Why Doesn’t Silicon Valley Hire Black Coders?

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps

Prove me wrong?

Google hires from the following five universities
1)Stanford
2)Harvard
3)Carnagie Mellon
4)UCLA
5)MIT

Facebook recruits
Stanford
San Jose State
University Of Washington
Harvard
UCLA

Where am I wrong?

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
i dont agree with the premise and title of the article but its an interesting read

for one i think its false that black coders arent hired, any black person that goes out to cali with a CS degree will get hired

but i think the obstacles noted in the article are true, its that people are being introduced to programing in college when a lot of people are introduced to it at home when they are young

the cultural issues are true, but the only way to fix that is by people making our own companies

i agree with the professor trying to work with google but i dont agree that there needs to be an obsession with them, the obsession with google and facebook by the professor and students is corny and detrimental

Sean312

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Chicago IL
Prove me wrong?

Google hires from the following five universities
1)Stanford
2)Harvard
3)Carnagie Mellon
4)UCLA
5)MIT

Facebook recruits
Stanford
San Jose State
University Of Washington
Harvard
UCLA

Where am I wrong?
im sure its plenty of nikkas who attend those schools. have you seen the statistics of which they hire blacks at not just tech companies, but dam near every major company? and you cant act like they arnt hiring there cousins or friends here and there.

they are playing a dirty game, yet using us and our entertainment to keep their lame business going. facebook and myspace didnt pop until nikkas got on it sharing music and making memes. imo

wheywhey

Pro
Daps
Success doesn't happen in a vacuum. The average public school is just focused on getting students up to grade level. Unless black parents pay for after-school and summer enrichment programs and make sure that their children attend the most elite and rigorous middle schools and high schools in their area, their kids will struggle to catch up.

Michael Seibel, the investor, is half white and married to a white woman. Before going to Yale, he attend East Brunswick High in NJ which was 3 percent black, 20 percent Asian, and 74 percent white. He is not uncomfortable around white people. His father worked in banking or finance. His grandfather had a PhD in psychology and statistics and before he became a professor at Penn State, he obtained a patent while working at IBM. Two of Michael's startups have sold for $60M and $970M respectively.

Makinde Adeagbo was until recently a software engineer at Pintrest. Before going to MIT he attended a magnet high school that is the number one school in Kentucky. His father, PhD in physiology and biophysics, was a professor at the University of Louisville. Makinde was born in Nigeria.

Maxine Williams, Facebook's director of diversity, is from Trinidad where she graduated from Catholic school at 16. She created her own major in Caribbean Studies at Yale, and is a Rhodes Scholar with a law degree from Oxford. She has several years experience as a journalist and talk show host and speaks Spanish and French.

I couldn't find anything on Charles Pratt's childhood, but he does have a degree from Carnegie Mellon in game design and computer science.

Daps
Reppin
Queens/NYC
Success doesn't happen in a vacuum. The average public school is just focused on getting students up to grade level. Unless black parents pay for after-school and summer enrichment programs and make sure that their children attend the most elite and rigorous middle schools and high schools in their area, their kids will struggle to catch up.

90% of American parents could care less about this dynamic. And that's why this country is failing and our people in particular.

We have kids recklessly and don't think it's a competition. If you aren't providing essential or unique goods and services your life is expendable. Period.

Asians understand this more so than other ethnicities/races.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
90% of American parents could care less about this dynamic. And that's why this country is failing and our people in particular.

We have kids recklessly and don't think it's a competition. If you aren't providing essential or unique goods and services your life is expendable. Period.

Asians understand this more so than other ethnicities/races.
Most immigrant groups are high achievers. Most first and second generation african immigrants do well in school, just like Asians. I agree in principle that academic excellence should be paramount but there is definitely a mental weight on black people due to racism. This can manifest in a lack of confidence in the classroom, a lack of initiative in the workplace, a lack of belief in the structure itself to the point where people wonder if it is even worth the effort of pursuing degrees in STEM fields if they won't get hired anyway. As for the OP, if you write elegant code, you will get a job. Instead of worrying about trying to ingratiate ourselves with the good ole nerds in SV, we should be saving and searching for our own capital investments so we can start our own SV. Eventually the whites and asians will turn on each other anyway so why not create our own tech mecca so we are calling the shots and have the power of denial like the kings of SV do right now?

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It really is about elitism when it comes to where these students get their college degrees. It sucks, but it is what it is. :yeshrug:
But I thought they weren't even worried about degrees and such.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
But I thought they weren't even worried about degrees and such.

Of course they are, it depends on the person though.

If you're jailbreaking iPhones and reverse engineering the PS3 as a teenager, Facebook and Google will hire you without the degree (see: George Hotz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

If you were accepted into Harvard, CalTech, Stanford, or MIT and you decided to drop out in order to pursue a startup, you're still looked upon favorably (because you were smart enough to be accepted into those schools in the first place).

Otherwise, education matters. Looking for the best and most driven.

Rick Fox at UNC

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Pretty Boys
Stop making excuses:

- I started building computers (piecing them together, not using kits) in middle school and I don't remember a single black kid being into any of what I was doing back then. No joke, not a single one. Matter fact, what I was doing was considered mad corny and lame.
- Used to watch Triumph of the Nerds (three hour doc about Silicon Valley) and Trillion Dollar Bet (hour long doc about Wall Street) religiously.
- Used to thumb through Fortune magazine every month. Again, corny and more corny.
- Used to order CDs with hacking tools so I could learn the tools and the code. Lame.
- Used to spend hours and hours, days and nights working with and on this stuff.
- Used to spend hours reading about Carmack and Gates, how they code, adopting their work ethic, etc.
- When I got my first job, I went to a Borders and special ordered The Art of Electronics (The Art of Electronics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for fun. Corny.
- Junior College (during high-school): Only black male in Calculus.
- State School (one of the largest in the country): The only black person in advanced math classes, the only black male in engineering classes (this includes even the intro classes).
- Anytime I met other black males who were about that engineering/computer science, they were from out the country (African or British by way of Africa).
- I go to Blackhat/Defcon events, there are more black males than before but still very few. I'm pretty sure I run across more black woman than men.

:yeshrug:

Cats working in Silicon Valley or Silicon Alley (New York) or in big tech markets like Austin tend to have a background similar to mine. They were interest in tech before it became a thing to be interested in and they developed their skills by putting in hours and hours of effort. They didn't do it for money or to feel wanted (probably the exact fukking opposite), they did it because they were drawn to it and became good at it.

So now that the money is flowing toward tech all these folks want in and have the nerve to feel entitled. Women with business and liberal arts degrees feel like they deserve a position in tech without realizing who they're competing against. shyt is disgusting.

I'm sick of hearing about women and black folks not feeling "accepted" or "wanted" or whatever, as if the folks who work in tech grew up feeling wanted by their peers. :mjlol:

Do you guys actually believe that all these folks who are damn near at the end of some fukked up mental spectrum are the ideal candidates for employment at all of these companies? :scust:

There are so many weird fukks in Tech and Finance man and none of them felt "wanted" or "included" growing up; that's why they're so good at what they do.

We got nikkas in here talking about dudes can't be masculine? Tell that to cats like Stephen Watt (seven foot bodybuilding hacker).

Man, y'all are ridiculous.

Triumph of the Nerds:

Trillion Dollar Bet:

Carmack:
john_Carmack_working.jpg

Stephen Watt (but wai wait, he's too masculine):
stephen-watt.jpg