Why does 4k TV make every thing look like an after school special

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
90% of movies were mastered in 2K :mjlol:
Wrong.

90% of movies in the digital era were, say early 00s-present.

However, titles from 99 and backwards were all shot on film. And those will benefit most from 4K and HDR.

Why do you think all the catalog titles releasing in the next few months are older titles shot on film? (E.T., Close encounters of the Third Kind, Blade Runner, Terminator 2. plus shyt like Unforgiven and Crouching Tiger released recently too). They are beautiful in 4k. You don't think this format was made for titles like 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, and Ben-hur? :smugford:

Plus even some titles that have a 2k DI are amongst the best looking on the format (John wick 2, the shallows).

I expect 4K DI's to be more common now, even though they're more expensive. Recent comic book films were shot at 6-8k(doc strange, guardians and in docs case downrezzed to 2k ), but now Disney is in the 4k game, so I expect things to change and have less upscales going forward

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Props for knowing your stuff.

If I was interested in upgrading from my current 1080p 47 inch Samsung Full HD to a 4K TV, with a setup with a PS4 and an Xbox One and with no real plans to buy a new console (it feels like rip-offs that they launch the PS4 and Xbox One and then launch.. newer versions of it.) and I want to go 65 inch max either with Sony or Samsung - what would you suggest? And I read that Sharp announced a 8K TV, does it really make sense to get on the 4K hype isn't it better to wait for 8K to drop and watch the 4K price go down. Oh and when you watch a normal DVD on a 4K TV, does it look good/better?

Thanks breh
You can't go wrong with either Sony or Samsung, just make sure they're flagship models. Even if they are last year's models. I know Samsung is coming out with their Qleds to rival Oleds from LG and Sony. It really depends on how much you want to spend. I'd recommend looking at the home theater forums and sites like www.rtings.com to make sure it's true HDR and get ideas.

EDIT: I got rid of all my DVDs except fade to black and that looks pretty decent upscaled.

Last edited:

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Wrong.

90% of movies in the digital era were, say early 00s-present.

However, titles from 99 and backwards were all shot on film. And those will benefit most from 4K and HDR.

Why do you think all the catalog titles releasing in the next few months are older titles shot on film? (E.T., Close encounters of the Third Kind, Blade Runner, Terminator 2. plus shyt like Unforgiven and Crouching Tiger released recently too). They are beautiful in 4k. You don't think this format was made for titles like 2001, Lawrence of Arabia, and Ben-hur? :smugford:

Plus even some titles that have a 2k DI are amongst the best looking on the format (John wick 2, the shallows).

I expect 4K DI's to be more common now, even though they're more expensive. Recent comic book films were shot at 6-8k(doc strange, guardians and in docs case downrezzed to 2k ), but now Disney is in the 4k game, so I expect things to change and have less upscales going forward
Yes, but catalog titles get more rare with each new format introduction. Only the most popular films will actually get re-scanned and remastered.

As far as 4K DIs:

1) Animated moves are too expensive to render in 4K
2) Most movies filmed digitally are already filmed in 4K+, but due to costs, get downrezzed to 2K. It's still not worth the labor for studios as niche as 4K is. GITS was filmed in 6K, but still got a 2K DI.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. It's auto motion/soap opera effect that every new TV from the past 5 years + has on by default, whether 1080 or 4k

2. if you think 4K is overrated than you must have a low end budget friendly 4K set that only does SDR.

A 4k tv with true HDR on is next level. It makes 1080 look fugly. HDR is where the difference truly shines rather than just the increase in resolution. Everything POPS with , you see green trees or grass and just go :noah:

3 . even 4k streaming on Netflix(make sure you upgraded to the 4k plan), amazon looks way better than 1080. If you can't turn off auto motion I highly doubt you have a 4k player.

The catalog titles look :noah: with the grain and newer stuff that is even upscaled from a 2k DI like john wick 2 is :lawd:

lmao none of these TV can even really do HDR, you can probably get the same look by adjusting the settings on a regular 4ktv

It's called a scam, they slap a label on some shyt to sell some tvs

and yes, I can tell the resolution is sharper and all that
it DOES NOT MEAN IT LOOKS BETER

Movies look like shyt in 4k, only gaming benefits from it

Full HD looks better, most TVS weren't full 1080p to begin with, so thats the probably why they looked like shyt to you

The look of 4k is nasty, its not pleasing to the eye especially for cinema

Rain

đź‘€
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
lmao none of these TV can even really do HDR, you can probably get the same look by adjusting the settings on a regular 4ktv

Full HD looks better, most TVS weren't full 1080p to begin with, so thats the probably why they looked like shyt to you

What 4K TV do you have.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
What 4K TV do you have.

It was a 55'' samsung, I returned that shyt today, I can't remember the model number

I just order that LG monitor with HDR for about a G, I only need 4k for gaming, movies look like shyt running in 4k, even at best buy when the demos run

shyt look like I'm filming on DSLR in person watching that shyt

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Yes, but catalog titles get more rare with each new format introduction. Only the most popular films will actually get re-scanned and remastered.

As far as 4K DIs:

1) Animated moves are too expensive to render in 4K
2) Most movies filmed digitally are already filmed in 4K+, but due to costs, get downrezzed to 2K. It's still not worth the labor for studios as niche as 4K is. GITS was filmed in 6K, but still got a 2K DI.
Only the most popular titles get re-released all the time on blu-ray. We haven't even gotten True lies or The Abyss on the format yet and it's 11 years old.

