Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
It was released the same month as The Matrix, Never Been Kissed, Analyze This and 10 Things I Hate About You.

Life was a victim of competing with an unbelievable box office phenomenon.

I remember the marketing and promo for the film being fine and of course the soundtrack went platinum.

I think people had Eddie Murphy fatigue by 1999 and didn’t give this film a chance.
Eddie Murphy fatigue?

:what:

How is that even possible this and Nutty Professor were the only movies to me that he did that was classic Eddie since Boomerang

Last edited:

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
That part where Eddie was talking about the Boom Boom room and they added the inmates in the vision was so brilliant. I’ve never been to jail but I’d imagine that shyt really happens like that in person. That part is one of if not the best in the whole movie.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
After 1996 the only movies that Eddie did that fared well at the box office were the family friendly joints. Nutty Professor, Daddy Day Care, Dr. Doolittle, etc.

Also, I feel like Life is one of those movies that benefits from nostalgia. The funny parts are really funny, but the movie has a lot of lulls when it's trying to be a "serious" movie.

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
Eddie Murphy had a strong of flops in the 90s and early 00's. Martin never really made box office money like that, except for Bad Boys.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Eddie Murphy had a strong of flops in the 90s and early 00's. Martin never really made box office money like that, except for Bad Boys.
For some reason, Coli posters are hyping up Martin as if he was this big star in Hollywood when that just wasn't the case when you're strictly talking about movies. His TV star power just never translated to the big screen like that.

Last edited:

85 East

DJ D'eeznuts
Daps
For some reason, Coli posters are hyping up Martin as if he was this big star in Hollywood when that just wasn't the case when you're strictly talking about movies.
Martin was a huge star to the black community, but TV was where his money was until Bad Boys. I was today years old when I found out that Martin was actually supposed to be Pookie in New Jack City. He was so upset that Robin Harris died that he didn't do it. Chris Rock took it from there.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
After 1996 the only movies that Eddie did that fared well at the box office were the family friendly joints. Nutty Professor, Daddy Day Care, Dr. Doolittle, etc.

Also, I feel like Life is one of those movies that benefits from nostalgia. The funny parts are really funny, but the movie has a lot of lulls when it's trying to be a "serious" movie.

It's a dramedy

Robbo

All Star
Daps
Great movie.. a ton of great comedians but Eddie took that movie over. I watch it often.