Why didn't Biggie fukk wit Craig Mack?

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Look shyt happens.
C Mack was meant to be the #1 guy and held it down with badboys first hit album(or single at least)..... but at the end of the day hiphop is a competitive sport and biggie was just hotter so puff shelfed him for a while. Then Mack felt some kinda way about it and left the label. I can understand how it happened.
The bigger question i always wondered is why was Jay Z overlooked for Mase when it came to finding the next artist to blow and be part of the badboy crew. They must have at least had the conversation.
Jay Z was already much closer to BIG before Mase came around. How did Mase blow up first?

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Big was supposed to be number 2 and C Mack was supposed to be Number 1. But C.Mack and Puff didnt ger along . C.Mack did listen to Puffs suggestions ....didn't accept his guidance and was consistently standoffish...hence his music suffered for it...

Big listened to Puffs advice and made a ton of classuc records .

Macks album dropped to much fanfare..it was received well

Bigs album dropped and fukkED UP THE GAME

Puff pushed the more likable/willing artist and Mack never delivered another hit....he also sabatoged his career by demanding out of BadBoy

This is it, really.

Big never liked Craig's style, but Puff was rocking with Craig.
When Craig didn't wanna switch his style up on the next album, it was the green light to chit on Craig.

It's a shame, but it's the business...

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
Look shyt happens.
C Mack was meant to be the #1 guy and held it down with badboys first hit album(or single at least)..... but at the end of the day hiphop is a competitive sport and biggie was just hotter so puff shelfed him for a while. Then Mack felt some kinda way about it and left the label. I can understand how it happened.
The bigger question i always wondered is why was Jay Z overlooked for Mase when it came to finding the next artist to blow and be part of the badboy crew. They must have at least had the conversation.
Jay Z was already much closer to BIG before Mase came around. How did Mase blow up first?

Jay had already developed Rocafella and was already releasing music Aint No was on the Nutty Professor soundtrack. Why would go be an artist when you own the label?

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Look shyt happens.

Even though I think that's what Jay wanted, he was not the hot commodity that Mase/C.O.T.C. was at the time.

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Jay had already developed Rocafella and was already releasing music Aint No was on the Nutty Professor soundtrack. Why would go be an artist when you own the label?

nah Rocafella came afterwards though. Jay Z had been looking for a label right around the time Mase joined badboy:

The foundation of the rocafella label occurred in 1995, beginning as an independent outlet for rapper Jay-Z's 1st album. After being turned down by several major labels, Carter, Dash and Burke started their own label through Priority, using money from the music videos provided by Payday due to their singles only deal.[1][2] Though Reasonable Doubt didn't immediately attain commercial success, it spawned several hits, and procured Jay-Z a reputation in the hip-hop community. Starting out as Roc-A-Fella's only artist, Jay-Z was supported by The Notorious B.I.G.'s producer DJ Clark Kent and DJ Ski, who was then working with Camp Lo; affiliated rappers, Sauce Money, Jaz-O, and a young Memphis Bleek, though only Bleek would eventually sign with the label. According to Dame, the label had intended on releasing Nas' group The Firm, but the deal fell through.

But I do agree that jay z probably always wanted his own label eventually.

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
nah Rocafella came afterwards though. Jay Z had been looking for a label right around the time Mase joined badboy:

The foundation of the rocafella label occurred in 1995, beginning as an independent outlet for rapper Jay-Z's 1st album. After being turned down by several major labels, Carter, Dash and Burke started their own label through Priority, using money from the music videos provided by Payday due to their singles only deal.[1][2] Though Reasonable Doubt didn't immediately attain commercial success, it spawned several hits, and procured Jay-Z a reputation in the hip-hop community. Starting out as Roc-A-Fella's only artist, Jay-Z was supported by The Notorious B.I.G.'s producer DJ Clark Kent and DJ Ski, who was then working with Camp Lo; affiliated rappers, Sauce Money, Jaz-O, and a young Memphis Bleek, though only Bleek would eventually sign with the label. According to Dame, the label had intended on releasing Nas' group The Firm, but the deal fell through.

But I do agree that jay z probably always wanted his own label eventually.

Ma$e signed in 96 after being discovered backstage at a concert in Atlanta

Rocafella was launched in 95 and Ain't No dropped in 96 as did Reasonable doubt. By the time Ma$e was signed, Jay and Rocafella was already taking off. Big dying made Puff and Jay closer which is why Puff produced In My Lifetime.......even when Big and Jay was collabing, Jay was always in the credits under Rocafella.....

QuintessentialMan

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Ma$e signed in 96 after being discovered backstage at a concert in Atlanta

Rocafella was launched in 95 and Ain't No dropped in 96 as did Reasonable doubt. By the time Ma$e was signed, Jay and Rocafella was already taking off. Big dying made Puff and Jay closer which is why Puff produced In My Lifetime.......even when Big and Jay was collabing, Jay was always in the credits under Rocafella.....

Facts.
You guys are right. That explains it.