Catalog titles are hitting 4k in record time. It took 5-6 years for the most popular titles to hit blu-ray. Now most of them are hitting 4k in this past not even year and a half the format has been out. Most of them already had the 4K DI ready due to all the remastered in 4k scans from the past 3 years, they just add a layer of HDR and it's money.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

Speak for your tv. Sounds like you had the $500 model with the stupid shyt your spewing.

Late 2016 models and newer all have true HDR. you sound so ignorant its not even funny.

You really trying to tell me The Revenant looks like shyt? :camby:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Speak for your tv. Sounds like you had the $500 model with the stupid shyt your spewing.

Late 2016 models and newer all have true HDR. you sound so ignorant its not even funny.

You really trying to tell me The Revenant looks like shyt? :camby:

Just because HDR is on the label doesn't mean it can do TRUE HDR

just like all the 1080p TVs weren't real 1080p

you're just another idiot easily sold by marketing devices and you've convinced yourself these things to justify your purpose

also HDR doesn't look good on everything turned on, you have to constantly decided and tweak the settings

also the TV's color gamut plays into factor, etc

simply having an HDR label doesn't means hit, just like 90 percent of these 4k TVs aren't even ]4k

I've seen movies on 8,000 tv, guess what, it looked like shyt in 4k, it doesn't look like a movie, it completely ruins the cinematography

You're so concerned with resolution and pixels you have a severe lack of taste

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Just because HDR is on the label doesn't mean it can do TRUE HDR

just like all the 1080p TVs weren't real 1080p

you're just another idiot easily sold by marketing devices and you've convinced yourself these things to justify your purpose

also HDR doesn't look good on everything turned on, you have to constantly decided and tweak the settings

also the TV's color gamut plays into factor, etc

simply having an HDR label doesn't means hit, just like 90 percent of these 4k TVs aren't even ]4k

I've seen movies on 8,000 tv, guess what, it looked like shyt in 4k, it doesn't look like a movie, it completely ruins the cinematography

You're so concerned with resolution and pixels you have a severe lack of taste
Well those of us that are informed consumers like I am know we have a flagship premium tv that can.

This isn't 2014/2015 any longer. If you're spending black Friday prices yea you're getting a butt ass model, but those with the proper HDR sets can see the difference.

I also highly doubt you watched 8000 movies on your 4k tv. The tv you don't even know the model # of :dead:

and I am not concerned with resolution, HDR has nothing to do with resolution and as I said it makes the biggest difference than just 4 times the pixels.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well those of us that are informed consumers like I am know we have a flagship premium tv that can.

This isn't 2014/2015 any longer. If you're spending black Friday prices yea you're getting a butt ass model, but those with the proper HDR sets can see the difference.

I also highly doubt you watched 8000 movies on your 4k tv. The tv you don't even know the model # of :dead:

and I am not concerned with resolution, HDR has nothing to do with resolution and as I said it makes the biggest difference than just 4 times the pixels.

Once again, it's not about seeing a difference

Once again, you're just a moron caught up and shyt that doesn't matter

You can clearly see the difference, and 4k movies look like utter shyt, you have to be brain dead to sit there and watch a movie like that it looks horrible

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Once again, it's not about seeing a difference

Once again, you're just a moron caught up and shyt that doesn't matter

You can clearly see the difference, and 4k movies look like utter shyt, you have to be brain dead to sit there and watch a movie like that it looks horrible
I'm the idiot, yet you say 4k is only for gaming, yet there's not even HDR monitors out that fully support HDR10 . so you sound like the other guy that claims he saw HDR, but have yet to truly experience it in the home.

So you can both :camby:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm the idiot, yet you say 4k is only for gaming, yet there's not even HDR monitors out that fully support HDR10 . so you sound like the other guy that claims he saw HDR, but have yet to truly experience it in the home.

So you can both :camby:

i JUST ORDERED THIS OFF LG WEBSITE

I didn't say it was only for gaming, I just said its only worth it for gaming because movies and TV look like shyt in 4k, because they do
It don't matter how much you spend it on, I saw what the last x-men movie looked like on a 8,000 dollar sony, it looked like shyt, the look of it is the problem, not the resolution, not any of that bullshyt you are talking about, it doesn't matter how clear it is, the look of the movie is terrible, it doesn't look like a movie, so it breaks the immersion of what the movie watching experience

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps

i JUST ORDERED THIS OFF LG WEBSITE

I didn't say it was only for gaming, I just said its only worth it for gaming because movies and TV look like shyt in 4k, because they do
It don't matter how much you spend it on, I saw what the last x-men movie looked like on a 8,000 dollar sony, it looked like shyt, the look of it is the problem, not the resolution, not any of that bullshyt you are talking about, it doesn't matter how clear it is, the look of the movie is terrible, it doesn't look like a movie, so it breaks the immersion of what the movie watching experience

So again you said you just ordered it, so that means you don't have it yet, correct? :sas1:
I'm not sure if you're referring to Logan or x-men apocalypse , but those were real 4k, you just don't seem to like the aesthetics/artistic choices of the movie itself. Most of these high budget comic book movies look like shyt. (I'm assuming you're talking about Apoc) Logan looked glorious in 4k though :ahh:

But you also can't make these snap judgments on 4K and or HDR off one viewing. I've had my TV for a year and am now just appreciating some of the differences. When I first saw HDR it looked dark, but there's been countless firmware updates since then and I've calibrated my tv since etc.

Most of the early catalog title reviews say the difference wasn't that big, but I think people brought in their expectations of a huge jump to them and and now a lot of people on forums are coming around on those titles ( ghostbusters and goodfellas) and appreciating the details and refinement of grain that hdr /4k brings to older movies shot on film.