Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Boomerang also got shytted on by critics and THAT movie in my opinion is a classic

Critics REALLY weren’t fukking with black excellence unless it was presented in the form of crime or gansta films. The LA Times said a company with all black CEO’s wasn’t realistic.

Eddie Murphy was a rock star but Life had cacs shown in a poor light lol.. deservedly so. Remember Eddie Murphy was record setting tours and comedy specials and he was the superstar on SNL etc.. but a lot of his record setting movies were when he was surrounded by cacs like Beverly Hills Cop

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
Boomerang also got shytted on by critics and THAT movie in my opinion is a classic

Critics REALLY weren’t fukking with black excellence unless it was presented in the form of crime or gansta films. The LA Times said a company with all black CEO’s wasn’t realistic.
I just want to second this
Boomerang is a great movie and I couldn't believe it got panned by critics like that
even had one critic think it was a sci fi film because it showed black people excelling in the corporate world :snoop:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I don't remember it being promoted like other movies Eddie and Martin were in back in the day.
From what I remember this movie was extremely mismarketed.

I was 13 in 99 and I remember a few trailers and tv spots but it was marketed as a straight comedy when really its a dramedy

Last edited:

AlbertPullhoez

The Takeover
Daps
Reppin
Deuce Dime, TX

Harlem Nights got shyt on by critics too but we fukking love that movie to this day

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I saw this movie in a packed theater when I was 11. I didnt know the movie made that little amount of money when it was released, especially knowing how popular it is.

Dipsey Doo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
It was released the same month as The Matrix, Never Been Kissed, Analyze This and 10 Things I Hate About You.

Life was a victim of competing with an unbelievable box office phenomenon.

I remember the marketing and promo for the film being fine and of course the soundtrack went platinum.

I think people had Eddie Murphy fatigue by 1999 and didn’t give this film a chance.

darealvelle

Real Talk
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
It was released the same month as The Matrix, Never Been Kissed, Analyze This and 10 Things I Hate About You.

Life was a victim of competing with an unbelievable box office phenomenon.

I remember the marketing and promo for the film being fine and of course the soundtrack went platinum.

I think people had Eddie Murphy fatigue by 1999 and didn’t give this film a chance.

Well here is our answer.