"Why I helped strike down Harvard affirmative action in the Supreme Court"

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps

Calvin Yang, 21, joined the advocacy group Students for Fair Admissions in suing Harvard, alleging that the school’s race-conscious admissions practices systemically disadvantage Asian applicants. (The group also filed a complaint against the University of North Carolina.) After the US Supreme Court found in the group’s favor Thursday, Yang tells Rikki Schlott why the fight was worth it.
I had a 3.9 GPA, a 1550 SAT score, two varsity sports, my own political policy startup and a spot on Canada’s 30 Under 30 list when I applied to Harvard.
It was my dream school. And, when I was rejected, I couldn’t help but wonder whether my skin color was the reason why.

That’s why I joined Students for Fair Admissions in their case against Harvard University, seeking to overturn race-conscious admissions practices that I believe disadvantage Asian college applicants like me.

Finally, two years later, we just emerged victorious in the Supreme Court.

Going forward, Asian students are going to be able to focus more on who they are as people rather than trying to appear less Asian for an admissions officer.

I definitely think I would have emphasized different aspects of my application and not played down my race had affirmative action been struck down before I applied to colleges.

I can only speculate, but I think my chances of getting into Harvard would have been higher. It’s definitely possible that race-conscious admissions were what stood between me and my dream school.

And, even if I still didn’t get in, I wouldn’t be left to wonder if it was because I’m Chinese-Canadian.

Based on the Harvard diversity statistics, 39.7 percent of Harvard University’s enrolled student population is white, 13.7 percent of the population is Asian, 9.46 percent of the population is Hispanic or Latino, 6.56 percent of the population is black or African American, 3.94 percent of the population identifies as having more than one race, 0.197 percent of the population is American Indian or Alaska Native, and 0.118 percent of the population is Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islanders.

What a useful tool this dude turned out to be :beli:

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
This will be their graveyard
Legacy admissions about to crush them
And they won’t have any excuses
Yeah they may fukk your sisters and aunts
But white men have an obscene hate for Asian males
They about to see the real face of Stop Asian Hate tyranny
Better get them bootstraps up and don’t lose them wok skills

Tair

Superstar
Daps

And they won't have any recourse because they "helped" get rid of AA.

The definition of pouring jelly on yourself

:dead:

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

King Harlem

Superstar
Daps

Those numbers look bad. And once again, Black people were blamed for something we really had nothing to do with.

Crude

Superstar
Daps
That Asian is going to find out real fast those cacs still aren’t going to admit him into their institution.

This just paves the way for more average cacs whose application would have been looked over to be considered and more legacy cacs that also would have been looked over to be considered now because they no longer have the safeguard of admitting a number certain minorities.

This helps no one but Whites and those want to be White Asians and some Hispanics as well will figure that out soon enough.

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You’re an idiot. White people will tolerate asians just fine.

Stand up like a man and articulate yourself better.

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:mjlol: his parents probably yelled at him and said this wouldn't have happened with a 4.0 gpa so he needed to find an excuse and told them it was because of affirmative action.

The Half-Blood FKA Prince

Avada Kedavbreh!
Daps

Way to play urself Cralence T'ao Masu
full

Hope this muhfukka choke on that life time supply of butter dumplings. :pacspit:

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
So u have an asian canadian arguing against a policy that was instituted as an attempt to fix some of this countries greatest sins against a group of ppl that was brought here against their will to be raped, pillaged and discriminated against for who knows how long. And he was allowed to do it. He shoulda been shipped back to canada in pieces. Disgusting