Why don't Older Black folks share their past mistakes with the youth?

lib123

All Star
Daps
While there are historical reasons why most Black people can't pass down generational wealth, it's mind blowing that more older Black people don't help the youth (including their children) by sharing the mistakes they made when they were young as a form of generational wisdom. A lot of Black guys and girls in their teens and 20s could avoid negative situations and outcomes if the older people around them were open to sharing the mistakes they made when young. A good example is a lot of dudes blaming young BW for choosing the wrong men based on superficial characteristics (eg height, swag, etc). If the older women admitted they were chasing the same types of men and doing so led to many of their current situations (eg single motherhood, never got married), we would see a lot less of that.

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
While there are historical reasons why most Black people can't pass down generational wealth, it's mind blowing that more older Black people don't help the youth (including their children) by sharing the mistakes they made when they were young as a form of generational wisdom. A lot of Black guys and girls in their teens and 20s could avoid negative situations and outcomes if the older people around them were open to sharing the mistakes they made when young. A good example is a lot of dudes blaming young BW for choosing the wrong men based on superficial characteristics (eg height, swag, etc). If the older women admitted they were chasing the same types of men and doing so led to many of their current situations (eg single motherhood, never got married), we would see a lot less of that.
That’s all I’ve been saying 🤷🏾‍♀️

Turlast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Two One Five
The youth has to be interested in hearing the message from the messenger. Plenty of older experienced people have talked to the youth about taking steps in a better direction than they did. Some will take heed of the advice--others will continue doing what they want. Your environment, as well as your mentality, will play a huge part in how you process that.

lib123

All Star
Daps
The youth has to be interested in hearing the message from the messenger. Plenty of older experienced people have talked to the youth about taking steps in a better direction than they did. Some will take heed of the advice--others will continue doing what they want. Your environment, as well as your mentality, will play a huge part in how you process that.

That's true but a lot of the advice that I've seen is the older people speaking in hypotheticals, not always using themselves as examples. Especially when the parents are speaking to their children.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
They do they just dont listen or the older folks stop after being called lame.

Then the kids grow up and say

Nuh nuh no one ever told me this.
Nuh nuh no one ever taught me about this.

Sit your dumb stupid ass down.

These kids not looking to be mentored. They want to be carried ,given get rich quick shortcuts or cheat codes to plow women and trick men

Panther

Byrdgang
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ByrdGang
I think some of the advice is bad, older does not = wiser

Older black women (and men to a lesser degree) have told the younger women to focus on education and money over getting into long term relationships.

I've heard women my age (family and friends) tell me that was the game they got from the elders :francis:. In a lot of ways people are raising themselves out here.

Last edited:
Daps
That's true but a lot of the advice that I've seen is the older people speaking in hypotheticals, not always using themselves as examples. Especially when the parents are speaking to their children.
I tell my children about my mistakes all the time to try to help them make better decisions. My teenager doesn’t give a damn though, lol. Pisses me off if I’m being honest. This generation has access to so much information they’re bigger know it alls than we were, except they don’t know who to differentiate quality and poor sources so they’re actually worse off.

Assuming this is actually an issue and not just anecdotal, this really needed to start last generation, before this overwhelming tech/social media presence.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
What do you expect, every adult to make a youtube channel explaining their mistakes. Real talk. Many don't teach it because they are incapable. Just because someone is grown doesn't mean they learn how to be objective.

Also, people need to factor the power of messages in today's world. I know people who grown up in good two parent households (their words) and just as sloppy in relationships as someone who grown up in a single parent household with no relationship guidance.

lib123

All Star
Daps
They do they just dont listen or the older folks stop after being called lame.

Then the kids grow up and say

Nuh nuh no one ever told me this.
Nuh nuh no one ever taught me about this.

Sit your dumb stupid ass down.

These kids not looking to be mentored. They want to be carried ,given get rich quick shortcuts or cheat codes to plow women and trick men

Yeah the kids tune it out because a lot of the older people speak in hypotheticals, not using themselves as examples because they're ashamed, embarrassed and/or prideful. For example, I've been in the barbershop where younger guys were talking about juggling women and the OGs told them to be careful because they got trapped in baby mama drama, child support, etc. The young guys were very attentive and receptive of that advice.

A lot of people are embarrassed about what they did in the past.

This.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Yeah the kids tune it out because a lot of the older people speak in hypotheticals, not using themselves as examples because they're ashamed, embarrassed and/or prideful.

This.
If whayever you reccomend involves alot of effort they not trying to hear it. The men are acting like women now looking for the shortcut to success then fall back on a lack of mentorship when the damn blueprint was given to them

Dameon Farrow

Superstar
Daps
Older folks can't come across as condescending while they gove advice. A respectful older person will be listened to 8/10.

Thing is....these kids know people are full of shyt with the 'back in my day this didn't happen' nonsense. The kids are smarter than folks like to give them credit for. Nothing is new under the sun.

A lot of older folks are jealous of the youth and it shows. Resentful, too.