Why do most "Christians" celebrate Xmas in a pagan way?

Mess World

☭☥☤☮☯ψ
Daps
Do you even read your own links? This is what the link you just posted states:

In other words, history profs require the kind of sources found in academic journals, NOT the general consensus information that wikipedia provides, and certainly NOT the random B.S. from personal blogs that you keep posting.

In other words, history profs would love the original sources cited and linked right there in the wikipedia article, like I just said.

There isn't a single source you've posted in this entire debate that would have been acceptable in an academic paper.

If you had to choose between:

1) A wikipedia page
2) A random personal blog
3) A random Coli poster

Which one is most likely to be accurate? :jbhmm:

I'm on here posting links to wikipedia pages AND plenty of links to academics supporting my position. In response, I'm getting random opinions spouted by Coli posters and the occasional personal blog by an "activist athiest" as a response.

Is there seriously the slightest bit of doubt as to who has cited better sources?

My sources are from scholars

So until then either of us start posting primary sources then those no need to debate this any longer

You have yet to post one primary source about Jesus

You're only posting second hand sources

Mess World

☭☥☤☮☯ψ
Daps
Do you even read your own links? This is what the link you just posted states:

In other words, history profs require the kind of sources found in academic journals, NOT the general consensus information that wikipedia provides, and certainly NOT the random B.S. from personal blogs that you keep posting.

In other words, history profs would love the original sources cited and linked right there in the wikipedia article, like I just said.

There isn't a single source you've posted in this entire debate that would have been acceptable in an academic paper.

1) A wikipedia page
3) A random Coli poster

I'm on here posting links to wikipedia pages AND plenty of links to academics supporting my position. In response, I'm getting random opinions spouted by Coli posters and the occasional personal blog by an "activist athiest" as a response.

Is there seriously the slightest bit of doubt as to who has cited better sources?

All
Those accounts by Roman historians they didnt write them during the supposed time of christ they wrote them after so they had to get accounts either by people or just made the stories up

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
My sources are from scholars

So until then either of us start posting primary sources then those no need to debate this any longer

Again, Jesus is discussed in the letters of Paul, in Mark, the Didache, in Matthew, in Luke, at least twice in the historical writings of Josephus, in John, in Tacitus, in Clement's first letter, in the seven letters of Ignatius, in some correspondence by Pliny the Younger, in two places in Suetonius, in Lucian, and in the Jewish Talmud. That's Roman, Greek, Jewish, and Chrsitian souces.

You haven't cited "scholars" as your sources, you've cited clowns. Again, as Bart Ehrman, an actual scholar, states:

Acharya S was not a scholar who could be trusted (in part because she is not a scholar) in the context of eleven rather egregious mistakes that I picked out, more or less at random, in her book.

And Richard Carrier and D.M. Murdock (aka "Acharya S"), the two "scholars" you cited say THIS about each other:

Carrier on Murdock:
One of the reasons Murdock’s methodology goes off the rails is that she assumes everyone is out to get her and that there is always some sort of evil conspiracy against her work. Which insulates her from listening to criticism and correcting the way she does things. That is one of the surest ways to fail as a scholar. It likely also prevents her from having useful dialogs with experts in ancient history. Which is the surest way to make yourself irrelevant as a scholar. But that’s her own lookout.

Murdock on Carrier
Richard Carrier is dishonest, deceptive and hypocritical. He constantly invokes credentialism, while he himself is not an expert on the subject of Jesus mythicism, as he admittedly has not studied the massive body of Jesus mythicist literature dating back centuries. He is doubly hypocritical in making repeated derogatory remarks about my work when he has not studied it. His justifications for such dishonesty are simply excuses to be lazy and to monopolize the field for himself.

Here's an obvious dig at me:

"But obviously there's a zillion more threads to follow on this so I highly recommend that you explore it more thoroughly but, I do recommend not trusting amateur writers unless you hear an expert author tell you to trust them or tell you to look at them. What you want to look for is not websites that talk about how many parallels there are between Jesus and Horus - that's generally crap."

What is "generally crap" is Carrier's assessment of this field. He does not know what he is talking about; his knowledge is very shallow, and his ego is big as a bus, as Earl Doherty observed.

Seriously, you're saying, "trust these two scholars", when the two bloggers you cited don't even trust each other.

I cited and linked to statements by James Rives, Alanna Nobbs, Edwin Judge, Paul Maier, Richard Bultmann, Richard Burridge, Michael Grant, Marcus Borg, Maurice Casey, James Charlesworth, A.E. Harvey, Larry Hurtado, Edwin Judge, J Paget, M.A. Powell, EP Sanders, Graham Stanton, Robert Van Voorst, Geza Vermes, Jeffery Jay Lowder, Craig Evens, Watson Mills, Bart Ehrman, Robert Van Voost, Helen Bond, Paul Eddy, Gregory Boyd, Robert Renehan, William Portier, N.T. Wright, and Andreas Köstenberger. You know, actual scholars with actual professorships at actual accredited universities.

