Why does 4k TV make every thing look like an after school special

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
have yet to see a movie that looks better than Full HD

With that said 4K is overrated.
1. It's auto motion/soap opera effect that every new TV from the past 5 years + has on by default, whether 1080 or 4k

2. if you think 4K is overrated than you must have a low end budget friendly 4K set that only does SDR.

A 4k tv with true HDR on is next level. It makes 1080 look fugly. HDR is where the difference truly shines rather than just the increase in resolution. Everything POPS with , you see green trees or grass and just go :noah:

3 . even 4k streaming on Netflix(make sure you upgraded to the 4k plan), amazon looks way better than 1080. If you can't turn off auto motion I highly doubt you have a 4k player.

The catalog titles look :noah: with the grain and newer stuff that is even upscaled from a 2k DI like john wick 2 is :lawd:

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
1. It's auto motion/soap opera effect that every new TV from the past 5 years + has on by default, whether 1080 or 4k

2. if you think 4K is overrated than you must have a low end budget friendly 4K set that only does SDR.

A 4k tv with true HDR on is next level. It makes 1080 look fugly. HDR is where the difference truly shines rather than just the increase in resolution. Everything POPS with , you see green trees or grass and just go :noah:

3 . even 4k streaming on Netflix(make sure you upgraded to the 4k plan), amazon looks way better than 1080. If you can't turn off auto motion I highly doubt you have a 4k player.

The catalog titles look :noah: with the grain and newer stuff that is even upscaled from a 2k DI like john wick 2 is :lawd:
I've seen HDR. It's no where near the jump from DVD to Blu. I'm not upgrading my entire home theater for a marginal upgrade. Enjoy it though.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I've seen HDR. It's no where near the jump from DVD to Blu. I'm not upgrading my entire home theater for a marginal upgrade. Enjoy it though.
Off top the 4x in resolution may not be as noticeable as the jump from DVD to blue that is correct, but HDR is the difference maker.

Even watching Netflix shows with HDR enabled you can see the difference. HDR specifications weren't/aren't finalized and there's been many upgrades to firmware etc but I can definitely see the difference between 4K and 1080. 720 is damn near unwatchable now.

The biggest difference when I first got my tv was watching a show on Netflix in 4k and then switching to my 1080 tv and continuing to watch it and it looked pretty ugly. Your eyes have to re adjust to watch 1080.
I feel for brehs that bought 4k TV's pre 2016 since they don't have true or any HDR and are missing the whole point.

If you've seen say The Grand Tour on Netflix with true HDR then you wouldn't be calling it a "marginal upgrade"

Here's a shytty example since they cannot properly capture 4k images yet from discs so people take pics with their phone and we're viewing these on 1080 monitors

See how the sky details pop as well as the colors.

Sans_titre_2.jpg

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Off top the 4x in resolution may not be as noticeable as the jump from DVD to blue that is correct, but HDR is the difference maker.

Even watching Netflix shows with HDR enabled you can see the difference. HDR specifications weren't/aren't finalized and there's been many upgrades to firmware etc but I can definitely see the difference between 4K and 1080. 720 is damn near unwatchable now.

The biggest difference when I first got my tv was watching a show on Netflix in 4k and then switching to my 1080 tv and continuing to watch it and it looked pretty ugly. Your eyes have to re adjust to watch 1080.
I feel for brehs that bought 4k TV's pre 2016 since they don't have true or any HDR and are missing the whole point.

If you've seen say The Grand Tour on Netflix with true HDR then you wouldn't be calling it a "marginal upgrade"

Here's a shytty example since they cannot properly capture 4k images yet from discs so people take pics with their phone and we're viewing these on 1080 monitors

Sans_titre_2.jpg
Lol, that's the very definition of marginal. It's noticeable, but not worth the upgrade.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Lol, that's the very definition of marginal. It's noticeable, but not worth the upgrade.
As I said you are viewing it on a fukking 1080 monitor through a picture from someone's phone. It's not going to accurately reflect. They don't have a way of screenshotting 4K yet. But go on convincing yourself that it's not worth the upgrade since you supposedly saw HDR somewhere

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
As I said you are viewing it on a fukking 1080 monitor through a picture from someone's phone. It's not going to accurately reflect. They don't have a way of screenshotting 4K yet. But go on convincing yourself that it's not worth the upgrade since you supposedly saw HDR somewhere
I have a 2k monitor. Im at work. I have seen Dolby Cinema which is the Pinnacle of WCG and HDR. Its marginal. Idk why you're catching sheeting l feelings about my opinion. Blu-Ray is niche, 4k blu-Ray will be more niche.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I have a 2k monitor. Im at work. I have seen Dolby Cinema which is the Pinnacle of WCG and HDR. Its marginal. Idk why you're catching sheeting l feelings about my opinion. Blu-Ray is niche, 4k blu-Ray will be more niche.
2k is hardly higher than 1080 , which is still not 4k :heh:

I don't care if it's niche, I'm happy knowing I'm seeing these movies and shows in the highest possible home format available.

Narcos was glorious this past weekend in 4k.

Blade Runner 4k will be delivered to me tomorrow and they say it's demo material (dat hdr)

Terminator 2 4k remaster comes out next month for only $16 :ahh: :ahh:

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
2k is hardly higher than 1080 , which is still not 4k :heh:

I don't care if it's niche, I'm happy knowing I'm seeing these movies and shows in the highest possible home format available.

Narcos was glorious this past weekend in 4k.

Blade Runner 4k will be delivered to me tomorrow and they say it's demo material (dat hdr)

Terminator 2 4k remaster comes out next month for only $16 :ahh: :ahh:
90% of movies were mastered in 2K :mjlol: And even if there is a 4K DI, all CGI is rendered in 2K.

Last edited:

Flywin Lannister

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Lannister Bloodline

Sans_titre_2.jpg
Props for knowing your stuff.

If I was interested in upgrading from my current 1080p 47 inch Samsung Full HD to a 4K TV, with a setup with a PS4 and an Xbox One and with no real plans to buy a new console (it feels like rip-offs that they launch the PS4 and Xbox One and then launch.. newer versions of it.) and I want to go 65 inch max either with Sony or Samsung - what would you suggest? And I read that Sharp announced a 8K TV, does it really make sense to get on the 4K hype isn't it better to wait for 8K to drop and watch the 4K price go down. Oh and when you watch a normal DVD on a 4K TV, does it look good/better?

Thanks breh