Why didn't The Wire kill the hood movie genre?

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
Wire was such a complex well rounded storyline I didn't think people would want to watch simple cliched hood films again.

:dahell:

The wire was hot in the streets and super popular to the same audience that hood films are marketed to.

try again.

Wtf? No it wasn't.

You can't dispute that the show was WILDLY popular with the VERY market that hood films were and are marketed to. Decade earlier NY Undercover was WILDLY popular among most Black audiences across age and region demographics.

Again, no tf it wasn't "WILDLY popular" and yes that CAN be disputed. The Wire was a "sleeper" hit over time sure, but it was NEVER popular "in the streets" and it damn sure didn't take off with paying HBO subscribers on its first run. Honestly, The Wire mostly ate off of cac critics praising it for its "gritty realness" rather than it being a hood hit.

NY Undercover wasn't a smash hit either btw, hence why it got canceled after just 4 years.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I just watched Pain & Music on Amazon. :mjlol:

And Jessica Sinclair’s Thug Love too.

There’s a market for those repetitive ass stories.

scarlxrd

Underground
Supporter
Daps
Being genius shouldn't make lesser minds stop thinking.

It would show how far we can take storytelling.

WesCrook

Veteran
Daps
:dahell:

Wtf? No it wasn't.

Again, no tf it wasn't "WILDLY popular" and yes that CAN be disputed. The Wire was a "sleeper" hit over time sure, but it was NEVER popular "in the streets" and it damn sure didn't take off with paying HBO subscribers on its first run. Honestly, The Wire mostly ate off of cac critics praising it for its "gritty realness" rather than it being a hood hit.

NY Undercover wasn't a smash hit either btw, hence why it got canceled after just 4 years.
Yep. As "popular" as it was, they had to revamp the cast to make it more appealing to whites(plus Tommy, Really?)....a couple times.

They even took away the hip hop music.

It actually got worse..

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
. Decade earlier NY Undercover was WILDLY popular among most Black audiences across age and region demographics. The nielsen numbers gauging all audiences barely registered the show as being viewed. The suits came in and added white characters for ratings and RUINED the show.Not exactly an aberration that a show that's supported by a segment of the audience could be on brink of cancellation.

nycover.jpg

ny_chart.jpg

==

receipts.jpg

Last edited:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
Most people forget "The Wire" wasn't a hit TV show when it was actually on air....so nah, there was no way in hell it could end an entire sub-genre of movies.

Fred.
foreal.
i remember my BM was on the shyt from jump. and when i would go to her spot id be like "cut this bullshyt off and put on the game!"
:deadmanny:

i think OZ might have been the one show the hood was routinely checkin for like that.