Why does 4k TV make every thing look like an after school special

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
If you think I truly care if anyone disagrees with me on Dunkirk , then that's on you. I don't take anything too seriously. It's all fun and games and i'll put a smiley. What I wont stand for is the ignorance on display in this thread.

We got one breh who says 4k is only for gaming, doesn't even have the one monitor out that does true HDR 10 and has opinions on it. ( i seenow why he's in the hall of shame)

We got another breh who is basing his entire opinion of a home video format on HDR on Dolby CINEMA. If you don't see how asinine that is, then you're just as much of an imbecile as they are.

Dolby Cinema is the pinnacle of HDR viewing. It uses Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Why should I not use this to form my opinion on the format??

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Dolby Cinema is the pinnacle of HDR viewing. It uses Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Why should I not use this to form my opinion on the format??

For one you're comparing a 50 foot screen to a __ inch screen in the home.
Secondly most major studios don't even feel comfortable enough to include dolby vision on discs because it's currently losing to HDR 10. (there are literally less than a dozen discs that include DV so far)

What's next breh you're gonna compare IMAX viewings to your shifting aspect ratio blu-ray? :skip:

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
For one you're comparing a 50 foot screen to a __ inch screen in the home.
Secondly most major studios don't even feel comfortable enough to include dolby vision on discs because it's currently losing to HDR 10. (there are literally less than a dozen discs that include DV so far)

What's next breh you're gonna compare IMAX viewings to your shifting aspect ratio blu-ray? :skip:
Wait, are you telling me that watching movies on a bigger screen invalidates my argument???? Would the improvements not be much clearer on a bigger screen that's actually calibrated for its content, than on a tiny screen that has no reference for color accuracy?????

Dolby Vision is the superior HDR version, so I don't get your point even denouncing it.

Last edited:

Mensch Fontana

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHHICEY
Off top the 4x in resolution may not be as noticeable as the jump from DVD to blue that is correct, but HDR is the difference maker.

Even watching Netflix shows with HDR enabled you can see the difference. HDR specifications weren't/aren't finalized and there's been many upgrades to firmware etc but I can definitely see the difference between 4K and 1080. 720 is damn near unwatchable now.

The biggest difference when I first got my tv was watching a show on Netflix in 4k and then switching to my 1080 tv and continuing to watch it and it looked pretty ugly. Your eyes have to re adjust to watch 1080.
I feel for brehs that bought 4k TV's pre 2016 since they don't have true or any HDR and are missing the whole point.

If you've seen say The Grand Tour on Netflix with true HDR then you wouldn't be calling it a "marginal upgrade"

Here's a shytty example since they cannot properly capture 4k images yet from discs so people take pics with their phone and we're viewing these on 1080 monitors

See how the sky details pop as well as the colors.

Sans_titre_2.jpg
The lights on the firetruck on the left are wrong, Photoshop :camby:

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Wait, are you telling me that watching movies on a bigger screen invalidates my argument???? Would the improvements not be much clearer on a bigger screen that's actually calibrated for its content, than on a tiny screen that has no reference for color accuracy?????

Dolby Vision is the superior HDR version, so I don't get your point even denouncing it.
I'm not denouncing DV. My point is that while yes in theory what you're saying is correct, that you can see things better on a larger screen and while DV may be better, you also cannot do a real world comparison like in the home with HDR vs SDR content.

I just watched Blade Runner UHD on disc and it blew me away. I put on the bluray after to peep the theatrical and it looked like absolute dog shyt. Everything was so washed out and the way the grain was displayed on a 1080 disc made it look like a VHS in comparison to the 4k I had just watched. So not only the resolution, but the HDR was a huge improvement. Dat Grain structure

Watch it and get back to me.

Last edited:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes, but catalog titles get more rare with each new format introduction. Only the most popular films will actually get re-scanned and remastered.

