because it isn't part of your long-term vision" better than "well, I can eat a little bit of that and put the rest back for later, all is good in moderation." I tend to do well using elimination methods.

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
We're not really at odds. Only difference is you're calling what I do a "fad" and I'm saying that I respect your method if it gives you results. Cats always get on here talking about "the way" to do things. The way, as always, is to find what works for you and stick to it.

A lot of folks respond well to keto, a lot respond well to "IIFYM" and all that other shyt.

nikkas calling "low-carb" a fad diet as if cats are being told to eat two grapefruits and drink diet coke all day. Low-carb/keto has been used by bodybuilders, models, and athletes to cut fat for decades.

As far as supplements, diet and workout always come first, but to act like certain supplements don't provide benefits during a cut. :mjlol:

For Example:
If I pop an adderall (or a WakAlert) at 10a, I can go all day without eating a bite of food and never even notice. Black coffee ain't competing with none of that.:blessed:

Thing about that is, most people don't stick to any type of diet. The other thing about that is, any diet, or "lifestyle change," will lead to cravings, especially during the first few weeks. The point is, any "lifestyle change" requires a fair amount of tradeoff/sacrifice. Just because yours is about limiting food and mine is about eliminating certain food doesn't make the sacrifice any lessor or greater.

You can talk about IIFYM dieting, but if someone continues to exceed their daily caloric intake, they won't see results. Same as a low-carb diet. So it's kind of silly and sanctimonious to act like only certain "diets" lead to cravings.

I know we aint at odds lol

Regarding the supplement they are exactly what they say they are, supplements. They can have a place in a thought out diet plan, however are they needed. No. Far from it.

If you are restricting yourself to certain foods, your more than likely to crave for the ones you miss and binge on them. As opposed to including them in a balanced diet, thats my way of thinking and have experienced it myself.

Couldn't think of anything worse than having to live on 50g or less of carbs a day, would feel terrible. "Yeah can I have chicken burger, but hold the bun"
:scusthov:

If you enjoy the "diet" then your more than likely to stick with it, what could be more enjoyable than eating what you like (within reason) whilst losing weight.

Eating Green and Blacks chocolate whilst losing weight
:blessed:

Not living on Chicken and Broccoli
:banderas:

Like we both said end of the day it comes down to creating a deficit in your cals, IF and IIFYM is a method I find very easy to eat satisfying food whilst being under or within my calorie intake. I am not missing out on foods I like or enjoy and I am not exceeding my calorie intake, that is the ultimate goal IMO.

Everyone is diff and have their own thoughts and views, I just like to keep it simple, whilst enjoying my food and not having to suffer just for the sake of a "diet"

If it works for you then, thats cool. Thats all that counts, there is no perfect way.