And they weren't only claiming their position was their own personal opinion, but that this is the historical consensus among nearly all scholars.

You can keep on disputing it if you want. But you claimed that nearly all academics believed Jesus didn't exist, and that you could count the ones who disagreed on two hands. I've shown you that the exact opposite is true.

Mess World

☭☥☤☮☯ψ
Daps
i remember 15 years ago someone said on TV there's more books in the book store written about Muhammad Ali than Jesus

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
All
Those accounts by Roman historians they didnt write them during the supposed time of christ they wrote them after so they had to get accounts either by people or just made the stories up

Yes, every historian in the world gets their account from other people. That's why they're a "historian" and not a "journalist".

Hell, even journalists get most of their information from other people.

Now you're saying that even if they talked to people who were there, even if they talked to people who witnessed the events, even if they knew Jesus's disciples themselves...it's not legitimate history unless they were actually there.

That's a standard that no real historian in the world would support, otherwise we wouldn't even have meaningful history.

It's okay for you to claim, "The evidence that Jesus existed isn't personally good enough for me". And then you can make up any crazy criteria you want.

But to claim the opposite, that there's evidence he was made up and didn't exist at all, and then to claim that the scholarly consensus supports your position...those are outright lies.

This was your initial claim:

Your Lol at historians agree Jesus existed ..:mjlol:

Sorry kid mostly all Historians say he didn't.

I can count on 2 hands of historians that say he existed

I've proved that wrong, and you haven't offered the slightest evidence to counter it except that there are a couple athiest activists with no cred among real historians who agree with you....and even they know that most historians state the opposite.

i remember 15 years ago someone said on TV there's more books in the book store written about Muhammad Ali than Jesus

:heh:

And you weren't able to immediately recognize that the statement was obviously false, and irrelevant? :mjlol:

Soon

Banned
Daps

1) A wikipedia page
3) A random Coli poster

These are the Hard copies I own.
RB0dAy2.jpg

Here are what I have on my Kindle, I don't have hard copies, I only bought the Kindle version.
VVKcZbn.jpg

And of course there are countless videos (especially on Netflix/History Channel), blogs, and articles.

I don't knock "Wiki" or "Googling" or "reading quotes" so you can get a snap shot of a topic. But there are huge draw backs in getting information in bits and pieces.

For instance I've read Raymond E Brown work, so I have a better impression of him, versus just reading a quote from his book.

AFRAM GLORY

Superstar
Daps
If they believe the Sabbath day is Sunday you can't expect them to do much else that's not pagan.

Agreed. Most christians are lost in the sauce anyway. Celebrating holi-days like the devils high sabbath halloween, easter(ishtar), and christmas(birth of nimrod) instead of holy days like Passover, Feast of Tabernacles, Day of Pentecost etc.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
These are the Hard copies I own.

Here are what I have on my Kindle, I don't have hard copies, I only bought the Kindle version.

And of course there are countless videos (especially on Netflix/History Channel), blogs, and articles.

:salute:

Glad that someone at least is doing their reading.

No insult intended, but I do want to point out that the books you laid out could easily be covered in two undergraduate courses. The least knowledgeable of the scholars I quoted - hell, even the quacks that Mess World is quoting - have read 100 times as much.

I don't knock "Wiki" or "Googling" or "reading quotes" so you can get a snap shot of a topic. But there are huge draw backs in getting information in bits and pieces.

Of course. No one here should be basing their entire opinion on a few quotes or blurbs.

But when debating such an opinion online, you can't post the text of an entire book. You have to show receipts, and such quotes and blurbs, with the links to the originals provided, are as good of receipts as you're going to find. We were arguing about what the "consensus opinion" of scholars is. Wikipedia and Google are good places to learn about what the academic consensus is fairly quickly. They can be relied on for that. And if something is to be disputed, check the cites that are linked right there, or delve deeper into other books.

When one party is citing ample proof of his exact position from wikipedia and quoting 30-some scholars who agree, and the other party can't provide anything supporting his claim at all*...the wiki passages and quotes begin to look fairly good.

* I say he didn't support his claim at all because he claimed "nearly all" scholars agreed with him. He did end up providing 2 athiest activists and a youtube clip of people who didn't believe in a historical Jesus...but none are serious scholars with an academic position, two are just armchair activists with B.A.'s in history, two of them violently disagreed with each other and said the other was untrustworthy or dishonest, and none of them said that the majority of scholars agreed with their position.

Danie84

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Xmas ornaments stem from burnt Wiccan hung upside down trees in the Colonial Days:demonic:

...but, Ho Ho Ho:ehh:

Wait, perhaps that's where that correlation derives from:lupe:

Soon

Banned
Daps
Glad that someone at least is doing their reading.

No insult intended, but I do want to point out that the books you laid out could easily be covered in two undergraduate courses. The least knowledgeable of the scholars I quoted - hell, even the quacks that Mess World is quoting - have read 100 times as much.

True. I thought the same thing.

Plus Bible scholars learn Hebrew, Greek, French, and German. @Chez Lopez taught himself Hebrew and provided some good links in the "Official Bible Study" Thread on where to learn Hebrew.

I said to myself I would have to become a Bible scholar to truly go in-depth into the Bible, and it is not something I want to do really. And I would go broke buying all the recommended texts. Besides the 1,000's of journal articles they read, they read more than a 1,000 books.

But I do feel some of the additional books I read, documentaries and scholarly discussions I've watched, and historical background I researched which is both Biblical and secular goes a little beyond 2 undergraduate courses. You not going to find 2 undergraduate courses that will go in-depth into Ancient Mesoptamia, Indus Valley, spiritual nature of the Holy Spirit (the term "charism" is no where to be found in academic text, but is a major concept), African Spiritual Systems, controversies between the 3 major Abraham religious such issues with the Temple Mount and holy land.

Of course. No one here should be basing their entire opinion on a few quotes or blurbs.

But when debating such an opinion online, you can't post the text of an entire book. You have to show receipts, and such quotes and blurbs, with the links to the originals provided, are as good of receipts as you're going to find. We were arguing about what the "consensus opinion" of scholars is. Wikipedia and Google are good places to learn about what the academic consensus is fairly quickly. They can be relied on for that. And if something is to be disputed, check the cites that are linked right there, or delve deeper into other books.

When one party is citing ample proof of his exact position from wikipedia and quoting 30-some scholars who agree, and the other party can't provide anything supporting his claim at all*...the wiki passages and quotes begin to look fairly good.

I skipped over most of what you cited, unless it was specifically directed to me...quotes are good, but there are drawbacks if you never read the entire text that it came out of or if you are not familiar with the author's work.

Brown_Pride

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Atheist for Jesus
Coming in late to this but the Sunday before Christmas we got home after church and my 10 year old goes, "so pop, what does all of "this" (pointing to the tree and lights) have to do with Christmas."

So we sat down and read the 2 different parts of the bible where the birth of JC is covered. After that he goes, "uh, so yeah none of this has anything to do with Jesus then right?"

Me: Yup.

Son: So why do we do any of this?

Me: (and to answer the OP's question)
We really don't know when JC was born, but we've sorta decided that Christmas is the day we're going to celebrate his birthday. Now the gift giving is a perversion of the idea of good will and such. (I cited a few videos from "black friday", which I'd shown the kids previously. To which this same son goes, weren't these people just sitting with their families giving thanks for what they had?") WE give gifts to each other to remember God gave us JC as a gift so that we can be saved. What if I were to tell you the tree is part of a pagan religion?

Son: ....i'd ask why we have it up.

Me: Tradition? Honestly we probably shouldn't, but to make a long story short it's an adopted tradition from another religion. Thing is we don't celebrate that religion or the tree in such a way as it was used in that religion, it's just decoration in essence and doesn't really have any religions significance. It's like that picture frame. It's up all year long, but we don't pray to it, or worship it and unless we start dancing around the tree celebrating the solstice it's just that, a decoration. Just keep in mind the reason we have Christmas is to celebrate, even though there's no direction to do so, the birth of JC and we celebrate by giving gifts, as well as reflecting on the purpose of his life and death.

So that's the answer I gave my 3 kids to this very question. Made sense to them.

As a side note, after black friday and my kids watching some of the videos, particularly the one where the lady takes a vegitable steamer from a little girl, we as a family opted to find needy people and give them gifts. The kids were to find friends at school who "needed" things. For instance one son wanted to get shoes for his friend on his bball team who needed them badly. My daughter got her friend a jacket, cause "her mom said she could only afford to get her a sweater".

Christmas has been co opted by, surprise, corporations, it's literally that simple. Understand this and you can avoid many of the pitfalls and do your part to give charitably to those in need be you a Christian or not.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
People will be people.

But the non religious and the Atheist are not informed and not educated don't think and ask questions. Makes me wonder why not target everyone?
well, im not religious and i ask lots of questions. i would wager that most people who are either agnostic or atheist actually put more thought into it than the average religious person. not to say that the conclusions reached are always great, but as a group, people who go against the grain on this issue tend to be doing more critical thinking. many religious systems actively persuade people to not question their beliefs because faith, by definition, is supposed to be based on nothing but blind devotion.