Why is Havoc of Mobb Deep so overlooked?

mrfortune

All Star
Daps
cuz prodigy is one of the dopest to do it, i mean phife was tight too but qtip is usually who we think about

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Because he's mostly looked at for his GOAT level production work
He may be outshined by Alchemist at this point who took his style and ran with it

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
"Hell on Earth" is a perfect example of what this thread is describing. Prodigy had a nice opening verse, but Havoc outshined him with the second verse. Leave it at that, and people would be talking about Havoc's performance on that track.

But then Prodigy strikes back with one of the best verses of his career. It's not even like Havoc couldn't rap, but Prodigy had more of an obvious presence. :manny:

cuz prodigy is one of the dopest to do it, i mean phife was tight too but qtip is usually who we think about

I think on average, Phife has more memorable lines than Q-Tip does, especially on Midnight Marauders.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
tenor.gif
I lose all my chance of appearing unbiased due to my av, but P really is one of the best rappers ever.

He's not a lyrical/miracle type rapper, but in his prime he was a beast and could murk anyone on any track. Nas has even said '96 (Hell on Earth era) Prodigy was as good as anyone to do it. His work on Infamous, Hell on Earth, Murda Muzik, and HNIC alone is enough to put him in the discussion. He's in my top 25.

He dropped mad gems, and is one of the kings of powerful opening bars. Crazy ability to tell stories and paint pictures. That's such a large part of what being a dope emcee is. It's not all about punchlines and metaphors. P was a true solo artist. He's got a better solo catalogue than a lot of people that are better emcees than he is, and had a great 2nd wind in the latter part of his life, dropping some of his best material.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
only die-hard lifetime mobb deep fanatics care about those releases.

im talking about debuting as solo artists and really blowing up and carving a legacy.
i dont see either of them doing that.
If the bolded is true then it's a shame. If you play P's solo catalogue for anyone that likes hip-hop and even vaguely enjoys Mobb Deep, chances are they'll like it. I've put a lot of friends in real life on to HNIC, Return of the Mac, and Albert Einstein.

Not everyone carves a legacy as a solo artist. It's not in the cards for everyone to be able to do it. And on top of that, it's actually very difficult for members of duos to be able to transition into successful solo careers. Most members of groups and duos struggle with it, and can never generate momentum outside of the group dynamic, or they just end up not having enough to say that can't be said in the dynamics of a group.

Prodigy actually did a better job than many when it comes to making dope solo albums. He was able to carve out a lane of conspiracy theory, anti-Illuminati, pain rap, spiritual awakening, and woke rap on his own because it was more difficult to rap about in the Mobb duo. And he was on that stuff way before some of it got more mainstream. He was almost on some Ab-Soul type stuff. He was also one of the first cats from another group to do full producer collab albums (with Alc and also Sid Roams). he was ahead of his time on that, because everyone does that now.

surv2syn

The Culture
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Havoc is not an elite MC yet he is viewed as a rapper primarily. If he was known only as Mobb's producer he would get more recognition in that regard but will always pale in comparison to elites as an MC. Its just perception. Real ones know. No Hav, no Mobb. He has had great production but what many dont know is he was the primary hook maker for most of the Mobb songs. as @TheDarceKnight said he didnt produce enough outside of his own camp. Lets not forget his production for Noyd too.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Havoc is not an elite MC yet he is viewed as a rapper primarily. If he was known only as Mobb's producer he would get more recognition in that regard but will always pale in comparison to elites as an MC. Its just perception. Real ones know. No Hav, no Mobb. He has had great production but what many dont know is he was the primary hook maker for most of the Mobb songs. as @TheDarceKnight said he didnt produce enough outside of his own camp. Lets not forget his production for Noyd too.
Not only was he a great hook maker for Mobb Deep but in general he's a really dope hook guy. He's done a lot of hooks outside of Mobb Deep (he just did one one Conway's new album) and it's fire. Hav's a sleeper hook man in the game.

It also doesn't help that most Mobb heads think Silent Partner is likely Hav's best work as an emcee, and Hav didn't produce any of that album. I really think he can get more props if he does more of these collab albums. He has one coming up with Flee Lord and another with Method Man. if Meth delivers like he'd been doing on these recent guest verses he's been doing...I think it could really shift the perception of Havoc among the regular audience. Because Meth can reel in more casual listeners and get more ears on the project.

Asicz

Daps
On this forum Alchemist as producer is held in higher regard than Havoc.

Alchemist has been more prolific in sheer number of produced songs in the past decade and prominence of placements than Havoc unavoidable fact

Asicz

Daps
:mjlol:

Alc doesn't have a Infamous or Hell on Earth level project to his name :yeshrug:
You dumb bytch I said the forum holds him in higher regard not me.

I know what they produced

ignored!

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I liked The Kush album. Hav always been my fav out of the group his snares sound like gunshots just a dope producer/mc