Why do Xbots pretend like Hellblade is a GOTY contender?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I recently tried to get back into it before i sold my ps4 and I just don’t see it. It’s pretty boring.

And the main character is so unbelievably ugly (slightly slow looking) that it took me out of the experience.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Who said that? Hellblade 2 is going to be a pretty adventure through Iceland. They have a bigger budget and it runs on UE5. I'm sure that it will be on AAA standards. However, that isn't the biggest game they have coming. That is Project Mara.

This title is built ground up for the next gen Xboxes and will feature Ray-Tracing and Direct ML, Microsoft's version of DLSS.

It also helps to know the story of Hellblade 1 as well and how they came to be at Microsoft

Ninja Theory joined Microsoft ‘to be free from the AAA machine’

We split our team of 100 people into several smaller teams which worked mostly on work-for-hire projects. These projects helped to fund our own original game, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice. Our goal was to find a space between indie and AAA and to reclaim our creative independence. It took three years, a team of 20 people, and a budget of $10 million including marketing, but we did it.

With your support, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice sold way beyond our expectations. And that success even gave us the opportunity to give over $100,000 to charity. The game has won dozens of awards, including three Game Awards and an incredible five BAFTAs. And our small act of creative rebellion is inspiring other developers to do the same, to find a middle ground, where high-end, creatively risky games can be successful once again. If we played our cards right, we believed we could get all of our teams to be creatively independent, like the Hellblade team, and we thought that it would probably take five to eight years.

Antoniades (Ninja Theory founder) said the call from Microsoft was unexpected and Ninja Theory wasn’t even looking for an acquisition, but as part of the discussion he articulated the studio’s goals thusly:

We want to be free from the AAA machine and make games focused on the experience, not around monetization. We want to take bigger creative risks and create genre-defining games without the constant threat of annihilation. We want to make our own games our own way, and not be told what to make and how to make it. And above all, we want to protect our team, our culture and our identity. Because above all, that is Ninja Theory. In short, we asked for full creative independence and I remember thinking at the time that this is going to the end of that conversation.

Instead, it resulted in making the decision to join Microsoft as an internal studio. Lastly, Antoniades said:

I’m now convinced that this is an opportunity for us to jump years ahead, to aim higher than we’ve ever dared to, to really fly, without the threat of falling down that’s held us back so much in the past.

We will all learn and see what happens when one of the world's most wealthiest companies stops half-assing and starts grinding while opening the piggy bank for everyone.

Akae Beka

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Y’all are insufferable
CGI trailer one one of the best in Game graphics last gen but one Guy likes to post tech demos to show potential. Ina few years y’all really maaad when series x game start to separate visually

Last edited: