Why didn't we get a Sammy Davis Jr. biopic when Tommy Davidson/Eddie Griffin were in there primes?

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Relax, I read his autobiography, ya'll read his wikipedia.

Sammy Davis Jr. was a dancer first, there is no reason a comedian would have to play him in a movie over just a talented actor. Only reason Eddie Griffin might work is cuz he can dance too. Thats why you got people in here suggesting DC Young Fly lol, cuz the premise is wrong.

Only reason ya'll brought those names up is cuz they liked to do impressions of Sammy, but so did Billy Crystal...sha boing boing man!

By this logic, Jamie should never have played Ray. I know you see that...

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All I can think of, the young black actor can pull it off to play Sammy Davis Jr is

Elijah Kelley

Elijah+Kelley+BET+New+Edition+Story+Premiere+wk-2GUEpB4gl.jpg

@hayesc0 @FeloniousMonk @WesCrook @Luke Cage @Boesky @Get These Nets
I would have to research him honestly don't know his work.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
My money is on him

220px-David_Oyelowo_Golden_Globes.jpg
He, like most british actors (outside of Idris Elba), are not good in roles the require an excess of swag. They need to stick to preacher, lawyer, doctor or accountant type roles. too much theater training, it would be like having Patrick Stewart play Elvis.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Not the same. Jamie being able to actually sing and imitate Ray's voice made him the best choice for the role hands down. Eddie Griffin and Tommy Davidson did Sammy impressions for laughs...by this logic Dave Chappelle should play Rick James, right?

newworldafro

DeeperThanRapBiggerThanHH
Daps
Reppin
In the Silver Lining

The Message

Lex with tv sets the minimum
Daps
i remember reading in gq a few years ago that denzel was pushing super hard for it. he wanted to star and direct, but i guess it fizzled out

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i remember reading in gq a few years ago that denzel was pushing super hard for it. he wanted to star and direct, but i guess it fizzled out
He doesn't look like him facially or his stature but probably would have murdered the role anyway.

FeloniousMonk

Dont mind me..Im a azzhole
Daps
Reppin
Them Lo Lifes...
This is the analogy I was basically making. Nobody thought a dude who was doing this
y5ue23.gif

Was going to star as Ray in a biopic many years later.

Not the same. Jamie being able to actually sing and imitate Ray's voice made him the best choice for the role hands down. Eddie Griffin and Tommy Davidson did Sammy impressions for laughs...by this logic Dave Chappelle should play Rick James, right?
You do KNOW that Jamie had extensive training for the movie Ray?

Yes. He's talented and can sing, but dont act like he could play Ray soon as he was cast for the role, my breh.