As far as 4K DIs:

1) Animated moves are too expensive to render in 4K
2) Most movies filmed digitally are already filmed in 4K+, but due to costs, get downrezzed to 2K. It's still not worth the labor for studios as niche as 4K is. GITS was filmed in 6K, but still got a 2K DI.
A number of old classics were already re-scanned and remastered. The ones that were released on blu ray were downscaled for 1080p screens like Lawrence of Arabia which was restored to 8k, iirc, but was downscaled to 1080 for blu. 65mm films can have a max resolution of 12k, if I'm not mistaken.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Yep, to me the top one looks better. I'd rather have the better looking colors on the car (top picture) than the better looking sky (bottom pic)
Blade Runner Blu-ray

15CKdgS.jpg

Blade Runner UHD/4K
L8BuQHi.jpg

This format was made for movies shot on film. Just wait until the epics from the late 50s and early 60s shot on 65 and 70 mm come out :whew: the increase in detail and grain structure is incredible, y'all can shove that marginal talk

Last edited:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
It was a 55'' samsung, I returned that shyt today, I can't remember the model number

I just order that LG monitor with HDR for about a G, I only need 4k for gaming, movies look like shyt running in 4k, even at best buy when the demos run

shyt look like I'm filming on DSLR in person watching that shyt

It's been mentioned multiple times in this thread already, but did you go into "Expert Settings" on the Samsung and turn off "Auto Motion Plus"? THAT is the setting that makes everything look like a soap opera shot on video tape.

Motion interpolation - Wikipedia

It's not the resolution that's a problem, its the artificial increase in frame rate.

I JUST got a 4K Samsung TV today, and I noticed that sometimes Auto Motion Plus turns back on again after I turn it off. But it looks much better when its off.

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
Sounds like you bought a tv, have no idea how to adjust settings and you have little to no technical knowledge about film or tvs and are blaming your own short comings on the technology.

I remember I had a job installing satellites and other stuff for a while. We had a contract to upgrade all the wal mart electronics sections.

They had 1080P tvs hooked up to coaxial wondering why the quality looked like shyt and tvs weren't selling :mjlol:

You can buy any tech you want but if you don't know how to use it or don't care to actually do some research then it's pointless.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sounds like you bought a tv, have no idea how to adjust settings and you have little to no technical knowledge about film or tvs and are blaming your own short comings on the technology.

I remember I had a job installing satellites and other stuff for a while. We had a contract to upgrade all the wal mart electronics sections.

They had 1080P tvs hooked up to coaxial wondering why the quality looked like shyt and tvs weren't selling :mjlol:

You can buy any tech you want but if you don't know how to use it or don't care to actually do some research then it's pointless.

jesus christ can't you read

it has nothing do with the settings, nothing to do with the TV, 4k movie look like shyt, you could have 5,000 oled tv, the movies look like shyt, it doesn't look like cinema

you have no knowledge of film if you don't know what I'm talking about

lmao at needing knowledge to watch a TV, if you can't plug in a TV and turn it on, and works it's not a great product

i'm not just talking about the soap opera effect, that come from 1080p upscaling

i'm talking about strictly 4k content for movies, it looks like shyt

4k only looks good for gaming, it makes movies look like trash

Dominic Brehetto

Rest In Piss To Your Cousin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Family
jesus christ can't you read

it has nothing do with the settings, nothing to do with the TV, 4k movie look like shyt, you could have 5,000 oled tv, the movies look like shyt, it doesn't look like cinema

you have no knowledge of film if you don't know what I'm talking about

lmao at needing knowledge to watch a TV, if you can't plug in a TV and turn it on, and works it's not a great product

i'm not just talking about the soap opera effect, that come from 1080p upscaling

i'm talking about strictly 4k content for movies, it looks like shyt

4k only looks good for gaming, it makes movies look like trash
Yeah you're just flat-out wrong and an idiot.

I see why you've got a hall of shame tag.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yeah you're just flat-out wrong and an idiot.

I see why you've got a hall of shame tag.

Flat out wrong about what

4k doesn't look good with cinema, even actors hate it

I got the tag because cac mods, you fakkit c00n

you couldn't even do a proper reply

You setting here talking about settings, when I'm talking about how 4k movies actually look, they look is nasty, it doesn't have the texture movies are suppose to have
You don't know what I'm talking about, because one you have zero test, two you don't know anything about film
Lastly, you are butt hurt, so you resort to Ad hominem attacks like fox news analyst