Why Gamers should wait until 2018 to by a new 4k tv

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I was sticking with my 1080p Bravia I got in 2009 until 2019

3D/CURVED/4K/HDR don't impress me at all

Black Friday 2018 might get me to upgrade early tho....HDMI 2.1 is an upgrade I actually care about along with OLED
I got a 40in Bravia in my bedroom that I got back in 09 too... shyt still works fine, picture is still dope, and it's the only TV that I have turns on when I activate my Chromecast

:ahh:

I have a 55in Plasma in my living room, picture quality is still dope, only thing that I'm monitoring on it is this buzzing noise that it makes while it's on. Not unbearable, but slightly annoying, then I have a 70in Sharp downstairs in my studio/mancave that I don't even turn on anymore

:francis:

I don't even game on tvs anymore, just in my office on a monitor

:yeshrug:

The first one I'd upgrade would be the plasma in my living room, but I'm not in a rush as long as they all work fine... which they do

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Still not worth it. Besides the fact that not even a handful of games are 4k supportive, broadcast on live tv isn't even close to 4k. Game companies are just now making 1080 the standard for both in game and cinematics. Its a gimmick, like the curved tv. Completely useless.
4K is not a gimmick. It's an industry standard resolution. TV doesn't broadcast in 1080p, lots of games don't reach 1080p native on consoles. Were 1080p sets a gimmick too?

We'll get native 4K on consoles with the next console generation. You can already stream in 4K and broadcast TV isn't likely to go to 4K because of the required bandwidth which is why they didn't go to 1080p.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
4K is not a gimmick. It's an industry standard resolution. TV doesn't broadcast in 1080p, lots of games don't reach 1080p native on consoles. Were 1080p sets a gimmick too?

We'll get native 4K on consoles with the next console generation. You can already stream in 4K and broadcast TV isn't likely to go to 4K because of the required bandwidth which is why they didn't go to 1080p.

Winb....we rarely disagree...but on this, you're gonna be wrong...

giphy.gif

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Still not worth it. Besides the fact that not even a handful of games are 4k supportive, broadcast on live tv isn't even close to 4k. Game companies are just now making 1080 the standard for both in game and cinematics. Its a gimmick, like the curved tv. Completely useless.
I wouldn't say gimmick but right now it's still not worth it for the most part.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Winb....we rarely disagree...but on this, you're gonna be wrong...

giphy.gif
It's just a screen resolution. A gimmick is 3D TV. That failed and they quit making them. 4K won't fail because it's the standard for TVs now. If you but a new TV today it's a 4K TV by default. The standard might be somewhat ahead of it's time but that hardly makes it a gimmick. All new tech isn't a gimmick because it's new.

The bad part about 4K is that up until about a year or 2 ago the standards were still being set so there are people now who have 4K TVs and they can't even plug a 4K Blu-Ray player up to them and get a good picture because the HDMI ports don't have HDCP 2.2 on them.

This was something the TV manufacturers rushed into because in the tech world if you don't have a new product you're in trouble.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah this is far from a gimmick, and in two years I might be kicking myself for spending 2,500 on a tv only for it to literally be out of date because of a hardware jump. Part of the reason i didn't spend another grand is because I feel like hdmi 2.1 is really significant and once the newer consoles drop playing on anything else is just not going to be as good.

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
8k doesn't matter. It isn't even practical due to screen sizes, sitting distances, bandwidth requirements, no physical media able to support it now, no console or PC realistically strong enough to power it.

HDMI 2.1 is a tech with real benefits that a console and PCs can use right now.
You know you just pretty much described 4k also, right? Maybe not exactly, but damn near.

Like usual, these companies and their genius marketing has the majority of us looking like fools

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You know you just pretty much described 4k also, right? Maybe not exactly, but damn near.

Like usual, these companies and their genius marketing has the majority of us looking like fools
It's not even close to describing 4K. You can buy a 4K TV now, PCs can play games in 4K at 50+FPS on a 1080ti and 30FPS on a 1070, some game consoles play games in native 4K, you can stream in 4K, you can buy physical 4K media.

4K is like you just have an infant child. 8K is like talking about what your infant child's grandchild will be like. There's basically nothing on the consumer market that really supports 8K and it's such a high resolution that why bother anyway? People sit too close to their too small TVs to see the gain of it. I don't doubt the industry will eventually move in that direction but it's going to be an almost worthless upgrade for most.