Why are people so embarrassed of Disco?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Granted i wasn't from that era but i still rock some of these songs from time to time

i was listening to this track the other day and i thought i was bugging cause the end sounds like some of the music from the movie Rocky
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLHY0Pqeyzw]Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive + Lyrics [Best Version] - YouTube[/ame]

what was actually wrong with Disco? maybe its cause i wasn't dressing like a fool like they were during that era that i don't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Same reason people dont rock with nelly or gunit in 2013, it was on top, played out and people moved on.
fans of hip hip don't look back on say the 90s era of New York hip hop dominance and disown it. or the Cash Money / No Limit era and disown it.

people act like disco was an abomination.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
To me, house/tehcno/progressive is very similar to disco, good party music, I think it is better and takes more talent to create...but the genre is basically putting cliches and platitudes over a hot beat, (like disco) throw in a lot of mdma and coke and people think they are having a religious experience and shyt, disco was very similar, imo. Not that I fukk with disco at all, I just think the comparison is accurate.

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fans of hip hip don't look back on say the 90s era of New York hip hop dominance and disown it. or the Cash Money / No Limit era and disown it.

people act like disco was an abomination.

you being serious right now ?
tv_omar_wire_confused_20120319_1945340871.png

Daps
Reppin
NULL
actually those songs don't sound bad. but when you look at the videos:bryan:

i thinks its the haircuts outfits and imagery that make it seem so dated

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
you being serious right now ?
tv_omar_wire_confused_20120319_1945340871.png
well in all fairness people were saying No Limit was garbage at the time of their dominance so it wasn't like some it was hot then and later a huge backlash hit it. people act like they were in a trance when Disco was out then suddenly hated it. there's some good disco tracks. all eras of music have both good and bad.

Ski Mask

Friendzone: Collection 1
Daps
Reppin
Vegas/seattle
Yeah I really don't understand the hatred disco gets, i mean when it got to the point where this happens:

I start to think it was more than the music they hated

Family Man

Banned
Daps
It was Midwestern and conservative self righteous CACs that brought down disco. Disco is the shyt! I fukks with it.

Metta World Movement

Peace and love...to all!!
Daps
Disco died a death that a lot of hip hop fans used to fear that hip hop would die......until everyone saw hip hop lasted more than two decades, and was most likely here to stay

Disco became corny to white people......I repeat, became corny...to WHITE people. You KNOW something is wack when white people hit it with the :huhldup:

If I recall correctly, a VH1 special I watched touched on this......nikkas was having a strong "Disco Sucks/Disco Is Dead" movement back in the day, and were actually steamrolling disco records during sports events and shyt

It's no surprise people don't take it seriously today.....look at the shyt them dudes was wearing back then, look at the dances. Listen to a lot of the actual disco songs; a lot of them have outdated terms/phrases like "boogie" and "groove", and the lyrics are usually just about going to the disco and boogie-ing/grooving, and not much else :yeshrug:

However, all that said.....there are DEFINITELY some classic disco songs that sound hot even today