Why do video game reviews matter more than other entertainment medium reviews?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
No one cares about critic reviews for music and most don’t care about it for movies

If movies or music has an artist, actors or premise that insterest you then you are going to check it out even if critics hate it

If DMC was panned by reviews and had scores in the 50/100 a lot of gamers will not play the game solely because of that.

Is it cost of video games the reason?

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
I think most people for games just rely on the demo, or gameplay they see online. and yea games are also way more expensive so people are gonna rely on several different reviews or first hand betas to make their judgement on something before wasting their money on it like some people did for Fallout 76.

PS5 Pro

DC looking a 1/2 seed right about nuh
Daps
Reppin
The Original Rec Room Gang
No one cares about critic reviews for music and most don’t care about it for movies

If movies or music has an artist, actors or premise that insterest you then you are going to check it out even if critics hate it

If DMC was panned by reviews and had scores in the 50/100 a lot of gamers will not play the game solely because of that.

Is it cost of video games the reason?
Those other forms/mediums of entertainment is free from influence in terms of creativity.

Gamers are people who dedicate portions of their free time to gaming. Today's climate, social media/etc has people feeling really opinionated and so they have more influence, more invested interest in these essentially "poll results"

And just like the polls in this country, shyt is easily rigged. Sony = Trump administration.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I think most people for games just rely on the demo, or gameplay they see online. and yea games are also way more expensive so people are gonna rely on several different reviews or first hand betas to make their judgement on something before wasting their money on it like some people did for Fallout 76.

Yeah it’s all of that plus games are a bigger time commitment so you wanna make sure it’s worth it

But these reviewers have way too much influence and the gaming community knows it. That’s why we got silly things like review embargo’s

It’s also why hyped and long anticipated legacy IP games have great reviews because it drives sales

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Those other forms/mediums of entertainment is free from influence in terms of creativity.

Gamers are people who dedicate portions of their free time to gaming. Today's climate, social media/etc has people feeling really opinionated and so they have more influence, more invested interest in these essentially "poll results"

And just like the polls in this country, shyt is easily rigged. Sony = Trump administration.
My larger point is that the polling as you call it is rigged and does not dictate whether youre going to actually enjoy the game

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
The price and the time investment are completely different.
I'm fine with giving a low rated 2 hour movie a shot for $20 - $30 (If I just straight up buy the movie which I've done many times) or $5 to rent it on a streaming service.
Paying $60 for a game that will demand about 20 hours of my time at an average minimum is a tougher sell.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
The price and the time investment are completely different.
I'm fine with giving a low rated 2 hour movie a shot for $20 - $30 (If I just straight up buy the movie which I've done many times) or $5 to rent it on a streaming service.
Paying $60 for a game that will demand about 20 hours of my time at an average minimum is a tougher sell.
Reviews are a cheap way to advertise too

It just distorts thing because they have underserved power

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Reviews are a cheap way to advertise too

It just distorts thing because they have underserved power
Everything with a grain of salt like they say.
That's what's good about the internet. We have a wide range of different sources to pull from. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.
As far as games, I've been gaming long enough to know whether or not I'll like a game before even playing it.
I use reviews for games that I'm less sure about and to see if a game that I swore was going to be good might have gotten screwed by bugs, DLC, or whatever.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Everything with a grain of salt like they say.
That's what's good about the internet. We have a wide range of different sources to pull from. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.
As far as games, I've been gaming long enough to know whether or not I'll like a game before even playing it.
I use reviews for games that I'm less sure about and to see if a game that I swore was going to be good might have gotten screwed by bugs, DLC, or whatever.

I need to master this as a digital buyer. Also need to filter hype because I fukked myself on MGSV and ME:A. :snoop:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Gaming Reviews have always mattered more because the gaming community historically gave them more merit and used them as a way to validate things.

I think things have calmed down with Social Media, Twitch and betas/demos being available for people to test out. I remember being on Gamespot's forums (System Wars) and the fukkery that would ensue due to game reviews was something else. shyt would be high key hilarious seeing all the stans and fanboys hanging on each major releases review scores to prop up their argument and agenda

:bryan:

I don't think it's like that anymore, but I def remember when it was a death sentence for a game to get a mediocre score from a big time reviewer

Last edited:

Judo

Producer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LevelUp+ 2020 & Beyond
Yep. The Anthem demo was the perfect calling for me to just wait it out till they fix the game. Anthem seem like a really dope game to me, and I wanted to actually play it, but just didn't pass my standards on how a game should be shipped in a state like that.
-----------------
Personally, I stop reading some reviews sites. I usually just check on how other people feel about it, since I'm a very patience type of guy unless it's by a developer I know I can trust. If a demo is out, I'll use it to my best way of seeing if I will enjoy it or not.

Yade

BigJohnsons lol
Daps
Games cost money and time

I rarely pay $60 for a game unless it’s like GTA/Mortal Kombat or something ,