Why do video game reviews matter more than other entertainment medium reviews?

Cantwait

All Star
Daps
Depends on the game.

For example there is not a reviewer alive thats gonna stop me from getting CyberPunk 2077 day 1.

I trust studios more than I trust anything else. Even trailers and game footage can be deceiving. They show something at E3 and it looks completely different in the actual game.
Ubisoft I'm looking at you :ufdup:. But once a studio fukks up their trust it's a wrap. It will damn near need universal acclaim for me to cop another one of their games

Bioware. :ufdup:

Bethesda:ufdup:

It works the other way too. Because sometimes studios that I'm not really checking for drop instant classics and make me go:patrice:

Santa Monica:whoo:

Guerrilla games:whoo:

But my consist day 1 cop no matter what studios
Naughty Dog :blessed:
CD Projekt Red :blessed:

Rockstar:blessed:

Tigron

Superstar
Daps
They don’t/they shouldn’t.
Video game reviewers been bought out.

The Plug

plug couldnt trust you now u cant trust the plug
Daps
It’s also why hyped and long anticipated legacy IP games have great reviews because it drives sales

You have no clue what you're talking about. You have absolutely no evidence that "great reviews" drive sales for these franchises.

Gaming Reviews have always mattered more because the gaming community historically gave them more merit and used them as a way to validate things.
This is true

Video game review scores have a lot influence on how well a game sells
Again, no they do not. Call of Duty for many years had been consistently the best selling game every year, and never was the the top 10 highest rated game of the year. If you look at some of the highest grossing and/or best selling games every year, they're not usually the highest rated games of that year.

A game like Fallout 76 and Anthem are both poorly rated (60 & less metacritic scores) or Destiny (75 meta) were all games that succeeded in player numbers and made lost of money while games like Titanfall & Titanfall 2 (86 & 89 meta) flopped in terms of continuing player base and sales.

Most gamers are not buying games purely off reviews but rather hype, marketing, and popularity of developers and producers.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
You have no clue what you're talking about. You have absolutely no evidence that "great reviews" drive sales for these franchises.

This is true

Again, no they do not. Call of Duty for many years had been consistently the best selling game every year, and never was the the top 10 highest rated game of the year. If you look at some of the highest grossing and/or best selling games every year, they're not usually the highest rated games of that year.

A game like Fallout 76 and Anthem are both poorly rated (60 & less metacritic scores) or Destiny (75 meta) were all games that succeeded in player numbers and made lost of money while games like Titanfall & Titanfall 2 (86 & 89 meta) flopped in terms of continuing player base and sales.

Most gamers are not buying games purely off reviews but rather hype, marketing, and popularity of developers and producers.
My statements weren’t meant to absolutes

And Great reviews are apart of hype and marketing

The Plug

plug couldnt trust you now u cant trust the plug
Daps
My statements weren’t meant to absolutes

And Great reviews are apart of hype and marketing
you are overestimating how much great reviews play into marketing. In almost every year, unless the "great reviewed" game is also really popular, they will likely not make it in the top 10 or top 20.

O³ (O cubed)

No more PAWGs, PLEASE??!!!??
Daps
Reppin
Hackney, London
I disagree with OP's assertion. DmC: Devil May Cry was highly scored when it came out. It struggled to get to 1.2m. That includes heavy discounts post launch. Capcom were hoping to sell at least 3m copies. No matter how much the reviewers said that it was a good game, fans didn't buy it like they did DMC 4.