Why Do You Think Stylish Action Games Died Out This Gen?

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
gamers that aren't good at action games are usually the ones who stan dark souls/bloodborne

I've beaten every single Ninja Gaiden and all DMCs on SSSrank plus most platinum games too plus old school stylistic action like Bujingai and Godhand.

Bloodborne/DS have amazing combat systems that prioritize efficiency and committing to your choices. Easy to learn but hard to master with various hidden mechanics are examples of great game design.

I like my insta-cancel/jump-canceling/weapon canceling shenanigans as much as anyone but stop trying to shyt on amazingly designed combat mechanics. You probably think games like Furi, Hyper Light Drifter, and the like are simple games too because you don't try to scratch their depth.

bogey_j

new love, same neurosis..
Daps
I've beaten every single Ninja Gaiden and all DMCs on SSSrank plus most platinum games too plus old school stylistic action like Bujingai and Godhand.

Bloodborne/DS have amazing combat systems that prioritize efficiency and committing to your choices. Easy to learn but hard to master with various hidden mechanics are examples of great game design.

I like my insta-cancel/jump-canceling/weapon canceling shenanigans as much as anyone but stop trying to shyt on amazingly designed combat mechanics. You probably think games like Furi, Hyper Light Drifter, and the like are simple games too because you don't try to scratch their depth.

the thing about the souls games is once you've learned all the enemy tells, you've basically mastered the combat system. there's really nothing more to it. its a glorified memorization/trial & error game. the "depth" of dark souls comes with the customization and weapon types, but mechanically its a very shallow series.

whereas compare it to something like ninja gaiden, where learning to parry the enemy tells is just the beginning. it's the bare minimum the game expects you to learn. when I see the souls combat sytle being propped up as "the greatest combat ever" :laugh: its a joke. granted, its usually by gamers that have never played DMC, bayo, NG, etc. so DS/bloodborne is their first legit hack & slash.

now when I see a talented team like team ninja try & copy the dark souls formula its a bit concerning, because they should be beyond that. dark souls style combat is in this weird space where its not over-the-top stylish like dmc, bayo, NG, shinobi but its not realistic either like say...a for honor or bushido blade. its this weird middle-ground where it tries to do heavy, no frills combat that's just kinda...boring as hell imo.

nioh is supposed to be the "deep" version of dark souls but if this video represents the upper limit of what you can do...:patrice:shyt is type wack to me

compare that to a damn near 10 year old game they did...:ld:

Last edited:
Daps
the thing about the souls games is once you've learned all the enemy tells, you've basically mastered the combat system. there's really nothing more to it. its a glorified memorization/trial & error game. the "depth" of dark souls comes with the customization and weapon types, but mechanically its a very shallow series.

whereas compare it to something like ninja gaiden, where learning to parry the enemy tells is just the beginning. it's the bare minimum the game expects you to learn. when I see the souls combat sytle being propped up as "the greatest combat ever" :laugh: its a joke. granted, its usually by gamers that have never played DMC, bayo, NG, etc. so DS/bloodborne is their first legit hack & slash.

now when I see a talented team like team ninja try & copy the dark souls formula its a bit concerning, because they should be beyond that. dark souls style combat is in this weird space where its not over-the-top stylish like dmc, bayo, NG, shinobi but its not realistic either like say...a for honor or bushido blade. its this weird middle-ground where it tries to do heavy, no frills combat that's just kinda...boring as hell imo.

nioh is supposed to be the "deep" version of dark souls but if this video represents the upper limit of what you can do...:patrice:shyt is type wack to me

We've all played those games and we know that out of those you named and Soulsborne, button mashing is much more likely to happen in those other series :francis:

The combat aint even the main reason Soulsborne took over

bogey_j

Daps
We've all played those games and we know that out of those you named and Soulsborne, button mashing is much more likely to happen in those other series :francis:

The combat aint even the main reason Soulsborne took over

try and button mash in ninja gaiden :laugh: see how far that'll get you. ninja gaiden is basically a highly evolved dark souls but with actual mechanical depth and going at about 10x the speed so your reaction game has to be on point. the first two games are punishing as fukk, wayy harder than any soulsborne game

in dmc & bayo, the enemies are more of a canvas for you to unleash your creativity. dmc4:se is the most open & free combat system of any stylish action game but it takes both technical skill & a creative mind to really see it at its full potential. that's where I can see it being niche. a braindead player could probably spam stinger to get through the story. that shyt ain't helping him out in bloody palace though (that's where the true game begins)

and what is the reason soulsborne took over? because I honestly don't understand why it did. dragon's dogma was capcom's take on that type of game and it literally did EVERYTHING better than dark souls. it even had better atmosphere, which was dark souls most lauded thing

Draje

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Because the game is perfectly designed around the weight and decisiveness of the combat. Combos aren't the same thing as depth/skill.

Dark Souls and Bloodborne are about commitment, making the most of small openings, and mental toughness.

Getting better in Bloodborne/Souls isn't about getting new techniques or overpowered abilities, it's about making the most of every movement and efficiency. There's a huge difference between a skilled Soulsborne Player (Guys who can kill the Orphan with no damage and with level 1 weapons).

bogey_j

Daps
Because the game is perfectly designed around the weight and decisiveness of the combat. Combos aren't the same thing as depth/skill.

Dark Souls and Bloodborne are about commitment, making the most of small openings, and mental toughness.

Getting better in Bloodborne/Souls isn't about getting new techniques or overpowered abilities, it's about making the most of every movement and efficiency. There's a huge difference between a skilled Soulsborne Player (Guys who can kill the Orphan with no damage and with level 1 weapons).

play ninja gaiden 2, i'm telling you. it does the exact same thing you're saying here but is a lot more demanding on the player (more mechanical depth, less obvious tells, requires more precision, and goes at 10x the speed of souls)

Last edited:

teacher

All Star
Daps
Just picked up Bayonetta 2 after a long hiatus due to this thread :banderas: if this had blood like NG2 on the 360 it might be the GOAT.

:salute: to thread starter

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
I love these type of games and have been really fiending for one this gen. I may just cop DMC4: SE. I beat DMC4 a long time ago but it may be worth getting it for the new characters.

I still have Bayoneta and since it's backwards compatible I can play it on the Xbone but I absolutely HATE the music and cutscenes in that game. Enough to make me not bother playing through it again.